Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Is it possible to get CBC(Canada) programming on DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_quietmouse_*

Guest_quietmouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Except for some NHL games on Center Ice, no. CBC Newsworld was on D*, but was bought out by Al Gore and changed to Current a few years ago.

#3 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

The short answer? No. (Feh.)
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#4 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

CBC Would have to approve it and I doubt they would. BBC America would maybe be a good model (limited BBC programming supported by ads). But if you are from Canada, go through your TV listings and see how much American programming shows up on CBC, CTV, Global etc. How many hours of Canadian stuff do you even have to give us?
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Cable systems in the border areas often carry Canadian programming. If I had Comcast (ugh) I could get the Vancouver CBC station. There is a fair amount of Canadian content (I think they have limits on how much U.S. content they are allowed to broadcast.)

I have seen some syndicated Canadian programs on local stations at times.

#6 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

When I was growing up in Burlington, ND (50 miles from Canada.) We had a 10 channel cable system and we had the CBC. Channel 6!

#7 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Cable systems in the border areas often carry Canadian programming.

Yep, all of the cable systems in the Detroit area carry Windsor's CBC channel 9.

#8 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

This actually keeps many folks in the northern tier from getting D*. Thedon'twant to lose CBC.

#9 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

Another question, mostly out of curiosity -- For markets near the Canadian border (Detroit, Buffalo, et cetera), do the D* boxes with OTA inputs (i.e. HR20, AM21) find the local Canadian stations?

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Another question, mostly out of curiosity -- For markets near the Canadian border (Detroit, Buffalo, et cetera), do the D* boxes with OTA inputs (i.e. HR20, AM21) find the local Canadian stations?

I don't know about the other areas, but not in Seattle. Supposedly if you can find another area with the same real/virtual channels you can use that ZIP code to allow the tuner to select the station (of course, the guide data will be wrong). The Canadian digital stations apparently run pretty low power levels, so OTA won't be an option for many folks.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

I remember when I lived in Erie, PA, years ago we'd get CKCO (Kitchener), CHCH (Hamilton), and CFPL (London) on cable. We'd watch the original "You Can't Do That On Television" shows, Curling every Saturday afternoon, senior men's Hockey Sunday afternoons, etc. and Hockey Night in Canada (when CFPL was still a CBC affiliate). It was great.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Try http://www.kusat.com...p?path=/dbs.php for info on Canadian DBS systems.

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

Since they don't do an OTA scan, they couldn't find the Canadian stations. But Windsor doesn't have any OTA DTV stations anyway, so it's a moot point in Detroit.

#14 OFFLINE   fredandbetty

fredandbetty

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Since they don't do an OTA scan, they couldn't find the Canadian stations. But Windsor doesn't have any OTA DTV stations anyway, so it's a moot point in Detroit.

True, but you gotta admit nothing beats the ol' rabbit ears and Don Cherry on 'Hockey Hight In Canada!' LOL!!!
5-LNB Dish, AT9 Dish, Zinwell multiswitch
2- HR20-700 ( Ver. 0x038E) HDMI connection, Native - On, Animations -OFF :) , R15-100 and R15-300
Mitsubishi 52"

AT&T U-verse Internet

#15 OFFLINE   FUCCO

FUCCO

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

i have a hr20 and live in buffalo ny. I can get cbc hd with my hr20. i used a secondary zipcode for my ota channels out of arkansas. It is a pbs channel 5-1 that broadcasts on digital channel 20. Anyway the guide data is wrong but i dont care, With my db8 antenna i get cbc HD in all its glory

#16 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

One of the reasons I subscribed to DirecTV six and a half years ago was because they carried the CBC produced Newsworld International. Sadly with its sale to Al Gore it changed to the silly Current channel which I've never watched.

DirecTV needs an international perspective on the news but we aren't going to get it from the CBC or even BBC Newsworld which DirecTV continues to refuse to provide, which makes the US about the only place on the planet where BBC Newsworld isn't available 24/7...

#17 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

There are pepole in Canada that have used a US address go get Directv in the past. I dont know if this still happens but not having CBC may help cut down on this.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#18 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

when i had a house with a 10ft wineguard, id always watch the canadian stuff..loved much music

all those stations still around free on bud?
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#19 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

CBC would be terrific to have during the Olympics because, from what I understand, they actually show most of the action live. And they'll actually show track events that don't have prominent Americans, which NBC rarely does.
HR22-100

#20 OFFLINE   TahoeTeal

TahoeTeal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hockey Night In Canada is available on DirecTV on the NHL channel 215 every Saturday.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...