Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KTEN ch 10 in Sherman/Ada having contract problems

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

Looks like KTEN may be the next channel to get shut off. Seems they want their CW digital subchannel to be carried.

http://www.kten.com/...y.asp?S=9566068
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

No loss just use a TV antenna and a built in ATSC tuner or a converter box. Their service area is small enough and their OTA coverage is in most cases adequate that they won't be missed.

#3 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

Looks like KTEN may be the next channel to get shut off. Seems they want their CW digital subchannel to be carried.

http://www.kten.com/...y.asp?S=9566068

Who has their sub-channels as well as their primary channel carried via satellite? It's one thing to get them into the guide so that the DVR features can be used via an OTA, but there are too many areas who don't even have even a few of their primary channels on the dish to be complaining about sub-channels.

#4 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

No loss just use a TV antenna and a built in ATSC tuner or a converter box. Their service area is small enough and their OTA coverage is in most cases adequate that they won't be missed.

Heck, I'll just watch NBC 5 via OTA, thats what I do anyways because you cannot get 10 from my house if you are pointed at dallas with the antenna. I have managed to get 12 while still pointed at dallas but not 10. Channel 10 news shows too much Oklahoma stuff for me anyways, if I do watch local news I watch on 12, otherwise I watch news from Dallas. I agree, no big loss.

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

Who has their sub-channels as well as their primary channel carried via satellite? It's one thing to get them into the guide so that the DVR features can be used via an OTA, but there are too many areas who don't even have even a few of their primary channels on the dish to be complaining about sub-channels.

I agree, my guess is that they are mad that their rivals KXII cbs 12 do have a digital subchannel carried by dish but it is a FOX feed and it is also an HD feed if E* so chooses to ever sell HD feeds in this market. KXII also has a MYTV sd only digital subchannel, I have been told by people at KXII that last contract they offered it to E* and they declined so, I doubt KTEN will get very far with this deal. If they really wanted the customer to have choice, they could evoke must carry on E* but, then they would not get paid so my guess is that this is a money deal more than anything.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Heck, I'll just watch NBC 5 via OTA, thats what I do anyways because you cannot get 10 from my house if you are pointed at dallas with the antenna. I have managed to get 12 while still pointed at dallas but not 10. Channel 10 news shows too much Oklahoma stuff for me anyways, if I do watch local news I watch on 12, otherwise I watch news from Dallas. I agree, no big loss.

South of you in Gunter I have the main antenna aimed for Dallas and a Radio Shack UHF aimed North for 10 & 12 but only connected to a Garage TV and the only channel I usually watch is 10.3 weather radar. Like you I really don't care about OK news.:)

#7 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

http://www.lockwoodbroadcast.com/

Here is the website to KTEN's parent company if anybody is interested. I can't make any of the links work on this corny thing. Apparently Lockwood owns two other stations besides KTEN. Both are CW affliates that are not carried by E*. I don't see that KTEN has much leverage and the won't say how much more precentage wise they on this contract vs. the last one.

#8 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

Still no deal made, both sides claim they are working on it but, I got a gut feeling it is going to get shut off. KTEN was allowing people to leave comments on their webpage about this at www.kten.com none of the comments being left were in KTEN's favor so at first they were erasing comment that they did not like but now they have pulled the comments all together.

#9 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

I just spoke with a E* CSR and they say that KTEN is going to get dropped tonight. Has not happened yet guess we will have to see what happens.

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

The CSR was correct. :confused:

#11 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Apparenty, woke up to a message from Eric Stahl. Wonder how long this is going to take.

#12 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

I just noticed that if you search availble locals from my address on the E* website, they have already pulled KTEN off the list.

#13 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

KTEN has an update about the dispute on their website. www.kten.com

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

However, Dish Network is among one of satellite/cable companies that have not yet come to terms with Lockwood Broadcasting to keep KTEN on their channel lineups in 2009 ...

So they could leave other systems.

In addition to our NBC programming, our station also broadcasts local Texoma CW as a digital multicast which DISH is refusing to carry. We believe DISH should be willing to provide you with our local CW programming. Our request is reasonable and will provide you with more programming options.

And they want carriage of the CW feed.

DISH is not stating what "unreasonable contract terms" and what level of "excessive programming rate" KTEN wants. DISH carries KXII 12 CBS and KIIID 20 Fox so carrying the subchannel shouldn't be unreasonable.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

There are a couple of critical facts omitted from KTEN's web site.

First Lockwood Broadcasting Group owns the CW station in two other DMA's, Charleston, West Virginia, and Huntsville, Alabama.

Second, to date, Dish has essentially avoided the huge uplink costs and use of scarce satellite transponder space for The CW HD stations in most DMA's.

Lockwood states on the KTEN web site:

In addition to our NBC programming, our station also broadcasts local Texoma CW as a digital multicast which DISH is refusing to carry. We believe DISH should be willing to provide you with our local CW programming. Our request is reasonable and will provide you with more programming options.

You need to understand that Lockwood is essentially attempting to tie it's The CW franchise to its NBC franchise. So in order for Dish subscribers to watch the upcoming Superbowl, you all will ultimately have to pay for "Gossip Girl" to be retransmitted.

I don't blame Lockwood for this situation. Like all local station owners they are trying to maximize profits earned on a license issued "in the public interest" by the federal government. They explain who you should be communicating with right on their web site:

...Congress allows us - and all TV stations - to negotiate contracts....

What they don't say is that the basic principle of the law is a "must carry" provision that can be exercised by the station owner but in return does not allow them to charge cable and satellite providers. The stations have to make it on their advertising revenue. Most The CW stations are struggling to make it. Lockwood is trying legalized blackmail by holding the Superbowl hostage and has sent out a ransom note:

Since it doesn't appear likely that Dish is willing to negotiate any further in the immediate future we encourage viewers interested in watching upcoming events such as the Super Bowl to seek alternate methods to receive KTEN's signal, to enable you to can keep watching KTEN programming. Those options include cable services....

#16 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

So they could leave other systems.And they want carriage of the CW feed.

DISH is not stating what "unreasonable contract terms" and what level of "excessive programming rate" KTEN wants. DISH carries KXII 12 CBS and KIIID 20 Fox so carrying the subchannel shouldn't be unreasonable.

Yes, I guess they might leave other systems but, it does say they are "among one" so I don't know if that means they are having problems withother providers or if they are trying to make it sound like they are. As for carrying fox 20, it is a subchannel but, it is broacast in HD so it could be carried in HD on E* in the future. It is also part of the big four and carries the Cowboys games sometimes. I do not see E* agreeing to carry this CW subchannel because KXII (who own the CBS and FOX channels) also have a MYTV subchannel and I spoken with a guy that works there and he told me that the MYTV channels has been offered to E* numorous times and they have always declined. Again, that might change next time if Lockwood is sucessful with this little deal.

#17 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

There are a couple of critical facts omitted from KTEN's web site.

First Lockwood Broadcasting Group owns the CW station in two other DMA's, Charleston, West Virginia, and Huntsville, Alabama. :

This is true, and to date I have not been able the get an answer if they are trying to force E* to carry these 2 as part of the deal, (because E* does not carry either of them now) or if they just want the 10.3 Texoma CW carried.

Second, to date, Dish has essentially avoided the huge uplink costs and use of scarce satellite transponder space for The CW HD stations in most DMA's.:

Again you are correct, which makes me think this is even more unlikly to happen because this channel is not an HD feed therefore never could be broadcast this way in the future if E* wanted to.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

This is true, and to date I have not been able the get an answer if they are trying to force E* to carry these 2 as part of the deal, (because E* does not carry either of them now) or if they just want the 10.3 Texoma CW carried.

Per Lockwood's website:

LBG owns 3 stations at this time - WHDF The Valley’s CW, a CW affiliate out of Huntsville, AL; KTEN, a NBC affiliate out of Denison, TX; and WQCW, a CW affiliate out of Portsmouth/Charleston/Huntington, West VA.

All three were on DISH Network and taken down overnight on New Year's Eve. WHDF and WQCW were apparently returned about 90 minutes ago.

KTEN wants their Sherman/Ada CW subchannel carried.

Again you are correct, which makes me think this is even more unlikly to happen because this channel is not an HD feed therefore never could be broadcast this way in the future if E* wanted to.

Not being a HD feed would be a bonus. It takes up less satellite space. DISH could make an agreement to carry the subchannel in HD if KTEN produces one for them (we have two low power stations in my market that produced their feeds in HD and delivered them to cable in HD for more than a year before they transmitted HD over the air).

DISH was convinced to carry "UPN Michiana" by our local CBS affiliate that had UPN as a subchannel. The UPN network is long gone (the CW was picked up by the former WB affiliate in my market) but the subchannel exists as an independent non-network feed. And DISH still carries it. (DISH also carries two of the three low power TV stations in my market. Primarily because the owner had full power stations elsewhere and negotiated an "all our stations" deal.)

Seeing WHDF and WQCW return is positive. Hopefully KTEN is next.

#19 OFFLINE   joe42

joe42

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Kind of disappointed its not on there but its not a huge loss for me. There's other ways to watch tv show. It'll actually give my DVR a bit of a rest and it probably needs it.

I wonder if this is why the Sherman/Ada channels haven't gone to HD yet. They saw there was a chance one of them was about to get axed and decided just to hold off on the whole area.

It'd be nice if they carried the CW channel but I'm already getting the superstations and being in different time zones I can record more shows when several come on at the same time that way.

It'd be nice if they'd give us an alternate to get the NBC (and ABC since they're not in our DMA) out of OKC or Dallas.

Edit:

I thought about it a little more and based on everything I've read and heard over the years I put the blame more in KTEN's corner.

Just a few things.

DirectTV doesn't even carry are locals. I wonder if its because KTEN is hard to negotiate with and they figure that only leaves the KXII set so why bother since its so small.

When we signed up for All-American Direct to get an ABC station we also were given the option for a FOX and CBS East and West coat feeds if we wanted. We couldn't get the NBC one. KXII signed a waiver allowing it but KTEN refused.

I know there's gonna be a lot of people ticked around Superbowl time. Lucky for me I don't watch it.

Edited by joe42, 03 January 2009 - 08:54 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I have spoken with a lady from KTEN over the phone this morning. She said they have been told that Lockwood is in talks this morning with E* and that it looks more promising than it has previously. Maybe "soon" KTEN will be back on.

spam firewall