Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changes to DirecTV Mas/Spanish packages on Jan 22nd

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonyquan

tonyquan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Just got a postcard saying that the following channels are being dropped from DirecTV Mas Spanish packages on January 22nd:

BET
BET Jazz
Current TV
Fine Living
GSN
SOAPNet
VH1 Classic
Fox News Channel
Country Music TV
ESPN2

The following channels are being added (all appear to be Spanish music channels):

Fiesta Tropical (870)
Latin Contemporary (871)
Musica de las Americas (872)
Regional Mexican (873)
Salsa (874)
Hurbano (875)
Mariachi (876)
Carnaval Brasileiro (877)
Rock en Espanol (878)
Latin Jazz (879)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PicaKing

PicaKing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

Muy malo
Slimline 5 LNB
HR20-100 attached to Panasonic 42" plasma via HDMI
HR10-250
HR21-700
HR22
D-15
Some really old SD receiver out on the deck

#3 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

those spanish music channels are already available so i don't understand why they are making this change...

why do they continue to take away english channels? do they think spanish ppl dont watch BET???

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#4 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

the only channel i would miss out of all those is espn2,that said i dont understand why directv feels they have to remove those channels only to replace them with music channels.

#5 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is an outrage. They're taking away our english channels so they can force us to watch latino shows. America is an english speaking country.

#6 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

This is an outrage. They're taking away our english channels so they can force us to watch latino shows. America is an english speaking country.

I think this only applies to the Spanish package, not the mainstream packages.
TNT: WE KNOW INTERRUPTIONS
TBS: TURNER BROADCASTING SUCKS
NBC: NATIONAL BOREDCASTING COMPANY

#7 OFFLINE   Lyle Thorogood

Lyle Thorogood

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

Well, this sucks... So I am forced to watch CNN instead of Foxynews and VH1 Classic will really tick off my teen if she losses it. ESPN2 is a real loss for me as well.

That's ok. I need to drop Showtime anyway.

They start to penny pinch my package, I will do the same to them. :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Anyone have any info on how this will affect the older packages, e.g., Opcion Ultra Especial, etc?
HR20-100
HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

those spanish music channels are already available so i don't understand why they are making this change...

why do they continue to take away english channels? do they think spanish ppl dont watch BET???

Confirmed. I just checked and I am getting all of the music ch's listed above rite now

WTF?!?!
:mad::mad::mad:
HR20-100
HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

ummmm maybe...Most people that have the spanish package only watch the spanish channels. If you want to watch english channels move over to an english package. I think you still get some spanish ones like univision.

#11 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

dude, your crazy...why do you even have a spanish package then?

#12 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Confirmed. I just checked and I am getting all of the music ch's listed above rite now

WTF?!?!
:mad::mad::mad:

What package do you have? Maybe he has a different package then you?

#13 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

i have SELECTION ULTRA and i currently get all those SONIC music channels as well.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#14 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

I have Opcion Ultra especial. I beleive it is ~to the current familiar ultra, i.e., i rec all the ch's listed in that package...
HR20-100
HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

just saw the notice as well. pretty pissed specially with fox news, espn2 and gsn.

Some would probably be pissed about bet as well.

Just finishing up talking to D* for over an hour trying to figure this out. Two prior calls where 'disconnected' mysteriously.

They have no clue who is being affected. Most likely those on the new packages will definitely loose them, but who knows to those of us still on Opcion.

I know there's a way to either add the spanish tiers to an english package or the other way around, for $10 or $20. Now, in order to reduce costs, I might drop to a smaller package, however not sure what is the list of the extra channels this way...

The spanish channels I'm interested in are in the basic spanish packages, but there's always been some english ones that I've been interested on to get opcion ultra.
°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================

#16 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I know there's a way to either add the spanish tiers to an english package or the other way around, for $10 or $20. Now, in order to reduce costs, I might drop to a smaller package, however not sure what is the list of the extra channels this way...

The spanish channels I'm interested in are in the basic spanish packages, but there's always been some english ones that I've been interested on to get opcion ultra.

I've also considered changing over 2 an english package; I've always missed ESPN classic, WGN, BBCA, FMC choice, DHC, and the mix ch's (news and sports).

For me, switching over to choice extra would b $9 more per month, and then adding the spanish ch's would add another $20/mo. I'd prob drop a premium or 2 in the process to offset some of that....

I've made a couple of calls as well.....could not get a clear answer whether the older packages will b affected or not.....and to top it off, am not rec the MLB network.....:mad:
HR20-100
HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   donjuan2007

donjuan2007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Do Directv want people to cancel service, are there are out of there minds, is you take ESPN2 you will take the campions league and a lot people will be piss very piss,, who runs the spanish channels a stupid person.

#18 OFFLINE   donjuan2007

donjuan2007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

Yes for you informations America is 75% spanish speaking countrys, Now if you talking about, North America that's another story. Have a wonderful day!

#19 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

Wow...I don't understand why D* is making changes that hurts viewers choices. Especially when the dish companies are being faced with losing viewers to improved alternatives. Additionally, adding music channels that are already there???? How does that make sense? It's like the Italian package they offer (it offers Fox Soccer Channel and Goltv as an italian package). That's the Italian package! They might as well include PBS as part of the Italian package too as I have seen Mary Ann Esposito cooking on it. Kind of fits the D* rationale.

#20 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

Do Directv want people to cancel service, are there are out of there minds, is you take ESPN2 you will take the campions league and a lot people will be piss very piss,, who runs the spanish channels a stupid person.

I think that they want us to switch to the corresponding English package (Premier for me) and then add on the $20 Spanish package. Therefore they just made $20 bucks more per person.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...