Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can 2 computers share the auto shutdown data port on a UPS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

I have 2 computers (actually a desktop computer and a small Windows home server box) connected to my APC UPS. I would like to connect both of them to the USB-data port connection on the UPS so that they will both shut down automatically if power fails. But, there is only one data port on the back of the UPS. I have 2 of the data port to USB converter cables. Can I get a splitter - like a telephone splitter but one sized for a data connector - and use that to share the data port on the UPS so that both computers can take advantage of the shutdown feature?

Thanks.

HR20-700 (networked) with 750gb eSATA drive via HDMI to Panasonic 42" HD plasma
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Pioneer 50" HD plasma with customized URC Complete Control MX-3000 touch screen remote using RF
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Samsung 19" HD LCD
H20-100 via HDMI to Toshiba 19" HD LCD
H20-100 (now retired and collecting dust) via HDMI<DVI to Sony 42" HD plasma
H21-100 via HDMI to Sony 40" HD LCD (in outdoor pavillion)

SWMLine dish

DirecTV since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Use a client, use a APC server (business version) with an agent - all that features you could research at APC web site.

#3 OFFLINE   TonyDigital

TonyDigital

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

I have 2 computers (actually a desktop computer and a small Windows home server box) connected to my APC UPS. I would like to connect both of them to the USB-data port connection on the UPS so that they will both shut down automatically if power fails. But, there is only one data port on the back of the UPS. I have 2 of the data port to USB converter cables. Can I get a splitter - like a telephone splitter but one sized for a data connector - and use that to share the data port on the UPS so that both computers can take advantage of the shutdown feature?

Thanks.

Hi,

I don't think the USB hub would work, your best bet it to set up the APC PowerChute software. If you set up the APC client on the second machine, you could control both of them from one machine.

The APC PowerChute business edition is free of charge, you can download it from APC's site:

apc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=SFPCBE704

Good luck!

Tony,
ExcessUPS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...