Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22 DVR and SD satelite signal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

I have the SD 18" dual LNB satelite system and want to install the HD DVR 22 I just picked up. I want to activate it now and install the HD content and slimline 3LNB SWM at a later date. Will this work? Do I need to do anything other than tell D that I replace a DVR?
Thanks
What is the BBC?
Do I use them on standard dual LNB and then remove them whe I switch to SWM?????

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

Yes, you can use your new HD DVR with the old 18" dish. Just call DirecTV and activate it on your account. When you connect the HD DVR you'll want to specify "18" Single LNB Round Dish" as your dish type. Of course, you won't receive any of the HD channels. And you don't need the BBCs with this dish, or when you install your SWM dish.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Great! Thanks for the quick response!
Yes, I want to replace my SD DVR with the new HD DVR22 I picked up tonight and then upgrade to HD a little further down the road.
Not using the BBC will not damage the reciever, right? It only converts signals to a different frequency, right. No damage can occur either way, right?

Thanks so much! :)

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,938 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

That is correct, it won't damage anything. You could connect it, but it won't affect operation (and it shouldn't be connected with a SWM).

#5 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Yes it will work with an 18" round, but according to the current directv policy, they are supposed to charge you an HD access fee simply for having HD equipment on the account. Depending on the CSR you get during activation, you may end up paying the additional $10 a month whether you're actually receiving HD channels or not.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#6 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thanks,
it's working now, does anyone know the slimline dish I need for zip code 20879 with HD locals?
I can't seem to find out if I need a 3 lnb or 5.
When I powered up, it was looking for a 3lnb.
Thanks all. :)

#7 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well, if you have no line of sight issues, you can't go wrong with the SL5.....on the offhand chance you happen to be in a market that puts locals on the 110/119 sats you will then be covered. Do you have Washington DC locals?

#8 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

yes, it's washingtgon dc locals.

spam firewall