Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM installed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alaluci

alaluci

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

I'm at my inlaws for the holidays - they had Directv installed a couple months ago and I'm confused. It was a brand new install - new house, no dish ever installed. My confusion - Would the Directv installer install a DVR in their living room and leave one of the tuners non-functional? Or is it possible that the install included a SWM? The DVR is an R16, so it's SWM capable - there is only one sat-in wire coming in from the wall it's hooked up to the connector labeled 1 with SWM-2 below it. The installer ran no additional wiring - just from the dish to the existing cable distribution box on the outside of the house. I haven't used the SWM technology, so I am unfamiliar ...

Granted, my father-in-law is somewhat clueless, but even he realized that he couldn't record and watch at the same time! I find it hard to believe that the installer would do it this way.

Is there any telltale sign I can check to see if there is a SWM installed? From what I can see (I got here after dark), it appears that just two cables were run from the dish to the distribution block - didn't see any power, etc ....

If they did leave it this way, will a phone call to Directv get another installer out here to do it right? Does the SWM cost more? I would think not on a new install.

btw, they're only using the one DVR - they're not big tv people - and it would be a pita to try and run another cable to their living room ....

Thanks for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

Well if a swm was installed it isn't functioning correctly because he should be able to record 1 thing and watch something else or record 2 things at once. 2 lines coming from the dish is a pretty sure sign it isn't a swm setup. The only SWM used in home installs is the SWM lnb which would only have 1 wire coming from the dish. The other easy dead give away is a SWM requires a power inserter hooked up someplace. The power inserter is a box with a coax in and out and a power cord and it doesn't sound like they have one.

Additionally the initial requirements to get a SWMlnb where a new install with 5+ total tuners and at least 1 HD-dvr. They probably didn't meet these requirements and got a normal LNB selected by the system for their install.

As to why I think you answered the question yourself. It would be a pita to run another cable.

DirecTV should fix the issue but if it's been 90 days since the install it probably won't be covered under the initial install sadly.

#3 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:57 AM

Maybe I'm wrong but with my SWM-8 I can see the SWM software version in the systems information now and that wasn't there until I hooked up it up two days ago. Since the OP's situation is the dish wouldn't it show the SWM dish in the setup and possibly the software too? Secondly, and it's a mistake I made on one of my DVR's, I'd suggest looking at the DVR setup menu to make sure dual tuners are enabled.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

I'd bet that the installer put up a non-Slimline dish (don't need a Slimline for standard-def) and simply didn't run a second line. Installers are supposed to run both lines unless the customer refuses, but there are lazy installers who will not run that line if they can get away with it.

Of course, DirecTV doesn't pay installers to run the second line; they just insist that it gets done, so you can see why installers try to get away with not doing it.

#5 OFFLINE   dothdewman

dothdewman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Well thats not true, if the tv is on an exterior wall then the 2nd line should have been run, but if its on a interior wall and the cable cannot be routed neatly from the exterior wall to dvr location then a wall fish may be needed and there is a fee for wall fishing, so at least the installer should have given them an option.

#6 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

The one clue if you had a SWMLine dish would be there would be a power inserter plugged in somewhere. It doesn't sound like there is. SWM technology requires power for it to work. I would look around for a grey box that is plugged into the wall and would have two coax cables plugged into it. You can also check under that satellite signals(in the menu under system settings) there would be a setting that you switch through the different satellites that would say SWM.
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

spam firewall