Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installer in Los Angeles Area

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   programmer

programmer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

I have just completed the installation of a 5-LNB DirecTV satellite dish, SWM-8 and the associative cabling. Would it be possible for me to call DirecTV to have them align the satellite dish prior to activation of the new HR-20 DVR's?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

Sure. It won't be free, but they'll be happy to do it.

#3 OFFLINE   programmer

programmer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

I am already a DTV customer who is upgrading to HD. Why would they charge me to do this service?

#4 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Do you have the service protection plan? If you don't...........they come, you pay.

#5 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

call them and see.. they may do the realign as part of a free install..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#6 OFFLINE   programmer

programmer

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

I have installed all the equipment, 5-LNB dish, SWM8 and all the cables myself. All that I need is a professional who has the equipment to correctly align the dish. Once the dish is aligned, then I can call DTV and have my account updated with the two HR-20 DVR's that I purchased from weakness.

So will DTV align the dish for free in this instance? Any suggestions on how I should approach DTV on this issue?

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

It's pretty unlikely that you're going to get a free service call, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. But generally, upgrades have to go through DirecTV in order to get a free installation. If you go outside DirecTV, then you're on your own. It costs DirecTV money to roll a tech, and they generally only pay that money if you get your upgrade from them. From DirecTV's perspective, they don't have an upgrade work order from you, so they assume you still have the equipment they show on your account. If you called to have your existing dish realigned, and didn't have the protection plan, you'd be paying for that, so this isn't any different to them.

Now, you might get lucky and they might do it for you for free. If you're nice to the CSR and explain that you paid all the other costs of the upgrade, they might just do it, but don't *expect* it, because officially, you're responsible for alignment on any dish they didn't install.

#8 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

I have installed all the equipment, 5-LNB dish, SWM8 and all the cables myself. All that I need is a professional who has the equipment to correctly align the dish. Once the dish is aligned, then I can call DTV and have my account updated with the two HR-20 DVR's that I purchased from weakness.

So will DTV align the dish for free in this instance? Any suggestions on how I should approach DTV on this issue?

If your a loyal customer they can give you a free sc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...