Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can one dish handle 5 receivers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bpob

bpob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I currently have a 5 lnb dish in which an HR 20 is hooked up along with 2 SD receivers. D* is coming out on Monday to install a second HR20 to replace a SD receiver and place 2 more SD receivers so I will have a total of 5 receivers (2 HD and 3 SD). Can the one dish handle all 5 or will I have to add a second dish? I have heard of a multi-switch (just don't know if I have one). If I don't have a multi-switch, will the installer have one on the truck?

Would a multi-switch been installed when I first got HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

One dish can easily support 32 receivers or 16 DVRs without blinking. I know--I've got 12 receivers hooked to one dish right now. :)

If you really want to grow, you can get amplifiers that will allow one dish to handle roughly an unlimited number of receivers. :)

Yes, to get beyond 4 tuners, the dish needs a switch which takes 4 lines and turns that into 8 or 16 tuners. (With a Single Wire Multiswitch, it might be just one cable out, but 8 tuners are supported.)

I have my dish lines each going to a 4 way splitter. Then each of the 4 lines goes to a switch, giving me 32 tuners. (Two are SWM, two are 6x8 switches.)

Have fun!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

One dish can easily support 32 receivers or 16 DVRs without blinking. I know--I've got 12 receivers hooked to one dish right now. :)

If you really want to grow, you can get amplifiers that will allow one dish to handle roughly an unlimited number of receivers. :)

Yes, to get beyond 4 tuners, the dish needs a switch which takes 4 lines and turns that into 8 or 16 tuners. (With a Single Wire Multiswitch, it might be just one cable out, but 8 tuners are supported.)

I have my dish lines each going to a 4 way splitter. Then each of the 4 lines goes to a switch, giving me 32 tuners. (Two are SWM, two are 6x8 switches.)

Have fun!
Tom

Tom, do you have a diagram of your setup that you could post? Because of older, existing setups, I now have a sort of kluge of cable routings. I have 3 cables leading from my Slimline dish to two HR20's in my family room. They are routed along the eaves and down the outside of the house.The fourth cable comes through the attic, and was part of an old, SD setup. There is a fifth cable routed through the attic, that was connected to an SD receiver in an upstairs office, and this is where I want to put an H21. I will then have a total of five tuners. The fifth cable is still connected to an SD receiver, and the other end of it is rolled up and taped to the base of the dish mounting. I am not clear on which multiswitch I need, and I don't know if multiswitches are weather proof. Last question -- have you ever experienced any signal degradation that could be attributed to the multiswitch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#4 OFFLINE   bpob

bpob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Thanks, is the multi-switch part of a normal installation when one upgrades to HD? I'm curious if I even have one that was originally installed.

If a don't, will the installer typically carry one?

#5 OFFLINE   Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, is the multi-switch part of a normal installation when one upgrades to HD? I'm curious if I even have one that was originally installed.

If a don't, will the installer typically carry one?

Assuming you will need more than 4 lines (and you will) a multiswitch should be provided by the technician doing the upgrade automatically.

If you needed fewer than four lines when you were originally installed, they likely didn't install a separate multiswitch as the one integrated into the dish would have been able to handle the connected receivers.
-) They are listening... don't stop complaining... just do it constructively...
-) Be true to yourself and be good to one another... this is a community, not a barroom...
-) Keep the CE alive by participating... giving feedback... giving ideas

-Earl Bonovich

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

With the proper equipment, a single dish can in theory run a nearly unlimited number of receivers.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Tom, do you have a diagram of your setup that you could post? Because of older, existing setups, I now have a sort of kluge of cable routings. I have 3 cables leading from my Slimline dish to two HR20's in my family room. They are routed along the eaves and down the outside of the house.The fourth cable comes through the attic, and was part of an old, SD setup. There is a fifth cable routed through the attic, that was connected to an SD receiver in an upstairs office, and this is where I want to put an H21. I will then have a total of five tuners. The fifth cable is still connected to an SD receiver, and the other end of it is rolled up and taped to the base of the dish mounting. I am not clear on which multiswitch I need, and I don't know if multiswitches are weather proof. Last question -- have you ever experienced any signal degradation that could be attributed to the multiswitch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'll work on one :)

Is the line going into the attic anywhere near the 3 lines going under the eaves? If you've got a convenient place, in the attic or under the eaves, I'd put in a WB68 and run lines from the dish to there and connect the existing lines to the switch. Then you have spare ports to connect more tuners. :)

BTW, I've usually been able to have DIRECTV do the work if I'm adding a receiver. (Or at least supply the parts. I usually do the work.) :)

Good luck,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'll work on one :)

Is the line going into the attic anywhere near the 3 lines going under the eaves? If you've got a convenient place, in the attic or under the eaves, I'd put in a WB68 and run lines from the dish to there and connect the existing lines to the switch. Then you have spare ports to connect more tuners. :)

BTW, I've usually been able to have DIRECTV do the work if I'm adding a receiver. (Or at least supply the parts. I usually do the work.) :)

Good luck,
Tom

Tom thanks for the reply. The dish is mounted on the fascia of the eaves, and thus all cables are in close proximity at that point. If mounting the the multiswitch under the eaves wiould provide enough protection from the elements, then that would be the ideal place to install it.

I am beginning to think that having D* do it is the way to go for a non-handyman like I am. If I can get the receiver (H21) from D* for not much more than $99, then I'll get it there plus the multiswitch and let them install it.

Thanks again for the help.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Tom thanks for the reply. The dish is mounted on the fascia of the eaves, and thus all cables are in close proximity at that point. If mounting the the multiswitch under the eaves wiould provide enough protection from the elements, then that would be the ideal place to install it.

I am beginning to think that having D* do it is the way to go for a non-handyman like I am. If I can get the receiver (H21) from D* for not much more than $99, then I'll get it there plus the multiswitch and let them install it.

Thanks again for the help.

Sounds like a great plan. (Or actually two: how to place it and how to get it done.) :)

Happy Holidays!
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...