Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If anyone who works for D* is here, the 101 ads have to go!!( far too loud!!)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad:
We're not deaf here!!! Well we weren't until these ads come on

turn the volume down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

Agreed. All D* ads are way too LOUD!!! ANNOYING!!!

#3 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

Something must be wrong with there AD machine, set way to loud compare to what ever plays the normal shows.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#4 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad:
We're not deaf here!!! Well we weren't until these ads come on

turn the volume down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1..Terrible, just terrible..

#5 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

I have noticed a lot of channels do the same thing. At one time I was looking for an audio limiter to keep the level the same but gave up. We used to have one on our broadcast transmitter at a radio station I once worked at and was wondering if there is such a thing for the consumer market?? The ones I found are big rack mount clunky things.
1 - HR24-200
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,009 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

I have the same issue with all ads on out FOX station.

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat4680

TomCat4680

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

I find the mute button very useful. your remote should have one too if your tv was made after 1985.
Service / packages: DirecTV Plus HD DVR with HBO, Cinemax, Starz Super Pack, Showtime Unlimited and HD Extra Pack
Receiver: DirecTV HR22 and 5 LNB Dish
TV: Insignia 42 inch 1080p LCD HDTV with built in ATSC digital tuner (Model Number NS-LCD42HD-09)
Antenna: Terk HDTVa indoor amplified directional
DirecTV's 2 year old unfulfilled promise http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=286351
Stuart Sweet is a Nazi

#8 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

I find the mute button very useful. your remote should have one too if your tv was made after 1985.

I find it more useful to not have to use it to combat obnoxiously loud commercials... not the point being made here.

#9 OFFLINE   WERA689

WERA689

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationCanton, GA

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Agreed. I have noticed that pretty much ANY DirecTV commercial, regardless of the network it's aired on, is ridiculously loud and annoying. This leads me to believe that it is the DirecTV insertion system that is the root of the issue. And I agree that it needs to be corrected ASAP.
link to my system specs: http://www.dbstalk.c...775#post3155775

My wonderful cat, Kawie, passed away on 11/23/08. He had a remarkable soul, and I miss him deeply. Thank you, my buddy, for sharing your life with me.

#10 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

I fast forward though all the commercials for a darn good reason!
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#11 OFFLINE   Blackice_WV

Blackice_WV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

I fast forward though all the commercials for a darn good reason!

With all due respect, how do you fast forward when watching live TV? Love my DVR but I haven't figured out how to make it advance into the future. Like a lot of people, I play my audio through my home theater system, which just amplifies the annoyance. The 101 commercials are obscenely loud!!!
Living Room: Sony 50" SXRD (dual HDMI)|HR20 connected via HDMI|Onkyo TXSR603X 6.1 Home Theater Receiver (audio only)|Infinity TSS-750 surround speakers|Playstation 3 connected via HDMI|Monster HTS 3500 Power Center Bedroom: Sylvania 32" 720p (HDMI)|HR20 connected via HDMI|Sony DVPNS75H upconverting DVD player (component) D* Programming: Premier Package|NFL Sunday Ticket w/Superfan|MLB Extra Innings w/Superfan

#12 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

With all due respect, how do you fast forward when watching live TV? Love my DVR but I haven't figured out how to make it advance into the future.

Why would it need to advance to the future as long as you're watching recorded shows?
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Why would it need to advance to the future as long as you're watching recorded shows?

At least for me, watching recorded sporting events isn't as fun. And the ending is often spoiled as well.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

If your surround system has a "midnight mode" or its equivilent, that helps. It boosts low level, and cuts high levels. Its basically a consumer grade compressor. Most surround systems and lots or hdtv's have this.

I HAVE TO AGREE THO, the "upgrade" commercial tripped the circuit breaker on my sub!

#15 OFFLINE   5 ACES

5 ACES

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:30 AM

Agreed!! Tone it down, or get rid of them!!!

#16 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

Something must be wrong with there AD machine, set way to loud compare to what ever plays the normal shows.

Yes, thank you!

I have noticed a lot of channels do the same thing. At one time I was looking for an audio limiter to keep the level the same but gave up. We used to have one on our broadcast transmitter at a radio station I once worked at and was wondering if there is such a thing for the consumer market?? The ones I found are big rack mount clunky things.

I wish the FCC would step in, for once in a positive manner, and regulate advertising sound levels. I'm tired of having to mute my surround sound on sporting event commercials cause I don't want to pop an eardrum :nono2:

I have the same issue with all ads on out FOX station.

Yes, FOX is horrible

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#17 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

For the time being, the mute button is going to be your best bet..

Here's the deal: Television shows and commercials are both broadcast at the same audio power levels... the maximum permitted by the FCC. What happens is actually fairly simple.. when you listen to a television show the audio is a mix of highs and lows that are used for effect and average out pretty well to acceptable levels.

Commercial audio is done with everything on "high". One article I read on this compared it in this way: in a tv show the highest volume levels are like a flashbulb going off, in a commercial it is a spotlight that stays on.

CNET.com referred to it in an article as “perceived loudness.” If you’re watching a drama with soft music and quiet dialogue and the station slams into a commercial for the July 4th Blow Out Sale, it’s going to be jarring. If you happen to go from the program into a commercial for a sleeping pill, one with a subtle soundtrack, it probably won’t bother you.

Supposedly help is on the way in the form of something from Dolby Labs called "Dolby Volume" which will level out the sound differences that take place during shows and between TV programs and commercials. You pick the volume you like and the Dolby software will make the adjustments in real time automatically.

Dolby Volume could show up in some TV sets by the end of this year or early next year.

Of course, it means another new TV.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#18 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Here's the deal: Television shows and commercials are both broadcast at the same audio power levels...

No, that's not the deal. It's the DirecTV ads and only those that we're complaining about. They're too loud. Besides, what's the difference what the audio power level is? What matters is how loud they are, and they're too loud.
Greg

#19 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi All
I use a Audiovox VR1. Works great and only about $25.
RED/WHITE hookup.

SSTV

#20 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

No, that's not the deal. It's the DirecTV ads and only those that we're complaining about. They're too loud. Besides, what's the difference what the audio power level is? What matters is how loud they are, and they're too loud.

DirecTV ads or anyone elses... they are all the same issue.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

spam firewall