Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If anyone who works for D* is here, the 101 ads have to go!!( far too loud!!)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

You must not have Brandsmart in your area? Any Billy Mays commercial? Sham WOW? FreeCreditReport.com? Countless Others... over at Satellite guys they are complaining about the Dish ads.. Don't you have some idiot car dealer dancing in his parking lot to obnoxious music while he slaps the fenders of his deals?

They are complaining about the same thing in the UK...

Yeah, we have some of those commercials. And the DirecTV one is much louder. The only ones I've heard lately that are that much louder than the other commercials are the ones on Spike for their own programming. There is something wrong with the volume level setting, period.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

Yes, it's a lot of ads, not just DirecTV's. If I'm watching recorded I fast forward over them, if live I mute it until the show comes back on. Eventually someone will sue them for hearing loss. Imagine someone who is bed bound that needs the TV up to hear the shows, then gets blasted with ad noise. I think it's only a matter of time.

Magnavox had "smart sound" years ago. I had it on an old non-flat panel TV. It was great. That's probably why new TVs don't have it. The patent may not have expired yet.

Same here, in fact I actually mute and look away from the screen just for spite :lol:

You must not have Brandsmart in your area? Any Billy Mays commercial? Sham WOW? FreeCreditReport.com? Countless Others... over at Satellite guys they are complaining about the Dish ads.. Don't you have some idiot car dealer dancing in his parking lot to obnoxious music while he slaps the fenders of his deals?

They are complaining about the same thing in the UK...

Ughhh, I hate those stupid Billy Mays commercials :mad:
They are horrendous! I get so sick and tired of advertising that hurts my ears. I've gotten to the point where I'm buying products based on their commercials, and boycotting products that have those annoying loud ads.

I notice the loudness increase on Directv ads on Discovery HD channel. There is no excuse for the blatant increase in loudness. My wife yells, "turn it down! every time one come on. Directv should concentrate on making fun to watch HD commercials, so people actually look forward to seeing them. I'm thinking back to the old Volkswagon commercials etc. I also think there are altogether too many commercials now anyway.
Watch Oprah, 3 minutes of chat, and 3 minutes of commercials. Not a good thing. In some European countries the commercials are all at the beginning or ending of a show.
It makes the advertisers really work at making a worth looking at commercial.
That's my rant for the day.

I get yelled at too. I agree on there being too many commercials, we are bombarded as a society with commercials galore. I get so sick of advertising. I used to love watching MLB in the late 80s, early 90s when there was nothing behind home plate but a wall. Now it's everywhere, scrolling banners everywhere you look.

ESPN is one of the worse, they go to commercial for 5 minutes, then come back and bombard you with more advertising............ SPORTSCENTER............ "brought to you by ********", SPORTSCENTER............ "presented by **********"

then we finally get to watch the show :nono2:

It has gotten ridiculous.

Like I said before, I mute all commercials all the time now. I'm sick of them. Only things I watch live are sports and Sportscenter, otherwise everything is taped.

If I get really frustrated and nothing is on, I go directly to the movie channels. Nothing like those 500s :D

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#28 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hi All
I use a Audiovox VR1. Works great and only about $25.
RED/WHITE hookup.

SSTV

How will this help us HDMI users? :rolleyes:

We shouldn't have to buy extra equipment to not be annoyed by commercials, you're missing the point.
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#29 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hi All
Not knocking HDMI but most people cant tell the difference between a properly set up componet and HDMI. For lots of people, HDMI is a more problems then its worth.
Directv is not going to control loud commercials so I guess you can sit back and admire the fine picture your HDMI is providing you while suffering with loud audio. I will go with componet and my Audiovox and enjoy the great HD picture and sound my Directv provides me. To each his own.

SSTV

#30 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

I will go with componet and my Audiovox and enjoy the great HD picture and sound my Directv provides me.

Yeah, and the sound you're getting is 2 channel stereo. That's unacceptable to many people who spent good money on a nice 5.1 or 7.1 system, and want to actually use it.

#31 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hi All
I understand that a nice 5.1 or 7.1 audio system provides very good audio but the only way to get that kind of audio is from a DVD. Televison audio is clipped and compressed to eliminate the sounds of cameras and other equipment moving around studio so it is never in the realm of good audio, almost adequate is more like it. For DVD, 5.1 or 7.1 makes sense but for TV, I dont think so.

SSTV

#32 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:34 AM

For DVD, 5.1 or 7.1 makes sense but for TV, I dont think so.

Respectfully, I think you're totally wrong. The vast majority of my 5.1 usage is with TV, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

#33 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

DirecTV commericals are so loud that they wake up my dogs! The PPV ones are the worst!
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#34 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

I'd say that the loud commercials are most likely seen as working in DirecTV eyes. Not only are folks taking note, they are even remembering what products they were pushing. Advertisers are fine with annoying commercials, because they get into peoples heads. Someone at DirecTV is looking that this thread with $/$ in their eyes.

#35 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:01 AM

I also notice the average perceived volume of some (most?) commercials seems a little louder than program material and I fully understand why this is.

However, let me totally clear. The volume on DirecTV commercials is much louder than even the perceived increase of loud commercials.

Since most receivers have a decible reading listed on them it is easy to tell. In my system, for a normal "loud" commercial turning the volume down 3-5 dB makes it seem to be about the same. That range is easily explained by the compression being cranked on the commercial and all of the audio being on the loud end of things. However, the DirecTV commercials need to be turned down in excess of 10dB to seem the same. There is no way this is simple juicing of hte audio dynamic range.

We use HDMI connection for audio and video, but I noticed the same thing when I used to use Component/toslink.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#36 OFFLINE   stewp97

stewp97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

However, let me totally clear. The volume on DirecTV commercials is much louder than even the perceived increase of loud commercials.

I agree. I can usually sleep on the couch through any commercial, but the DirecTV commercials always wake me up!

peter

#37 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

Not only are the commercials LOUD but they are also very, very annoying!

I also find that the History HD channel volume is lower than most and when I increase it so I can hear it and then one of those 101 commercials come on.....:mad:
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#38 OFFLINE   Packersrule

Packersrule

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

DirecTV ads or anyone elses... they are all the same issue.

No - it not all the ads. DirecTV ads are much louder they hurt my ears. I don't see how you can't hear that. I am embarrassed to support a company that does this.

You can tell that no one is in control at DirecTV or this type of stuff would be stopped. They need to focus on the customer experience. Marketing department need to be controlled or they can wreak a company.

#39 OFFLINE   Packersrule

Packersrule

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

I think we should start a write-in campaign. This has to be stopped. Who is the best person to email on this issue?

#40 OFFLINE   paulzzz

paulzzz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it's a lot of ads, not just DirecTV's. If I'm watching recorded I fast forward over them, if live I mute it until the show comes back on. Eventually someone will sue them for hearing loss. Imagine someone who is bed bound that needs the TV up to hear the shows, then gets blasted with ad noise. I think it's only a matter of time.

Magnavox had "smart sound" years ago. I had it on an old non-flat panel TV. It was great. That's probably why new TVs don't have it. The patent may not have expired yet.

Actually, most new Sony's have the feature. I have two Sony LCD's and both have "Sound Leveler" features to smooth out this annoyance. Actually one of the reasons I paid extra for Sony. Hope this helps and hopefully more manufacturers will get the message.

#41 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

The loud D* commercials are ALMOST making me call and cancel my subscription... it is that bad and that annoying. Sometimes I am in the kitchen and then the entire house rattles when the commercials are on... I am worried that the increase in sound could damage my speakers....this COULD lead someone to go POSTAL at the nearest D* office.:mad:

#42 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

At least for me, watching recorded sporting events isn't as fun. And the ending is often spoiled as well.

Then "you're doing it wrong."

I record all sorts of sporting events (hockey, football, baseball, racing) and don't have a problem with the spoiled ending. In fact, I actually enjoy most of those events MORE because I can skip the boring parts (like hockey intermissions, football halftimes, mid-inning breaks in baseball, yellow flags in racing, etc.)

Of course, everyone I regularly communicate with knows this and honors my requests to keep conversations spoiler-free.

#43 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

The loud D* commercials are ALMOST making me call and cancel my subscription... it is that bad and that annoying. Sometimes I am in the kitchen and then the entire house rattles when the commercials are on... I am worried that the increase in sound could damage my speakers....this COULD lead someone to go POSTAL at the nearest D* office.:mad:

Have you "dropped them a line" via their web site letting them know of your displeasure at the sound levels?

May fall on 'deaf ears' (sorry for that one! ;)), but if enough people do that, they may start to 'hear' that message. (Oops did it again).

Might have slightly more impact than a post here will, though that should in no way keep you from posting here! :)

#44 OFFLINE   Sugarlander

Sugarlander

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

I really like D in spite of a few bugs with my HR21, however there is no excuse for not fixing this very annoying problem. If my dog is sleeping in the same room, the increase in volume will actually wake her up and she is a very sound sleeper.

#45 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Agreed. All D* ads are way too LOUD!!! ANNOYING!!!

And can they please get some commercials other than Video Professor,Progressive,and Magic Jack
Directv since 1994

Protected By... spam firewall...And...