Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Modulating with SWM and D12-300?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimstolz76

jimstolz76

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Hello all!

Forgive me if this has been asked - I searched around a bit and didn't find anything.

Just for the heck of it, I'm trying to modulate a signal on channel 3 onto the same RG-6 as my MBR D12-300. I've got a single LNB dish, 4 port multiswitch, and am using JVI 35SDX100 diplexers. (power passing on one leg, 40-2150 Mhz)

I can get the modulated signal to work fine, but it seems to block the satellite signal to the D12. Any idea what would cause this?

If I can't get it to work it's no big deal, but I'd like to understand what it is that isn't working. Attached is a little schematic of what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• xbox modulation diagram v2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

You are trying to modulate the Xbox?

Could be the diplexers are leaking onto the satellite line.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

Perhaps the diplexers won't pass the 2.3 MHz control signal which is sent from the receiver to the SWM.

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Please clarify. Things just don't add up.

Are you sure that you have a swm setup?
A swm setup won't have a multiswitch, unless it's an external one.
A single (dual) lnb isn't a swm system.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   jimstolz76

jimstolz76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm modulating the Xbox. Like I said, just for the hell of it. :)

I have a single LNB dish with one rg-6 going to a 4 port multiswitch outside. Inside I have an HR21 with a single rg-6 that feeds both tuners. I have a power injector on the line with the HR21. One more rg-6 goes to the D12-300.

The 2.3 Mhz control signal would make sense to me. I'll have to look around for some different diplexers.

FYI - I've worked in the LV world for the past 13 years (cable tech, security, MDU, now home theater/structured wiring/card access/cctv/distributed audio/video/control systems/programming/etc...), but haven't stayed up to date with sat technology as well as I should. I've left it up to the Directv people, but I'd really like to regain a working knowledge of these things. Forgive me if I leave out crucial info or don't understand an acronym... :)

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

The 2.3 Mhz control signal would make sense to me. I'll have to look around for some different diplexers.

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that all diplexers are going to whack everything below 950MHz.

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that all diplexers are going to whack everything below 950MHz.

Good ones leave a certain part of the lower spectrum untouched and do work with the SWM.

I use Holland DPD2 Diplexers with my SWM setup and they work fine.

http://www.techtools...PROD&ProdID=785
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

Consider yourself fortunate. The DPD2 is not a bandpass device.

http://www.hollandel...s-Diplexers.pdf

#9 OFFLINE   jimstolz76

jimstolz76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

Good ones leave a certain part of the lower spectrum untouched and do work with the SWM.

I use Holland DPD2 Diplexers with my SWM setup and they work fine.

It looks like that specs out the same as the ones I'm using. I guess for $1.99 I can give them a shot, though. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

Consider yourself fortunate. The DPD2 is not a bandpass device.

http://www.hollandel...s-Diplexers.pdf

BUT, if you look on the specs it only rejects 40-806 on the satellite side. So 2.3mhz should be unaffected as there is a large buffer zone between 2.3 and 40 even if the diplexer "leaks" a bit of interference and is not perfectly within spec.

If you notice the STVC for example rejects 5-806 on the satellite band so with just a little "leakage" it could easily disrupt the 2.3mhz band and most likely does.

I did a lot of research before purchasing and that seemed to be the main thing in common between ones that worked (rejected ~40-806) and ones that didnt (rejected ~5-806) with the SWM modules. Still it is no guarantee. The best guarantee seems to be to use the Channel Master set (1x http://www.solidsign...?prod=CM4002IFD and 1x http://www.solidsign...?PROD=CM4001IFD) but it is quite a bit more expensive.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#11 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

The best guarantee seems to be to use the Channel Master set (1x http://www.solidsign...?prod=CM4002IFD and 1x http://www.solidsign...?PROD=CM4001IFD) but it is quite a bit more expensive.

I use these diplexers with no problem as do many others. I'm getting OTA signals into a D12-300 this way.

Keep in mind that DirecTV's point of view is that diplexers are not supported with SWM setups.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

spam firewall