Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Forum Upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
328 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sundude90

sundude90

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

Look good! Good Job Chris!

I am sorry, but I think it is way to bright. It hurts my eyes. Is this something that can be changed?

jc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Look good! Good Job Chris!

I am sorry, but I think it is way to bright. It hurts my eyes. Is this something that can be changed?

jc

As mentioned, new styles will come at a later date. The priority was to get the upgrade done as the old styles were not compatible with the new software version.

Thanks

#43 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

The biggest thing I am having an issue with is the link colors.

The orange and blue/bold and non-bold get confusing looking in the forums to tell new from old since the orange is the clicked/unclicked which should be less important but is mostly all you see. It would be much better if the more standard web design idea was used of clicked/unclicked colors being much closer together (like different shades of blue or something).

Sorry if this is confusing, I hope you understand what I mean. The rest of the forum layout is pretty good besides the links IMO.

EDIT: Here is an example, it just looks confusing while browsing around the forum:
Posted Image
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#44 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Nice job!
I like it:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#45 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Looks great, Chris!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#46 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

Not sure this is what you mean, but on the right side of the Forum name you will see a +. If you click that then that forum section will close down. Click again to open it back up.

I did click the + to close the topics but wish to 'em go away.

When I click on the forums tab at the top there are 3 Dish Network headers, I want to get rid of them by hiding or move them to the bottom of the stack since I am a DirecTV guy and have no interest in Dish Network stuff.

1 - HR34-700
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#47 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hi...The only ad you will see is the top 728x90 ad. If you log out, you will see their are others that non-club member see. Hope you really do no mind much as it does not take any site space that would just be not used anyway. (unlike the other ads that are blocked because you are a club member.)

Thanks

Well, "I hope" this will be improved, so I'm not seeing it as a club member.
I really don't like seeing ads, as they do grab my attention and as a club member, they shouldn't.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   fredandbetty

fredandbetty

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Nice job Chris ( and everyone else that contributed) I like it! Can't wait till there are skins available! ;)
5-LNB Dish, AT9 Dish, Zinwell multiswitch
2- HR20-700 ( Ver. 0x038E) HDMI connection, Native - On, Animations -OFF :) , R15-100 and R15-300
Mitsubishi 52"

AT&T U-verse Internet

#49 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

When I click on the forums tab at the top there are 3 Dish Network headers, I want to get rid of them by hiding or move them to the bottom of the stack since I am a DirecTV guy and have no interest in Dish Network stuff.

Chris already mentioned he is going to work on finding it again and bringing it back. vBulletin uses third party mods to add many features like that and they need to find new ones that are compatible with the new version ;)

Chris, David: There used to be an option to "hide" forums from view (Display, new posts, etc.). Is that coming back? I can be patient... :)

Yes, hopefully that will come back. Give us some time. I have to look for a version that will work with this software.

-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#50 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Just noticed that the +'s and -'s to the right of the forum titles for expanding/collapsing them are backwards.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#51 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

I am sorry, but this is currently how it it works. I do not see a change coming for this one any time soon as it does not seem to be a mod that is currently out their for this version. We will keep looking.

#52 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

The biggest thing I am having an issue with is the link colors.

The orange and blue/bold and non-bold get confusing looking in the forums to tell new from old since the orange is the clicked/unclicked which should be less important but is mostly all you see. It would be much better if the more standard web design idea was used of clicked/unclicked colors being much closer together (like different shades of blue or something).

Sorry if this is confusing, I hope you understand what I mean. The rest of the forum layout is pretty good besides the links IMO.

EDIT: Here is an example, it just looks confusing while browsing around the forum:
Posted Image

Hi...This is done to CLEARLY have the threads with new content stand out. If they were just dimmed out with the same color, some monitors can have issues with it as they can not show the shade difference very well.

Thanks

#53 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

So far no issues and it looks great, thanks guys for updating!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#54 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Wow.. this is FANCY!

Good work gentlemen!
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#55 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

This site now looks almost exactly the same as the AVS forum, BUT I'm not a member there. :(
If I wasn't a member here, "it sounds like" this site would look the same [similar] as Satguys now, which [IMO] can't be a "good thing". :(

Yes, I know I'm "old school" and change takes some effort to get used to, but I did pay not to have ads [any] on this site. [almost :mad:]
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

David and Chris: Well done! When I tried logging on earlier today, I got a few error messages -- which I emailed to Chris, so don't know whether you got it or not. At any rate, it's fixed, and looks good so far! :biggthump

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#57 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

Quicklinks > New posts(DirecTV Forums)

GONE! Where is it? I have no desire to view every new post across every forum, 90% of which I have absolutely no interest in.

IF it ain't broke.........don't fix it..........

Fixed

#58 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi...This is done to CLEARLY have the threads with new content stand out. If they were just dimmed out with the same color, some monitors can have issues with it as they can not show the shade difference very well.

Thanks

I dont want to sound harsh, but it's not, the orange is not for threads with new content. It is for threads/links you have already clicked on (visited links)! That is why I am saying it makes it extremely confusing to look at. It works for any links on the site, even the forum links and profile name links.

Bold is for threads with new content as it almost always is on vBulletin boards.

An example of this, I clicked on my name and did not click on Chris's name. So mine is orange and his is blue in my browser:
Posted Image

If I click on his name, then go back. It is orange.

Edited by Grentz, 28 December 2008 - 01:14 PM.

-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#59 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

I am sorry, but this is currently how it it works. I do not see a change coming for this one any time soon as it does not seem to be a mod that is currently out their for this version. We will keep looking.

OK, I saw in a previous post there might be a way, it just has not been found yet. Will just have to live with it, no biggie.

1 - HR34-700

#60 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Just noticed that the +'s and -'s to the right of the forum titles for expanding/collapsing them are backwards.

Are they?? The - is the topic is collapsed and the + is it is expanded, but what do I know.

1 - HR34-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...