Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

I just purchased a new Vizio HDTV and have a question about how it works. I have called D*TV to try and get a discounted HD DVR but so far they haven't come down far enough.

Anyways, I have hooked up the amplified indoor antenna and have loved the quality of the HD pic I receive from it. My question is sometimes when I watch local programming it says it is in HD, but the screen is not full up. It has bars. Other times, like when I watch Dateline on Friday night, it is full up with no bars. Today, while watching the Colts game it says 1080i Hd and it is full screen, then I switch to Fat Albert 720 HD and it has side bars. Then I turn to Hypersonic on local CW and it says 480i SD, but it is full screen w/o bars. I'm confused.

I thought HD would always be full screen?

Thank you in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

That's how broadcasters send it. If the program is in HD(1080i or 720p), you won't have any bars. If it's not, you will. As for D**, keep playing CSR roulette, you should be able to land a deal!

Good Luck!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#3 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

That's how broadcasters send it. If the program is in HD(1080i or 720p), you won't have any bars. If it's not, you will. As for D**, keep playing CSR roulette, you should be able to land a deal!

Good Luck!

But Fat Albert is being sent 720p HD and i have side bars?

#4 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

That means the broadcaster is sending a 720p signal(ABC, ESPN, FOX, etc...), but the program is not in HD. This is normal for local stations. Evidently, it costs them more to broadcast local programming in HD. That's why a lot of local stations haven't gone to HD local news. But the good news is more and more content is HD. I've had HD for a year and 2 months, and there's more now than then. We still have to deal with the 'bars' though.
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP

#5 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

But Fat Albert is being sent 720p HD and i have side bars?

If the original programming is 4:3, the station adds the pillar bars to fill out the 16:9 frame it is broadcasting. I don't think any locals broadcast 16:9 programming exclusively. On the satellite HD channels, some will stretch 4:3 programming, which fills the screen but distorts the picture.

#6 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

That means the broadcaster is sending a 720p signal(ABC, ESPN, FOX, etc...), but the program is not in HD. This is normal for local stations. Evidently, it costs them more to broadcast local programming in HD. That's why a lot of local stations haven't gone to HD local news. But the good news is more and more content is HD. I've had HD for a year and 2 months, and there's more now than then. We still have to deal with the 'bars' though.

Okay, thanks and the Feb. 17, 2009 thing will not require local stations to broadcast in HD?

#7 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

no, just a digital signal.

#8 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the advice to keep trying with D** to get a HD-DVR. Finally landed a deal I could live with.

I have another question. Once I get the HD-DVR do I need to buy the HDMI cable, or will the installer bring it with him? If not, can I still receive the HD stuff without the cable?

Thanks again.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

The installer should provide needed cables. You can use hdmi or component video from the DVR to the TV (depending of course on what inputs your TV has). If the installer wants to charge you for the cable, call DirecTV while he is still there and discuss it with them.

#10 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

The past few HR2x (HD-DVRs) that I've gotten had the HDMI cable included in the box it came with. :)
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#11 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

Cables are included if you get the receiver from a retailer, but the ones the installers bring don' t have the cables and the installer is supposed to supply what you need. This wasn't always the case.

#12 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Cables are included if you get the receiver from a retailer, but the ones the installers bring don' t have the cables and the installer is supposed to supply what you need. This wasn't always the case.

Do you think he will charge me for them? Just wondering, b/c I'm sure I can get cheaper than what he'll charge.

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

There should be no charge unless it's some unusal length (over 6ft).

#14 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

Rather than start a new thread I have another general HDTV question that I hope someone can help with.

I have my screen set on 16:9 Wide for D*TV and it looks great, but last night I played a widescreenn DVD, The Traitor, and the characters looked short and squatty. Why does D*TV look good in wide and a widescreen DVD doesn't?

Any suggestions for settings? I don't have a blu-ray player.

Thanks

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Rather than start a new thread I have another general HDTV question that I hope someone can help with.

I have my screen set on 16:9 Wide for D*TV and it looks great, but last night I played a widescreenn DVD, The Traitor, and the characters looked short and squatty. Why does D*TV look good in wide and a widescreen DVD doesn't?

Any suggestions for settings? I don't have a blu-ray player.

Thanks

Like anyone new to an HD, widescreen TV, you're going to have to adjust to the fact that some content is still SD, and some is still 4:3 (non-widescreen). And, yes, there IS HD content that is 4:3, and there IS SD content that is 16:9. And, even worse, the networks are still AWFUL about how they handle the two size formats. It is common for a station to show two shot-in-widescreen commercials, one actually transmitted in widescreen, and the next with black frames on all 4 sides. The latter is because someone somewhere in the process manually added bars to the top and bottom, to turn the widescreen ad into 4:3, and then sent the resulting 4:3 ad on an HD, widescreen channel.

Your source components also play a part, as you've seen. A DVD player that only has composite (yellow RCA) or S-Video outputs is usually stuck in 4:3 mode, whereas if you have one that has component (red/green/blue RCAs for video) or HDMI, it can output in widescreen.

The same is true with your sat receiver: if you have an HD receiver, the receiver will handle MOST of the format changing stuff for you, but with an SD receiver, you'll have to ride the FORMAT/ASPECT/ZOOM button on your TV's remote to switch it into the right format for what you're watching.

Most of us will agree that the worst thing you can do is STREEEEETCH an image just to fill your screen. That makes people look short and fat, and is awful. Instead, you want to use the "pillar bar" setting which adds bars on the left and right for 4:3 content, and keeps everything in the proper aspect ratio. With HD components, this setting will automatically switch to widescreen whenever widescreen content is available.

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Oh, BTW, if you are even *thinking* about replacing your DVD player, DON'T. Get a Blu-Ray player instead. It will have HD/widescreen outputs, will upscale all of your DVDs, and plays Blu-Ray discs (essentially hi-def DVDs) that are the very best quality video you can get. And players have recently come down to the $150 level on sale. As of this past Christmas season, DVD players are officially obsolete.

#17 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm not sure if this was stated - I didn't read through the whole post - but sometimes within your DVD Players Setup Menu you can change what output it is. It is possible it's fighting with the TV on how to display. Usually, you have to either stop the disk or take it out and then are able to access the Player Setup Menu and set it to 16:9 output. That has been the case for many of the DVD Players I've come across. Also, I agree, Blu-Ray should be your next purchase. The prices are coming down and they work best for future DVDs. Now that the war is over, it's safe to start buying. :) Hope it helps!
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#18 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Like anyone new to an HD, widescreen TV, you're going to have to adjust to the fact that some content is still SD, and some is still 4:3 (non-widescreen). And, yes, there IS HD content that is 4:3, and there IS SD content that is 16:9. And, even worse, the networks are still AWFUL about how they handle the two size formats. It is common for a station to show two shot-in-widescreen commercials, one actually transmitted in widescreen, and the next with black frames on all 4 sides. The latter is because someone somewhere in the process manually added bars to the top and bottom, to turn the widescreen ad into 4:3, and then sent the resulting 4:3 ad on an HD, widescreen channel.

Your source components also play a part, as you've seen. A DVD player that only has composite (yellow RCA) or S-Video outputs is usually stuck in 4:3 mode, whereas if you have one that has component (red/green/blue RCAs for video) or HDMI, it can output in widescreen.

The same is true with your sat receiver: if you have an HD receiver, the receiver will handle MOST of the format changing stuff for you, but with an SD receiver, you'll have to ride the FORMAT/ASPECT/ZOOM button on your TV's remote to switch it into the right format for what you're watching.

Most of us will agree that the worst thing you can do is STREEEEETCH an image just to fill your screen. That makes people look short and fat, and is awful. Instead, you want to use the "pillar bar" setting which adds bars on the left and right for 4:3 content, and keeps everything in the proper aspect ratio. With HD components, this setting will automatically switch to widescreen whenever widescreen content is available.

Okay, so set my HD DVR receiver to native off and my HDTV to pillar box, not wide? Thanks

#19 OFFLINE   oscar madison

oscar madison

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure if this was stated - I didn't read through the whole post - but sometimes within your DVD Players Setup Menu you can change what output it is. It is possible it's fighting with the TV on how to display. Usually, you have to either stop the disk or take it out and then are able to access the Player Setup Menu and set it to 16:9 output. That has been the case for many of the DVD Players I've come across. Also, I agree, Blu-Ray should be your next purchase. The prices are coming down and they work best for future DVDs. Now that the war is over, it's safe to start buying. :) Hope it helps!

Wow, thanks, my DVD player was set to 4:3, now I changed to 16:9 wide. Sweet!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...