Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

family package new channels????????????

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   churdie

churdie

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

i know this is dumb posting but wondering if any new channels to be added to family? on a budget and only package we can swing now, hoping mlb network would be added, i am gettin nfl network sd version with my family package.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

i know this is dumb posting but wondering if any new channels to be added to family? on a budget and only package we can swing now, hoping mlb network would be added, i am gettin nfl network sd version with my family package.

Anything to be changed concerning package channels would happen right before the the March 2009 increase.;)

#3 OFFLINE   clayface1000

clayface1000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

I highly recommend the Preferred Choice package as an alternative to the Family Pack. I was in the same boat as you and found that for only $3.00 more per month, I received a LOT more programming ($32.99/month).

It's only available for International customers, so all you have to do is add the cheapest international channel they offer, which is a Filipino radio station for $5.00/month. The actual cost is $8.00/month more than Family ($3.00 + $5.00), but you receive much of the normal "core" programming, including CNN, ESPN1 & 2, etc.

This is a lot cheaper than jumping up to Choice at $52.99.

#4 OFFLINE   churdie

churdie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

will i need a new dish?? i have hd and the bigger slimline dish

#5 OFFLINE   churdie

churdie

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:50 AM

wont work for me no noggin and my toddler loves it

#6 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

I highly recommend the Preferred Choice package as an alternative to the Family Pack. I was in the same boat as you and found that for only $3.00 more per month, I received a LOT more programming ($32.99/month).

It's only available for International customers, so all you have to do is add the cheapest international channel they offer, which is a Filipino radio station for $5.00/month. The actual cost is $8.00/month more than Family ($3.00 + $5.00), but you receive much of the normal "core" programming, including CNN, ESPN1 & 2, etc.

This is a lot cheaper than jumping up to Choice at $52.99.

Thanks!!! Downgraded from grandfathered "Total Choice Extra @$54.99" to the above package. Kept HD Access as well as HD Extra Pak and my DVR service.

I lost 53 channels that I NEVER watched, 11 that I almost never watched, and about 5 that I watched a fair amount. Given that I can't find time to watch everything I record anyway, the loss of these five channels isn't going to hurt me. Will miss FOX news, but can handle watching CNN, HN, PBS, and local news.

SAVED $17 PER MONTH!

#7 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

which "above package" did you switch to? preferred choice or family? based on the math, it appears preferred choice. did they require the dish change to the international version? did you request via email or a call to the retention dept? i'm in the same boat, i just want to lessen my pkg, but not the family pkg if i can help it?

Edited by rb5505, 04 January 2009 - 05:12 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thanks!!! Downgraded from grandfathered "Total Choice Extra @$54.99" to the above package. Kept HD Access as well as HD Extra Pak and my DVR service.

I lost 53 channels that I NEVER watched, 11 that I almost never watched, and about 5 that I watched a fair amount. Given that I can't find time to watch everything I record anyway, the loss of these five channels isn't going to hurt me. Will miss FOX news, but can handle watching CNN, HN, PBS, and local news.

SAVED $17 PER MONTH!

Can you add this package online? I don't see that package. I called and they want to install another dish. Will they be willing to give you the package without installing the dish?

Edited by quadmandan97, 04 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   clayface1000

clayface1000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

You have to make the change to Preferred Choice by phone; it is not possible to do it online.

Strictly speaking, the international channel I was forced to add (the Filipino radio station for $5.00 I mentioned), requires a dish upgrade. However, my CSR indicated that he could make the programming change without it. As I didn't care to actually receive this station, I opted to pass on the hassle. It took all of a few minutes to make the switch...

#10 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

I guess I'll have to call back. They said that I had to add a 14.99 channel to qualify.

#11 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I currently have a 4 month free Premiere package and was going to go back to Choice when it ended next month, but this sounds like a better deal. Can you provide some more information? Will I still get my locals? Do I need to get a new dish, or can I pass on it like you mentioned above? Thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   clayface1000

clayface1000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

quadmandan97, you may have to play CSR roulette. As I mentioned, I had no problems at all. Also, I've read elsewhere that although you must add at least one international channel to be eligible for Preferred Choice, you can actually drop this programming anytime you want and still keep the programming package. I haven't tried this yet, as I figure it's only $5.00/month.

NickFluth, yes, you'll still get your locals. Just go to Directv's website and you'll see the channels you'll receive under programming packages.

#13 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

To get my programming changed I called a CSR and told him that I was looking for ways to reduce my bill and that I was interested in the Int'l Preferred Choice. He told me I needed Int'l programming and I told him I would sign up for Myx (the filipino music channel) for $4.99 per month. He said I needed another dish but if I didn't care about actually receiving the Filipino programming that I could opt not to have the new dish installed. I still get my Broadcast Net locals (ABC, NBC, CW, etc) however I do not get the two sports channels I used to get (SportSouth and FSNSouth), however these were two channels I never watched.

After a couple of days with the new package, I'm very happy. I realize that having FOX news, MSNBC, and CNN is a bit redundant if all I want is simple reporting. I'll miss AMC when MadMen returns but that's not until July probably, it may not even be on that channel when it returns, and the economy may be different by then.

#14 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

deleted

#15 OFFLINE   quadmandan97

quadmandan97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

I've talked to 2 separate CSR's and they both said I needed the more expensive international channel. They said the the 4.99 one does not count. I really wish I could get this package. It's not worth it if I'm only saving 10 a month. Did you guys get transferred to the International department?

#16 OFFLINE   clayface1000

clayface1000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

No, just a garden variety CSR should be able to handle the change for you. I'd keep trying until I got one that will help you. From what I understand, the key thing is that Directv's computer system be able to accept your specific request. For example, it will not accept a programming change to Preferred Choice by itself. But it definitely WILL if you add ANY international programming.

The CSRs are not there to cause us trouble, so I would simply ask them to humor me and try to input the request as described. You might find yourself hearing them say, "Gee, I didn't think it would go through but it did!" I promise you the package combo (Preferred Choice + Filipino radio station) I described is valid.

#17 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

I've talked to 2 separate CSR's and they both said I needed the more expensive international channel. They said the the 4.99 one does not count. I really wish I could get this package. It's not worth it if I'm only saving 10 a month. Did you guys get transferred to the International department?

i just got of the phone with csr katherine. call 800-378-3309, that's the direct line to the international group. i got the preferred choice package with the filipino channel @4.99/mo. i also opted out on the international dish change since i don't want the filipino channel, just the preferred choice pkg for $32.99/mo. she then offered me a 6 mos hd credit (6 x $9.95) to offset the filipino channel. after 12+ years with directv, i long ago discovered, it really is csr roulette to get a csr who knows what to do and offers what really is available to you. if it doesn't work the first call, just say thanks and call back again....and again. it worked for me on call #2. using the international number should help in this case...it did for me. my thanks to this forum for making us all aware of just what is available!

#18 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

That package would sound appealing except for the fact that it sound like you don't get the RSNs. I supposed I'd still save if I got this package and the sports pack?
HR22-100

#19 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

Here is a PDF of the channel lineup. I assume this is updated. I'd miss MSNBC and Fox News Channel.

http://www.directv.c...ctLineup3_n.pdf
HR22-100

#20 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

Here is a PDF of the channel lineup. I assume this is updated. I'd miss MSNBC and Fox News Channel.

http://www.directv.c...ctLineup3_n.pdf

I felt the same way but realized that I was choosing Fox News because of my political slant. In reality, when it comes to simply reporting "news", it doesn't make that much difference if you are watching CNN.

The PDF is accurate; in fact, there were a couple of channels not listed that I found were still active. I think GMC338, Ion305, and Hunt608.

spam firewall