Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

family package new channels????????????

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

wait wait wait so all i have to do is call and say i want to switch to the Preferred Choice package? And why has nobody ever spoke of this before??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

I called directv last night and told them I wanted to add the Myx music channel. The CSR told me I would need to add a dish and I told him I wasn't really interested in receiving the channel, but I needed to add it because I wanted to switch to the International Preferred Choice package. He said he didn't think it would work that why but would try it anyway. A few minutes later I was all hooked up.

I am now paying $70 for:

International Preferred Choice Package
3 Receivers
DVR Service
Protection Plan
HD Access
and the $5 international music channel

Not too bad considering I was playing over $100 for these services and I don't think I will miss the channels I had to give up.

One can also just tell them "I installed the dish on my own...a friend who disconnected gave me his old one"

#28 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

wait wait wait so all i have to do is call and say i want to switch to the Preferred Choice package? And why has nobody ever spoke of this before??

Is the Preferred Choice a new package? (Less than a year old?) Definitely a better package than the Family (yuck) package. Apparently a Family Package for families, should be out of the loop in news, without having a CNN, MSNBC or FOX news.

#29 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Superstar

• Registered
  • 535 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

I added CricketPlus a la carte and some CSR's won't let me get Perferred Choice with it.

#30 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

I added CricketPlus a la carte and some CSR's won't let me get Perferred Choice with it.

On DirecTV's website, if you click International and then choose 'South Asian', Cricket Plus doesn't show like how the other list of packs show.

#31 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

Comparing Preferred Choice($32.99) vs. The Choice ($52.99), these are the channels (non audio-only, religious or shopping) in common:
A&E
ABC Family
BBC America
Bloomberg TV
Cartoon Network
CNBC
CNBC World
CNN
Comedy Central
C-SPAN
C-SPAN 2
Discovery Channel
E! Entertainment Television
ESPN
ESPN 2
Fit TV
Food Network
Headline News
Home & Garden Television
HITN
Lifetime
Link TV
MTV
NASA TV
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite East
Sci-fi Channel
Spike TV
TBS Superstation
The Disney Channel
The History Channel
The Learning Channel
The Weather Channel
TNT
Travel Channel
Trinity Broadcasting Network
truTV
TV Land
USA Network
VH1

With Preferred Choice, you'll also get
Fox Movie Channel and National Geographic Channel, that you won't get with The Choice.

With The Choice, you'll get some more channels like
American Movie Classics
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Black Entertainment Television
Bravo
BYU TV
Country Music Television
Current TV
Daystar
Discovery Health
Discovery Kids
ESPNews
EWTN
Fine Living
FOX News Channel
Fuse
FX
Galavision
GMC
GSN
Home Shopping Network
Independent Film Channel
ION Television
Lifetime Movie Network
MLB Network
MSNBC
MTV2
NFL Network
Noggin
ReelzChannel
RFD TV
ShopNBC
SoapNet
SportSouth
TCT Network
The 101 Network
The N
Toon Disney
Turner Classic Movies
TV Guide Channel
TV One
Univision
WE
*I bolded some of the more notable channels, though in my copy & paste effort, I copied some religious channels that are avail on both.
---

Unfortunately some of the channels above aren't so great anymore - like AMC which runs commercials, though has original programming like 'Mad Men'

Even if MYX wasn't available, and one had to take a $14.99/ int. channel to get Preferred Choice, it'd still be $5 cheaper for Preferred Choice with $14.99 over The Choice ($52.99). Both The Choice and Preferred Choice have promotional rates for the first year as well.

#32 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:23 AM

Maybe I missed it but is there a list of the channels you will loose if you switch?

#33 OFFLINE   Humnahey

Humnahey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

Maybe I missed it but is there a list of the channels you will loose if you switch?

Whatever channels are NOT on the list for international preferred choice are the channels that you will "lose."

Channels you will lose depends on the package that you have now.

#34 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:42 AM

Whatever channels are NOT on the list for international preferred choice are the channels that you will "lose."

Channels you will lose depends on the package that you have now.

well obviously lol i just thought maybe there was a side by side comparison chart somewhere or is someone knew right off.

I have the dvr plus now, whatever package that is

#35 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

well obviously lol i just thought maybe there was a side by side comparison chart somewhere or is someone knew right off.

I have the dvr plus now, whatever package that is

did you get your info needed ???? for what you would not have any longer
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#36 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Another note - it seems that since I switched to the Int'l Preferred Choice/Myx package, I am not eligible to receive the Australian Open Mix package, which i would have thought would have been available since I do receive the "National broadcast channel," which in this case is ESPN2. Oh well, considering I can tape around 10 hours a day of Aust.Open coverage from ESPN2HD, I'm not missing too much.

Still satisfied with the package and the price.

#37 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

rnbmusicfan thanks for the comparison info! Currently I am on TC+ which is in between Choice and Choice Xtra as far as cost but I get the same channels as Xtra. I would loose a lot of channels going to this Intl. Choice, but save a lot too.

I would love to save some money, but there are some key channels I would loose that we watch a lot.

Animal Planet
IFC
Fuse
Bravo
FX

Its amazing how it always seems like of the few channels we watch a lot (we really only watch a few) they always get stuck in the expensive packages :P

One question, anyone try adding the HD Extra pack to this?
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#38 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

rnbmusicfan thanks for the comparison info! Currently I am on TC+ which is in between Choice and Choice Xtra as far as cost but I get the same channels as Xtra. I would loose a lot of channels going to this Intl. Choice, but save a lot too.

I would love to save some money, but there are some key channels I would loose that we watch a lot.

Animal Planet
IFC
Fuse
Bravo
FX

Its amazing how it always seems like of the few channels we watch a lot (we really only watch a few) they always get stuck in the expensive packages :P

One question, anyone try adding the HD Extra pack to this?

Out-of-date Grandfathered packages are great for those who have them. I would stick with what you have.

#39 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:18 AM

Another note - it seems that since I switched to the Int'l Preferred Choice/Myx package, I am not eligible to receive the Australian Open Mix package, which i would have thought would have been available since I do receive the "National broadcast channel," which in this case is ESPN2. Oh well, considering I can tape around 10 hours a day of Aust.Open coverage from ESPN2HD, I'm not missing too much.

Still satisfied with the package and the price.

RBR and redo Sat setup fixed the issue - getting Aussie Mix now.

#40 OFFLINE   josejrp

josejrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

I called the International Group number given earlier in the forum, and was able to switch to the Preferred Choice thanks to a very nice rep called Kelly. I asked for the package+MYX, and she asked me if I was ever going to watch any international programming. I replied I was really only interested in the Preferred Choice package and not the international programming, and she did not schedule a new dish install. After a few minutes I was switched over, although one side effect of the change is that I cannot look at my packages or change/add packages or premium channels online - I get a message saying because I have international programming, I have to call customer support to do any changes. All in all, looking forward to the savings!

#41 OFFLINE   josejrp

josejrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

So, has anybody been successful in removing the MYX channel but keeping Preferred Choice?:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...