Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just how "free" is a free standard installation?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I've currently got an oval, 3LNB dish feeding two receivers (a D11 and a legacy RCA) with two lines of coax coming into the house off the dish.

I'm scheduled for a tech visit since I'm upgrading to HD. It's my understanding I'll need a 5LNB dish, and as for receivers, I'm ditching the RCA, keeping the D11 and adding on an HD DVR.

Now, according to CSR after CSR, it should just be a simple matter of swapping out the dishes, running some wires and hooking up the receivers, and all of this should be covered under my "free" standard installation.

After a little poking around it seems I might be in store for some surprise charges from the tech. There won't be any need for a new pole. The tech can mount the new dish on the existing pole. I imagine additional wiring will be required coming into the house, plus given the age of the existing wiring, I'm going to request that all new wiring be run throughout anyway. The existing wiring comes through my foundation. There's already a hole drilled and conduit installed for the wiring to be fed through. There's also already a trench dug which the existing wirings runs through on it's way from the dish to the conduit in the foundation.

So my question is this:

Based on my existing setup, and the upgrades I'm getting, do you think the tech is going to throw any kind of charges at me? I can see him saying that it'll cost me to have all new wiring run, or maybe there's a charge for him to dispose of the old dish and old wiring? I'm going to be pretty peeved if any additional costs come into play and I'm not made aware of them until the day my tech shows up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

the new dish needs a larger pole than the old dish, so you might need an adaptor. You will probably need to pay for that.
running 125 feet of line for each rcvr through one outside wall is standard. Fishing interior walls in not standard and would be charged.

Old dishes and wiring will not be disposed of. The installer will just leave the old dish behind for you to deal with. Old wiring will be checked and if it is ok it will be reused.
otherwise you will have the old wires, and new ones
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Truman - How big is the conduit already in place? If the new dish is a standard 5-LNB Slimline then you're talking about 4 lines from the dish, not the two you have now. Cramming 4 lines into a standard electrical conduit can be a bit of challenge. Whether fixing that costs you I can't say.

And as posted above, no way a new dish is going to fit on your existing mount and pole. I'd bet the tech will completely pull down the existing and put up a whole new dish, pole, and mount. Hopefully it'll fit where your present dish is located. Even if it does require moving that shouldn't cost additional assuming standard mounting.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Assuming your pole is well done and secure you can purchase something like http://cgi.ebay.com/...91660QQihZ005QQ to allow the new dish to be mounted on the old pole. I used one for my pole mount and it has worked great.

#5 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Would DirecTV consider the adapter to pass QC for their install? I understand the adapters work, in fact a neighbor is using one, but even he wonders when a strong wind is going to pull down or move his dish since he doesn't have monopoles installed.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

The eBay adapters work, and should be fine on a pole mount, *provided* that the pole mount was properly installed in the first place with a couple big sacks of concrete and that some measure was taken to prevent the post from spinning. This can be done by hammering the end of the pole flat (or, at least, non-round) or by drilling and running a bolt through it. If you just drop a round pole in the ground, a strong wind will break the pole loose and it will spin.

#7 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

Assuming your pole is well done and secure you can purchase something like http://cgi.ebay.com/...91660QQihZ005QQ to allow the new dish to be mounted on the old pole. I used one for my pole mount and it has worked great.

+1 on this, although as someone above posted, I don't know if D* will install the dish on this adapter. I have installed two of these for my parents and in-laws, and they haven't moved yet; we have had some wicked wind so far this Winter and so far so good.

If it's not stock from D* (which the adapter is not), then the installer probably won't install it for you. If there is a problem down the road with your setup (needs re-aligned) and someone has to come out and realign it, then the installer gets charged. If I was an installer I wouldn't want to mess with it, and my sentiment is probably the same as most installers. A new pole mount will cost you, although I'm not sure how much.

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

+1 on this, although as someone above posted, I don't know if D* will install the dish on this adapter. I have installed two of these for my parents and in-laws, and they haven't moved yet; we have had some wicked wind so far this Winter and so far so good.

If it's not stock from D* (which the adapter is not), then the installer probably won't install it for you. If there is a problem down the road with your setup (needs re-aligned) and someone has to come out and realign it, then the installer gets charged. If I was an installer I wouldn't want to mess with it, and my sentiment is probably the same as most installers. A new pole mount will cost you, although I'm not sure how much.

some installers carry the adaptor, and will install it as it is less hassle than putting in a new pole. most of them are contract rather than in house.
it is worth a shot (in other words asking the installer)
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#9 OFFLINE   Simmerman

Simmerman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Its' hard to say that there will be no extra charges without a tech actually coming to your house and doing a site survey. The CSR's on the phone can be helpful but they are not the ones doing your upgrade. Getting upset at the tech when he shows up will not enhance his desire to get you what you want.

I find that patience and a "gesture of appreciation" (though not expected) on your part can make a job go smother for both of you. When a customer is courteous and treats the tech with respect, the tech will usually will go the extra mile and maybe not charge for the little things and be more responsive to the little requests.

#10 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

The tech is not getting paid by Directv to run all new cables. The tech will only be getting paid to install the new dish and the 2nd line for the hd-dvr. Any new cabling other than that will basically be a side job and the tech will set his own price. Let him know that you want to be given his price so that you can agree, or not, before he gets started.

#11 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

thank you all for the great info. :]

it looks like i can anticipate some additional charges because i'm going to request all new wiring regardless of the cost, and i'd much rather an entirely new pole versus an adapter.

oh, and simmerman, definitely good advice that i wish a whole lot more people would consider following. i was a tsr for dish network years ago, and i can't tell you the number of times i was screamed at. i always make sure to be especially conscious of the tone i use over the phone, and i'm sure i'll be offering the tech a cup of coffee or two. it's cold as hell around here!

#12 OFFLINE   Simmerman

Simmerman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

Truman

You are most welcome sir. Glad we could help.

Happy New Year

spam firewall