Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing rooms for a receiver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kandor

kandor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

I feel really stupid asking this, but here goes:

I have 2 HD-DVRs, 1 HD and 1 standard receiver. I want to move the HD receiver to a different room where there is a coax cable but DTV wasn't installed into that room. In my attic I find the 6x8 multiswitch with 6 lines going out. It's hard for me to trace where the cables are going to after they leave the multiswitch: it's just a group of cables that go into the wall. I know I can just unplug each cable until I find which one I need to disconnect, but I can't find the cable that's going to the new room.

Shouldn't there be an unconnected cable in this mess that leads to the new room?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Should be.

Is the room your wanting to move the box too back to back with a room that currently has a box?

If so, are the wall jacks back to back?

If the builder was lazy/cheap, he may have just put a 2 way splitter behind the wall plate.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 ONLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

....or sometimes installers look at what they have to work with and make adjustments, especially when DVR's are involved. Sometimes they don't bother the homeowner with insignificant details.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

http://www.summitsou...roducts_id=5733

Spend $15 for this tool (Pocket Toner), which will help you track down that cable. It is really a battery and a speaker. You put the battery side on one end of the cable (in the room where you want to move the receiver) and plug the speaker end onto the loose cables until it beeps. The one that beeps is the one you want.

Note that lines hooked up to sat receivers will also beep the speaker, as the sat receivers put DC voltage on the line just like the battery.

#5 OFFLINE   kandor

kandor

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

http://www.summitsou...roducts_id=5733

Spend $15 for this tool (Pocket Toner), which will help you track down that cable. It is really a battery and a speaker. You put the battery side on one end of the cable (in the room where you want to move the receiver) and plug the speaker end onto the loose cables until it beeps. The one that beeps is the one you want.

Thanks! That's just what I need.

#6 OFFLINE   dlocks

dlocks

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

I feel really stupid asking this, but here goes:

I have 2 HD-DVRs, 1 HD and 1 standard receiver. I want to move the HD receiver to a different room where there is a coax cable but DTV wasn't installed into that room. In my attic I find the 6x8 multiswitch with 6 lines going out. It's hard for me to trace where the cables are going to after they leave the multiswitch: it's just a group of cables that go into the wall. I know I can just unplug each cable until I find which one I need to disconnect, but I can't find the cable that's going to the new room.

Shouldn't there be an unconnected cable in this mess that leads to the new room?

Seems to me that all 6 lines should be used up.
2 to each dvr = 4
1 to hd receiver = 1
1 to sd receiver = 1
total = 6

#7 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Seems to me that all 6 lines should be used up.
2 to each dvr = 4
1 to hd receiver = 1
1 to sd receiver = 1
total = 6

If he has the WB68, the 6 is for the satellite outputs (4 main outputs from dish + 2 flexports for 72.5/international dishes) that feed the signal to the switch. The switch then can output a signal to 8 separate tuners. 6 in, 8 out.

#8 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

If he has the WB68, the 6 is for the satellite outputs (4 main outputs from dish + 2 flexports for 72.5/international dishes) that feed the signal to the switch. The switch then can output a signal to 8 separate tuners. 6 in, 8 out.

Yeah, I believe he knows that. The problem is he has six coax feeds coming out of the WB68 and he thought one was unused, but with 2xHD-DVR + 1xHD and 1xSD receiver, he is using all six feeds. The unused feed in the other room is then likely not connected to the WB68. It may go to a cable demarc outside the house or to a cable splitter int he attic or basement. it sounds like he needs to pull some more cable to get this outlet hot on the WB68.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...