Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Aduio Formated Movies

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

Since Santa was kind enough to give me a BDP-S550 for Christmas I have been wondering what movies are available and which ones are coming with the 7.1 sound mix. I have only one, Rush Hour 3, and it wasn't as impressive as I had hoped.

What movies are available in these formats?

What movies are coming in these formats?

Which movie is your favorite in these formats for sound dispersion?

Are you using analog or HDMI?

Any information would be very helpful, thanks! :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

Are you asking about TrueHD/dts-HD or 7.1?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

If you're just looking for lossless audio, there's hundreds. If you're specifically looking for 7.1, you have these:

3:10 to Yuma
Bangkok Dangerous
The Bank Job
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
The Condemned
Dark City
The Eye
The Forbidden Kingdom
The Golden Compass
Hairspray
Hellboy II
Mr. Woodcock
Nightmare before Christmas
The Orphanage
Pans Labyrinth
Rambo
Rush Hour 3
Saw IV
Semi-Pro
Shoot Em Up
War
Sleeping Beauty

It's basically just Lionsgate and New Line that have put out 7.1 movies. Of all of those listed, I don't think any of them have reference sound, with the exception of Hellboy II.

Having 7.1 does not mean it will sound great. I'd rather have reference 5.1 audio and matrix it into 7.1 via THX Cinema2 or ProLogicIIx.

The following are only 5.1, but will blow away most of the 7.1 tracks listed above:

APOCALYPTO (LPCM)
BAND OF BROTHERS (DTS-HD:MA)
BLACK HAWK DOWN (LPCM)
CLOVERFIELD (TrueHD)
THE DARK KNIGHT (TrueHD)
DIE HARD 4.0 (DTS-HD:MA)
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (DTS-HD:MA)
KUNG FU PANDA (TrueHD)
MASTER & COMMANDER (DTS-HD:MA)
THE MATRIX (TrueHD)
MATRIX RELOADED (TrueHD)
MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (TrueHD)
MR. & MRS. SMITH (DTS-HD:MA)
RATATOUILLE (LPCM)
TRANSFORMERS (TrueHD)
U-571 (DTS-HD:MA)

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

7.1, thanks spartanstew!

Ah, ok, I have Star Wars: Clone Wars I need to watch it (the only BluRay with THX).

What is meant by Reference Audio?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Pretty much every new Lionsgate releases have 7.1 DTS-HD MA sound. Please note that the company that does their encoding ACTUALLY creates NEW 7.1 soundtracks for their titles... meaning that the 7.1 is not just "matrixed".

New Line Home Video also used to provide 7.1 DTS-HD MA for ALL their titles. Mi Casa, the company that does their encoding ACTUALLY created NEW 7.1 soundtracks for their titles... meaning that the 7.1 is not just "matrixed". However, since New Line was folded into Warner Bros., Mi Casa no longer does their encoding, and they've started using either 5.1 Dolby TrueHD or 640k 5.1 Dolby Digital.

What movies are available in these formats?

For a list of available/upcoming 7.1 titles (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, and PCM), click here: 7.1 MOVIES

For a list of available/upcoming 6.1 titles (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, and PCM), click here: 6.1 MOVIES

Note that there may be a mistake or two in there, so you might want to double-check reviews and the like. It also does not include "imports".

What movies are coming in these formats?

You can feel safe that all NEW release titles (premiering for the first time on Blu-ray as well as DVD) from Lionsgate will have 7.1 DTS-HD MA.

Blue Underground seems to be fond of 7.1 even for their catalog titles.

Universal has played around with 7.1 sound on "Hellboy II", but that's it.

Disney however seems to be getting in the 7.1 spirit with some of their newer releases like the newest "Narnia" movie, "The Nightmare Before Christmas", "Wall-E", and of course, "Pinocchio" coming out in March.

Other than that, not much.

As for your other questions, I do not have "lossless" audio available to me at the time as I'm currently using a PS3 for my Blu-ray viewing along with an older AVR... without HDMI.

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

Having 7.1 does not mean it will sound great. I'd rather have reference 5.1 audio and matrix it into 7.1 via THX Cinema2 or ProLogicIIx.

If a title is reference in 5.1, there's no reason it won't be reference in 7.1.

There are advantages in having 7.1 "lossless" soundtrack over a "matrixed" 5.1 "lossless" soundtrack due to the fact that your rear speakers won't be transmitting discrete "lossless" sound.

That being said, the number of titles where it will make a difference are slim due to the fact that MOST films were MIXED for 5.1, so very little sound will truly be used in the rear speakers. Still, if given a choice, I'd take "lossless" 7.1 soundtracks over a "matrixed" version any day.

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

Ah, ok, I have Star Wars: Clone Wars I need to watch it (the only BluRay with THX).

"Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" is THX as well. I was wanting to say there was one or two more, but I think I'm getting confused.

What is meant by Reference Audio?

Well, technically, "reference audio" is audio identical to the source, though I believe, in this case, spartanstew was using it to refer to "demo" material.

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

If a title is reference in 5.1, there's no reason it won't be reference in 7.1.

Correct, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Well, technically, "reference audio" is audio identical to the source, though I believe, in this case, spartanstew was using it to refer to "demo" material.

Correct again.

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Correct, didn't mean to imply otherwise

You didn't! Think of what I said as more of an addition/elaboration that I wanted to add! ;)

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks Guys, you are a huge help!

I didn't notice the Indian Jones movie had THX...

I was having problems getting the 7.1 working but now I've cracked that nut in a manner of speaking. I'm using analogs to my AVR-5805 so I have set up the BDP to give it priority and produce direct. Now I'm hearing more things, very kewl stuff!

Thanks again gentlemen!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Guys, you are a huge help!

I didn't notice the Indian Jones movie had THX...

I was having problems getting the 7.1 working but now I've cracked that nut in a manner of speaking. I'm using analogs to my AVR-5805 so I have set up the BDP to give it priority and produce direct. Now I'm hearing more things, very kewl stuff!

Thanks again gentlemen!

Another title with THX, although it is an import is T2 Premium Edition from Japan.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

This is a great site for getting all sorts of stats on titles
http://www.blu-rayst...Stats/Stats.php

Also, this site is great for getting a review on the transfer and audio before a purchase.
http://www.highdefdigest.com
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

I wonder what the buzz is about any of the 6 Star Wars movies ever being released in Blu-Ray. The fact that George Lucas has always been on the forefront of digital technology and all would lead one to believe he'd want to get his movies out in BD and reap another pile of profit.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

I wonder what the buzz is about any of the 6 Star Wars movies ever being released in Blu-Ray. The fact that George Lucas has always been on the forefront of digital technology and all would lead one to believe he'd want to get his movies out in BD and reap another pile of profit.

I would think you are correct. My son simply loves these movies and I can only imagine him wanting this series on BluRay. We did get Clone Wars but that isn't the same being an animation.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

There's a bunch of those kinds of movies still in the "pending" bucket...including all the Star Wars movies, E.T., and others.....from what I've read in the past...there has been an intentional decision not to release these in HD disk versions based on Lucas, Spielberg, and other "content owners" for no known reason.

Hopefully, they come out some time in the next year or so...as there is no pattern to why some have come out ("Close Encounters" for example) and others have not.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

There's a bunch of those kinds of movies still in the "pending" bucket...including all the Star Wars movies, E.T., and others.....from what I've read in the past...there has been an intentional decision not to release these in HD disk versions based on Lucas, Spielberg, and other "content owners" for no known reason.

Hopefully, they come out some time in the next year or so...as there is no pattern to why some have come out ("Close Encounters" for example) and others have not.

Disney does weird things like limited production runs etcetera. I suspect there are similar types of issues with these movies.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

Also, this site is great for getting a review on the transfer and audio before a purchase.
http://www.highdefdigest.com

Personally, I recommend trying several different sites to get a feel for the people that review the titles. The reason for that is that I've read some reviews where the people gave good reviews for "crappy" quality releases, and gave the thumbs down to some GREAT releases. Quite a few of those reviews have come from HighDefDigest, and I honestly don't even bother to read their reviews anymore.

I prefer Blu-ray.com's reviews myself, but I try to read a few other sites as well... often to get a general consensus, though I rarely let a review sway me as I stopped buying DVD some time ago.

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

It took years for the "Star Wars" movies to come out on DVD. One of the reasons why this is, is because George Lucas likes to wait until there is a considerable user base before releasing his movies.

"Star Wars" will come out on Blu-ray, but don't expect them for a few years... and it wouldn't surprise me if he "tests" the water with the prequel trilogy first.

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

While we are at it does anyone know if the PS3 will be updated soon to allow me to pass an undecoded signal via bitstream over HDMI.

I resently set up my buddy's reciever and he has the Samsung 2550. I was able to send it bitsream and let the AVR decode it as Dolby True or DTS MA.

With the PS3 I have to send it PCM and the onscreen display just says multichannel PCM. While I know the uncompressed audio is encoded on the PS3 before it's sent out I would like my AVR to do the work.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

There are some "known" reasons.

As for "Star Wars", read my earlier reply about George Lucas.

As for "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind", it was the 30th Anniversary, and Sony was going to release a 30th Anniversary DVD set. Spielberg is a "fan" of the Blu-ray format and allowed Sony, one of the primary backers of Blu-ray to release the title. There may have been more details, but I don't remember all of them.

Speaking of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, Spielberg was one of the main reasons why Indy IV was released last year. Lucas wanted to wait until Blu-ray adoption grows, but Spielberg wanted to go ahead and release it. Not to mention the fact that Spielberg was supposedly for releasing the first three as well, but Lucas was against it. I guess they compromised.

A lot of big movies being released this coming year, like the LOTR movies, "Gone With The Wind" and other classics, and rumor has it, the "Alien" movies. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least ONE Spielberg movie next year, but I'd be surprised if it came before the 3Q. Most of his movies will be similar to how they were released on DVD... a trickle at first.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...