Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Aduio Formated Movies

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,805 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

While we are at it does anyone know if the PS3 will be updated soon to allow me to pass an undecoded signal via bitstream over HDMI.

While there is some debate over this, it's believed that the PS3 will NEVER be able to bitstream over HDMI due to hardware limitations.

Since you will lose sound effects, and some features (secondary audio, etc), there's not really a reason to "bitstream" the audio, but should you want to, you'll have to buy another player capable of bitstreaming the audio (most current generation players).

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,582 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

It's all part of the chicken/egg syndrome.

Studios are afraid to release mega-catalog-classics right now because they will undersell... and by the time major Blu ray adoption happens, those titles will be in bargain bins.

But not releasing those titles slows the pace of the adoption.

Someone is just going to have to bite the bullet and release something major. Blockbuster new titles are good, obviously, but there are a few classics (like the aforementioned Star Wars movies) that could cause a major spike in Blu ray player sales I believe.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Yeah I know and there is really no advantage other than the AVR OSD correctly labeling the right adiuo format.

"Since you will lose sound effects"

I don't see why I would lose anything.

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,805 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

"Since you will lose sound effects"

I don't see why I would lose anything.

Read this link... especially the third and fourth paragraphs.

Basically, menu sounds, PIP audio, and the like are mixed seperately, and the player mixes them together. Bitstreaming however bypasses that, and you will lose sound effects by doing so.

Most people don't care, but unless you just like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA appear on your receiver, there's really no advantage to getting the receiver to decode the codecs, but there's certainly a disadvantage.

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

Both of my receivers (AVR-3806 and AVR-5805) can't decode these puppies so I get multichannel in...my AVR-5805 is connected via analog and it appears to work very well. the AVR-3806 is hooked up HDMI and I can't tell if there are any issues with downmixing, yet. Eventually I will have the AVR-3806 connected to the BDP-S550 via analog and there shouldn't be any issues.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#26 OFFLINE   denonguy

denonguy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

I have a Denon 4308 and have learned quite a bit about it but please tell me how to best program the Denon 4308 to make 5.1 be 7.1? I have 7.1 speakers and right now just use the 7 channel stereo setup to convert 5.1 to 7.1 but this Denon has MANY more settings.

Thanks!

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Try ProLogicIIx.

Sometimes it'll say PLIIx + MV + THX (or a bunch of other stuff), but just look for PLIIx

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

Try ProLogicIIx.

Sometimes it'll say PLIIx + MV + THX (or a bunch of other stuff), but just look for PLIIx

If it is like the 3806 or 5805 use PLIIx C for cinema PLIIx M is for music. There are a couple of others too, essentially you have to tell it to turn on Surround Back channels on and the AVR will matrix the 5.1 to 7.1.

You may need to tell the speaker setup you have the other two channels. I'm unfamiliar with the new GUI (which looks really cool BTW). I will be updating my 3806 to the 4308CI mid year, unless there is anotherone in that price range when I update.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

Protected By... spam firewall...And...