Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP-replacing 5LNB head w/ 3 LNB SWM...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cyberdude_pete

cyberdude_pete

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

So I decided to clean up my cabling and run a new cable from my dish (a slimline) to my breakout box.

I simply removed the 5 LNB head and replaced it with the 3LNB SWM head. I didn't touch the dish.

Wired it all up and ran a single feed from the dish-In line power-down to my HR21 (no splitter at the moment to reduce variables).

A friend of mine is into high end installs, but I haven't bugged him yet.

Here's the deal, he lent me a SWM Installation meter (SIM01). I plugged it in to the end of the cable going to the HR21. Everything lights up. But I get no signal when the unit boots up. when I look for signal strength, everything is zero.

Is there a magic reset I need to do to make it work? Seems it "knows" I have the SWM hooked up because that's what all the screens say I have.

Do I need to re-aim the dish because of the new LMB?

Man, it hurts being a NOOB who knows just enough to get himself in trouble : (

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

So I decided to clean up my cabling and run a new cable from my dish (a slimline) to my breakout box.

I simply removed the 5 LNB head and replaced it with the 3LNB SWM head. I didn't touch the dish.

Wired it all up and ran a single feed from the dish-In line power-down to my HR21 (no splitter at the moment to reduce variables).

A friend of mine is into high end installs, but I haven't bugged him yet.

Here's the deal, he lent me a SWM Installation meter (SIM01). I plugged it in to the end of the cable going to the HR21. Everything lights up. But I get no signal when the unit boots up. when I look for signal strength, everything is zero.

Is there a magic reset I need to do to make it work? Seems it "knows" I have the SWM hooked up because that's what all the screens say I have.

Do I need to re-aim the dish because of the new LMB?

Man, it hurts being a NOOB who knows just enough to get himself in trouble : (

did you install the power inserter between the dish and the rcvr?
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

did you redo the sat setup for the 3lnb in the HR2x menu's? I'm pretty sure that's needed to be done as well in order for it to work properly.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#4 OFFLINE   cyberdude_pete

cyberdude_pete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Yes. That's there and seemingly functional singe the meter says I have proper power.

#5 OFFLINE   cyberdude_pete

cyberdude_pete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Are there any steps besides rebooting the machine from a cold start? Not sure I saw anything beyond the signal and setup options. Seems when it tries to capture a signal, it says no transponders found.

#6 OFFLINE   cyberdude_pete

cyberdude_pete

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

To add more info...On sat setup, its says I have:

1. Slimline 3S (SWM)
2. SWM
3. Dual Tuners

It gives me the info about the direction of the dish (I assume since I didn't touch the dish when swapping heads, it should be fine (?)

However, when I check signal strength....goose eggs.

#7 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

Since the HR21 is seeing the correct configuration, I'd say you have everything connected properly. It's possible that the dish mount is slightly loose and allowed it to get slightly out of alignment when you swapped the LNB's. I'd look to doing an alignment. Of course it would be easy enough to check by installing the old LNB to see if it works. If it does, then that indicates that the alignment is OK and the problem lies int he connections or a bad SWM LNB.

#8 OFFLINE   HDPeeT

HDPeeT

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:13 AM

Did you remove the BBCs?:grin:

spam firewall