Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Time for XBOX 360 MRV?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

I remember a year or two ago there was talk of a D* "Blade" on the XBOX 360 which would allow for MRV streaming from a D* DVR. With Directv2pc and the development of MRV by Directv I would think it would be easy to stream to the 360 as well as a client. My two HRs show up as media servers on my PS3 already (although nothing is accesible). Are there any rumors of new developments on this front?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

You are probably thinking of the HDPC-20 which has at the very least been put on indefinite hold.

I remember a year or two ago there was talk of a D* "Blade" on the XBOX 360 which would allow for MRV streaming from a D* DVR. With Directv2pc and the development of MRV by Directv I would think it would be easy to stream to the 360 as well as a client. My two HRs show up as media servers on my PS3 already (although nothing is accesible). Are there any rumors of new developments on this front?

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

No, there was definite talk of D* coming to XBOX 360. It was going to be one of the "blades" and let the XBOX 360 act as a media extender from a D* DVR (HR20 at the time.) The XBOX 360 interface has changed with the NXE winter update and they offer Netflix streaming as well as their own media download service in their own individual media sections. I don't think it would be too hard for Microsoft to impliment D* MRV into the NXE interface, that is if their relationship with D* is still there.

#4 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

I would think the D* priority would be getting MRV to work with there current IRDs before they bring it to a game console. I know that the PS3 is DLNA compliant whereas the xbox360 is not. So I would think that it would be easier to implement it to the PS3. I am pretty sure that the PS3 supports HDCP and I am not too sure that the Xbox360 does. That would be the first step in supporting MRV on one of these consoles. I am not sure that MRV will be coming to these console but maybe Tom or Doug knows more on this?
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

But Directv has a current relationship with Microsoft and none with Sony. So I would guess 360 before PS3 if anything, but you never know ;)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

But Directv has a current relationship with Microsoft and none with Sony. So I would guess 360 before PS3 if anything, but you never know ;)

Very true. I also figure with the economic downturn that D* won't be putting this type of project in their budget for right now.
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

I won't say this rumor wasn't out there, but I sure don't remember it .. There certainly wasn't anything like this at CES last year.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:53 AM

Doug, there was definitley something out there regarding this. Either a PR from Microsoft or DirecTV as well IIRC.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#9 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

I tracked this one down and it just shows how careful you have to be when reading this stuff. Endgadget published this information in February of 2006 along with a picture of an XBox 360 blade with DirecTV on it. Here's where the problem comes in... they got it from XBox Magazine which clearly labeled it nothing but a rumor. No Press Release from either Microsoft or DirecTV. I have attached the picture that appeared.. Please note the use of the terms "mole" and "scuttlebut".

However, in the original press release announcing the deal between Microsoft and DirecTV there was this sentence: "Deal will enable flow of high-quality digital content between Windows-based PCs, DIRECTV set-top boxes, PlaysForSure devices and the Xbox 360 system."

This makes sense in that had the HDPC-20 been completed, Windows Media Center would have been available from the PC to the XBOX360 as an extender and thus would have placed the Media Center/DirecTV interface on your screen thru the XBox 360.

Doug, there was definitley something out there regarding this. Either a PR from Microsoft or DirecTV as well IIRC.

Edited by LarryFlowers, 30 December 2008 - 08:32 AM.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Larry,

Thanks for digging this up .. At this point with the HDPC-20 being cancelled, it looks like the result for the Xbox360 is that it's done as well.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

At this point with the HDPC-20 being cancelled, it looks like the result for the Xbox360 is that it's done as well.

"Cancelled" is a very strong word and one that was not used by DIRECTV in announcing the suspension of the HDPC-20.

#12 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

"Cancelled" is a very strong word and one that was not used by DIRECTV in announcing the suspension of the HDPC-20.

Would you prefer "not happening in the relevant future?"

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

Would you prefer "not happening in the relevant future?"

When they followed the suspension announcement up with a statement that they were continuing to explore the Pee Cee viewing space, I'm not sure that works for me either.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

"Suspended indefintely" and "cancelled" tend to have very similar lifespans. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...