Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (600 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (416 votes [69.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.33%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

** Disclaimer ** This post is for informational purposes only. Opening a leased receiver violates your DIRECTV Customer Agreement. DBSTalk.com does not condone any violation of contract, per our forum rules.

Please DO NOT DISCUSS extracting programs from the DVR in this forum. This will NOT be tolerated by the moderators! Okay, here we go!!!

Thank you's: I did not come up with this process entirely on my own. My desire to do it was based on the fact that I did it in the past to my DirecTivos and I wanted to see if I could do it again. Many thanks to 'P Smith' and 'llowery' who posted the original messages that gave me the knowledge to get started when working with the filesystems. It took a few private messages back and forth from them until I was able to complete this process.

Update: 12/2/2009 - A big thanks to Clambert, who created a photo tutorial of this whole process! Find the tutorial here: Click Here

FYI- I have successfully performed this upgrade on 2 HR20-700's, so this is NOT theory or speculation. It actually works, and I maintained all settings and content from before, plus gained extra space.

First, why did I want to do this?

1) I don't want an external hard drive box on top of or beside my HR-20 making more noise and using more power.
2) I want to retain all of my settings, recording lists, and current recorded shows.
3) The same reason a dogs licks... Well you get the idea, I wanted to do it as a challenge.

Second, What do I need to do this?

1) A T10 Torx screwdriver. My regular T10 worked for me. Another contributor to this thread notes:

The screws holding the cover on my HR20 are security Torx screws so a normal driver will not work. (Driver needs a hole drilled in the tip on the long axis which will fit over the post inside the screw hole.) One source for such a driver is:
http://www.partsexpr....number=360-097

2) A Phillips screwdriver.
3) A computer with SATA interface.
4) Proper software for the computer. You could possibly do this completely with Linux. I didn't. I used Ghost, MBR Tool and Tiny Hexer.
5) A SATA internal hard drive. I used a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar.
6) A pair of snips.
7) Possibly a pair of pliers depending on your unit.

Lastly, let's get to it!

1) Take out the 5 T10 Torx screws from the back of the unit.
2) Note that you are breaking a seal that violates the warranty when you remove the cover.
3) Slide the cover towards the back of the unit and it will come unlatched, then you can remove it.
4) Remove the SATA connector, Power connector and Fan Power connector from the internal hard drive.
5) Find the 2 plastic fasteners that attach the drive mount to the frame. Place your Torx screwdriver in the center of them and push the plastic pin downward. This will release them and they can be removed.
6) Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the ground wire. You can't remove the Torx side unless you have some type of tamper-proof driver, as far as I can tell.
7) Now is the hardest part. I have done this on 2 different HR20's and they were both different. You have to remove the 2 screws holding the drive mount to the front of the unit. On one of mine, their were nuts holding them, so I just removed the nuts with a pair of pliers. That was fairly easy and I didn't have to remove the front panel. On my other unit, they were screwed in from the front, so you have to remove the front panel and unscrew them with your Torx screwdriver. It takes some patience and coordination to remove the front panel. Good luck!
8) You have to snip the tie wrap on the fan power connector in order to remove the hard drive.
9) Remove the hard drive mount (and hard drive) from the unit.
10) You need to install the new drive into the HR20 temporarily and power it up. Let the HR20 format the drive and then shut it back down. This is important because you have to write down the partition information from the new drive.
11) Now is the fun part. Hook your new drive and current internal drive up to a computer with a SATA interface.

Beginning with the 0.3.7-7 release of the Gparted Live Linux distribution, all of the data copying can now be accomplished using bootable Gparted Live media.

Thanks go to daniellee and ntrance for providing this process through trial and error. To complete this process you need to burn and use the GParted Live CD, gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later. The version of the CD is important because some models of DVR drives power up in standby mode and therefore must be given the "spin up" command by Linux. This command only occurs using GParted Live versions 0.3.7-7 and later.

Update: 2/27/2010 - There seems to be an issue with Gparted version 0.5.1-1. According to user brucehappy: "I can confirm that gparted 0.5.1-1 was not working for me at all. It would just hang when starting the dump piped to the restore. I had passed -p 60 to get reports every 60 seconds and ever saw a single one. Killed the partitions, reformatted the new drive, used 0.4.6-1 and all worked perfectly fine."

Step 1 – Let the HR20 format the new ESATA drive.

a) Shut down the HR20
B) Connect the ESATA drive & turn it on.
c) Restart the HR20
d) Confirm that the HR20 is now using the ESATA drive instead of the internal drive.

Step 2 - Perform a “graceful power down”

a) This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step – the linux mount commands will fail with a “Can’t read from Superblock” error if this step isn’t taken. It is imperative that both drives experience a “graceful power down” while connected to the HR20.
B) After the HR20 is powered off, turn off the ESATA drive and remove the bare drive from the ESATA enclosure.

Step 3 – Connect the drives to the PC & copy.

a) Get/burn a linux boot cd of GParted Live CD, gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later.
http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

UPDATE 4/22/2011 - Notes on GParted from user "jes" (John):

I thought I'd share this with you in case you want to update the instructions in
your disc copy threads...

As you may have noted, there is a problem with newer version of xfsrestore...
:confused: I've confirmed that the version in ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 also have
problems... I even tried updating one of my no longer used installs of ubuntu to
10.10 server to make sure it wasn't some obscure problem from running off the Live
CD. In retrospect, that lost what was probably a usable version of xfsrestore.
:nono2: Since I recently tossed all my old unbuntu CDs, I couldn't restore the old
version... I did however find an old KNOPPIX Live DVD, 5.3. Everything seems to have
worked from that.

To add insult to injury, :eek2: , I apparently hit an up arrow and Enter while
waking up the KNOPPIX system when I checked on it... When the copy finished after
almost 8.5 hrs, It obediently queued the commands and repeated the copy command...
:bang so if you update your post, maybe you could edit the commands to protect the
impatient ones from themselves... ;)

Code:
---------
xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap ; umount /mnt/fap
---------
and/or maybe add some progess indication:

Code:
---------
xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J -p 600 - /mnt/fap ; umount /mnt/fap
---------
Thanks to both of you for sharing this information,
John

B) On the PC, connect the new drive to SATA0 and the original HR20 drive to SATA1 and boot up GParted Live CD.
c) You can use qtparted in system menu to verify which drive is which under linux. It is very important that you know the drive letter (a or b or whatever) that linux is assigning to each drive so that you get the sd(drive letter) right in the mount commands below. Normally with the new drive on SATA0 and the original HR20 drive on SATA1 linux will see the new drive as sda and the original HR20 drive as sdb - but you should check it to be sure.
d) Get a linux command line prompt and enter the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

(The next line will start the copying process and on my system took about 70 minutes to complete.)

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

(After the dump/restore has finished enter:)

umount /mnt/hr20
umount /mnt/fap

Step 4 – Check it out

a) Shut down GParted Live CD and remove power from the PC
B) Return the new SATA drive to the ESATA enclosure and reconnect the original HR20’s HD power & SATA cables.
c) Close up everything, reconnect everything, turn on the ESATA drive and power-up the HR20.

Step 5 – Enjoy More DirecTV HDTV

Thanks to Rodhead who posted the process for replacing the drive in the HR20-100.
Here is the process:

Replacing the stock hard-drive in a HR20 model 100 is incredibly easy!

I got two new HR20-100s last week, free from DirecTV. I bought a 1TB Western Digital SATA drive and decided to upgrade one DVR as a trial.

Some notes about previous postings:

a. there is no security tag of any kind on the back.
b. the original drive was set to 300 MB/s transfer rate so there's no need to drop down to 150.

Only Torx T10 and T15 screwdrivers are needed.

Here's the procedure:

1. Remove five screws form the back and slide the cover back a bit, up at the back and then away.
2. The drive is mounted in a black plastic holder. The holder is attached to the box on the front side. A separate black plastic bracket clamps the holder down on the rear side. A fan on the underside of the holder vents out the box through slots in the bottom.
3. Unplug the fan cable from the motherboard. Unplug the SATA and power cables from the drive.
4. Unscrew seven screws and remove the drive holder and bracket.
5. Flip the holder over and detach the drive from the holder by unscrewing four screws. On one side they are clearly visible. On the other side, they must be acecssed through the fan blades.
6. Pop in the new drive and reattach with screws.
7. Put the holder back in the box and reattach the bracket.
8. Plug in the fan cable, power and SATA cables.
9. Close the box.

You're done. Total time, 15 minutes at the most. Obviously, if you want to preserve drive contents you'll have to copy partitions as described earlier.

If you see errors, problems, issues, etc. with this process, please message me and I will edit and make changes. I am also interested in hearing any alternate ways of doing this, or any ways that are easier or will save time.

Edited by marty45714, 22 April 2011 - 06:29 PM.
Added new info about photo tutorial from Clambert.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

Please make sure to read the disclaimer and take the poll!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

I do not agree that this is "an improved version" of the thread. The other thread had the same summary first post, plus more information for anyone who wanted to read the all the messages. The poll is now worded with such a strong bias, that there really is no reason to have a poll. How about changing the title of the thread to "How to copy and replace the internal or an external drive." Then add a poll option like, "I plan to upgrade my external drive and keep all my content." That is a perfectly acceptable use for the information and does not violate the lease agreement.

Here's the original closed thread for anyone wanting to attempt the procedure and has some questions that may have already been answered.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=100894

#4 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

Glad to see my Steps 1 -> 5 made it over to the new thread. Also glad to see them updated with the latest Gparted information. But if anyone finds some of the instructions a bit confusing it’s probably because the steps were taken somewhat out of context. My goal was not to replace the original drive in the HR2x. My goal was instead to add an ESATA drive without losing my programs and settings. And without having to remove the original drive. If you read the first part of my original post I think the Steps 1-> 5 above will make a little more sense.

http://www.dbstalk.c...1&postcount=126

So with that small caveat - thank you marty45714. Good job.

Edited by daniellee, 02 January 2009 - 09:21 AM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#5 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

What is the process for copying external to a new external?
It should minimize the steps shouldn't it?
Rob

#6 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

What is the process for copying external to a new external?
It should minimize the steps shouldn't it?
Rob

Sure, just leave out the part about screwdrivers, and start with step 1.

#7 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

If that was sarcasm I didn't dig it too much.

The last time I read any message on this subject it was Aug 08.
At that time Danny told me that Gparted might not be needed.
That's what my question was based on. Here's what he said:

I’m wondering if the GParted steps were actually needed in your case. I would think that since neither of the drives you were using was the internal HR2x drive you should not have had the spin-up problem. I thought only the 320Gb drives shipped in the DVRs would require these steps.

#8 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

If that was sarcasm I didn't dig it too much.

The last time I read any message on this subject it was Aug 08.
At that time Danny told me that Gparted might not be needed.
That's what my question was based on. Here's what he said:

I’m wondering if the GParted steps were actually needed in your case. I would think that since neither of the drives you were using was the internal HR2x drive you should not have had the spin-up problem. I thought only the 320Gb drives shipped in the DVRs would require these steps.

It wasn't sarcasm. There are several item 1's listed, just start with the one labeled "Step 1." gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later is the only software you will need. You likely wouldn't have had the spin-up problem anyway, and could use older versions or other linux distributions, but since it is simple enough just to complete the whole procedure with that version you might as well use it.

#9 OFFLINE   CTskydiver

CTskydiver

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

What is the process for copying external to a new external? It should minimize the steps shouldn't it?
Rob

Another testimonial for you all:

I had been using a 750gb Seagate SATA drive in a Antec MX-1 with my HR20-100 for about 6 months or so and was down to 6% free space remaining. I purchased another Antex MX-1 and a Seagate 1.5 TB drive about 2 months ago after reading this article but just now worked up the combined frustration (with my lack of free space) and courage to try the steps I'd read here.

I used the current Gparted Live .iso disc (0.4.1-2) and followed the steps 1-5 exactly as written (including unplugging all four hard drives from my desktop so that I could use my motherboard's sata 0 and sata 1 ports) ... since I had no idea what the syntax I was entering meant, at first, and didn't want to chance a mistake (though the syntax starts to make sense one you do it).

For those wondering, I haven't had any problems with my 1.5 TB Seagate drive's firmware (which has not been updated) and it records and plays back just fine so far. Guess I got one of the good ones.
UPDATE: Scratch that! I spoke to soon. New recordings don't play back right at all. Guess I need the new firmware. 2nd UPDATE: I installed the new firmware (now released to public) and everything NOW works fine. Man, I love my 1.5 TB DVR!! Note: I installed the new hard drive firmware AFTER I did the copy process outlined in post #1. You should probably do it first (less scary) but it doesn't seem to matter if you do it before OR after.

The copy (of a nearly full 750gb hard disk to a 1500gb DVR pre-formatted hard disk) took less than four hours to complete. When plugged back into my DVR, I was ecstatic to find everything still there, still playable, and 56% free space!

It boggles my mind how much content I'll be able to archive on this thing. I already had over 100 HD movies saved on the 750 GB drive. And it is doubly nice to know I'll be able to periodically back this monster up to another 1.5 TB drive if I start worring about losing my shows. The only scary thing is knowing that they are all tied to the same DVR - and that when my DVR dies, I'll lose it all.

BTW, I did the whole initialization of the 1.5tb drive and subsequent copy process with each drive inside their Antec enclosures, hooked up via esata to either the DVR or to my motherboard's sata ports with the adapters included with the Antecs. UPDATE: The Seagate firmware update did NOT take when hooked up via the Antecs. I tried twice, and even though the firmware update software said the update took each time, it failed to change the firmware version when checked after with option "S" (or Seagate's drive detection tool). I had to plug the SATA drives DIRECTLY into my PC motherboard (no external SATA adapters allowed) for the update to take. You MUST verify Drive Detect reports the NEW firmware revision number, SD1B!

Thanks so much to all who contributed to this thread (and the one that proceeded it)!

Edited by CTskydiver, 01 February 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

I'm just thrilled that my original thread lives on! Thanks moderators!!!

#11 OFFLINE   jfuchtm

jfuchtm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Man were were you when I lost all my HD versions of Star War's, not that I attemped to do this.......

#12 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Did this using a pair of esata connectors on the back of my desktop with the drives still in their esata enclosures. Took a whole heck of a lot longer than 70 minutes to copy ~600GB of show data from one 1TB drive to another.

Got some funny HANDSHK errors where it reset the interface a few times and eventually decided on a 1.5Gb/s transfer rate. Whole thing took a little more than 4 hours. Maybe the errors were caused by all the esata cabling I was using because of being lazy sticking two esata backplates in instead of fishing the drives out of their enclosures.

The new drive is one of the new Seagate Pipeline drives thats intended for HD DVR's. We'll see if that works out better for me than the old WD Greenpower drive did.

#13 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I just ordered a couple of big drives and will need to copy over the existing drives' content to them. All of the steps look easy enough, but all of my previous HDD replacements were on DirecTiVos (SD and HD). Only part I have a question on is:
xfsdump -J - /mnt/[I]source[/I] | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/[I]target[/I]
Does the xfsrestore process also expand the partitions to the new max size?
--Larry
2 HR20-100 * 1 HR21-700 * 1 HR20-700 * 1 HR23-700 * 2 H23-xxx
AU9-SL3/WB616 MS/OTA (CM4228+CM7777)

#14 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

Does the xfsrestore process also expand the partitions to the new max size?

When you attach the new drive to the DVR for the initial formatting, the partitions are created at the new max size.

#15 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

When you attach the new drive to the DVR for the initial formatting, the partitions are created at the new max size.

Well, there you go, you know - Good old Step 1. :::sigh:::

In the other thread weren't some other folks trying to copy and expand the file system onto a bare drive, without having the STB create it first? Folks intent on replacing the internal drive may not have access to a eSATA enclosure for the easy system format.
--Larry

#16 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

The new drive is one of the new Seagate Pipeline drives thats intended for HD DVR's. We'll see if that works out better for me than the old WD Greenpower drive did.

What happened with the WD green drive? How long did it last?

#17 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

What happened with the WD green drive? How long did it last?

I have had a lot of glitching on that receiver with both a Seagate 500GB plain-jane sata drive and the WD greenpower 1TB drive. It seemed worse with the greenpower. The other receiver I have has a 750GB seagate db35 in it and while it has its issues its much less.

Not sure if I have a receiver problem or a disk problem. The dang thing runs for a week problem free and then lays a bunch of eggs for two or three days.

Last week it deleted about half of the shows sometime during the night, I have very slow menu, guide and trickplay remote response times on it and frequent video and audio glitching. Frequently when doing a VOD download it'll tell me there is a network problem. I'm not having any problems with anything else in the house, including a Roku box.

I know some of those symptoms are known problems with the HR software, but I wanted to see if a fast 7200 rpm drive made for HD dvr's would improve things.

We havent used the unit long enough since putting in the new disk to form an opinion on whether its better. It seems zippier, but it always does when freshly rebooted. I'll let it go for a week or so and see if anything bizarre happens.

Another reason why I wanted to get it in place is because a couple of the moderators have urged people to buy WD DVR expanders or the Seagate Showcase models, without explaining why. The only thing special about those are that they're 7200rpm AV model drives made for HD DVR's. My guess is that these will be the drives that Directv will eventually support, and maybe they'll be the only ones that will work for one reason or another. The Pipeline drive is the disk thats in the Showcase product, and I didnt want to spend $330 for a 1TB external drive when the disk is only $130.
  • onniecruz likes this

#18 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

In the other thread weren't some other folks trying to copy and expand the file system onto a bare drive, without having the STB create it first? Folks intent on replacing the internal drive may not have access to a eSATA enclosure for the easy system format.

When replacing the internal drive, you can connect the STB internal SATA and power connectors to the new drive and power up the STB to format the drive. I believe that would be less work and more reliable than trying to create to proper size partitions manually.

#19 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

When replacing the internal drive, you can connect the STB internal SATA and power connectors to the new drive and power up the STB to format the drive.

This is what I did and I was a little surprised that the format took only a few seconds; I guess it really just created the partition layout.

Ran into a problem copying the old drive contents as it would not spin up on any of my three (admittedly 'older') computers. The drive would detect in the BIOS but the platters never spun up. I changed power (SATA and legacy), SATA cables, SATA ports and computers, no change. The 1.5TB Seagate (ST31500341AS) would detect and spin up every time. :shrug:

I will pop over to a local store to pick up an enclosure and give the copy another whirl later today.
--Larry

#20 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

This is what I did and I was a little surprised that the format took only a few seconds; I guess it really just created the partition layout.

Ran into a problem copying the old drive contents as it would not spin up on any of my three (admittedly 'older') computers. The drive would detect in the BIOS but the platters never spun up. I changed power (SATA and legacy), SATA cables, SATA ports and computers, no change. The 1.5TB Seagate (ST31500341AS) would detect and spin up every time. :shrug:

I will pop over to a local store to pick up an enclosure and give the copy another whirl later today.

Are you sure you are using the latest GParted Live CD as mentioned in Step 3 a) above. It should solve the spin-up problems with the original HR2x drives and is the only Linux you need to complete all the steps.

Edited by daniellee, 29 January 2009 - 07:46 AM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...