Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (600 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (416 votes [69.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.33%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

I am using these instructions in an attempt to copy from one external drive to a new one. When I type the first command in terminal, I get a "permission denied" message.
Any ideas?
Sue
DirecTV customer since 2000
HR20-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

type 'sudo ' at front of your commands

#203 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am using these instructions in an attempt to copy from one external drive to a new one. When I type the first command in terminal, I get a "permission denied" message.
Any ideas?

I went and burned a new CD using gparted-live-0.4.6-1.iso instead of the newer version (0.6.4-1) I originally tried... now it is working. I also used a regular CD-R instead of a CD-RW, but most likely it was the gparted version that made the difference.
Sue
HR20-100

#204 OFFLINE   MeSue

MeSue

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Success! Thanks to all who contributed to this information!
Sue
HR20-100

#205 OFFLINE   tomfischer

tomfischer

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

Big thankyou to marty45714 and others for the excellent instructions!

1) install a new 2TB drive in HR24, allow to format, approximately 30 secs.

Recommend keeping both SAT leads plugged in, not just SAT1 (faster)
Didn't need "security" torx, just regular T10 (for HR20-700)
HR20-700 = ST3300831SCE (300 GB Seagate)
HR24-500 = ST3500312CS (500 GB Seagate)
New Drive = WD20EVDS-63T3B0 (2TB WD)

You are set if that is all you want to do. I got greedy and decided to try and copy all my programs from my HR20-700

2) my Linux box is scsi, so I downloaded Gnome partition manager to my SATA windows computer. Actually first I installed an old version of Linux to my SATA box (RH 7.3) but it wouldn't work because of syncing disks post BIOS. Then I tried the latest version of gparted which didn't work either (not sure why, I had to sudo everything and it still failed on xfsdump | xfsrestore)

3) follow directions and download gparted 0.3.7-7 live CD

4) open an xterm window

mkdir /mnt/old
mkdir /mnt/new
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/old
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdc3 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/new

(depending on your configuration, (I think I had sata 0 Windows, Sata 1 New, Sata 2 Old... run fdisk -l or use the gparted gui to know for sure))

5) xfsdump -J - /mnt/old | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/new

I did this 3 times in total and it took exactly 121 minutes each time on 'my system'

6) unmount hdds and remove

Lessons learned:

1) worked great for upgrading HR20-700, from HR20-700
2) No need to resize third partition, it is automatic
3) problems migrating from HR20-700 to HR24-500

a) at first I opened List and saw all my old programs plus the free space was commensurate with the upgrade and I thought everything was perfect...
B) however, I can't play certain (most) programs. I get a black screen and nothing.. & need to reboot system
c) merging programs was not an issue as I at one point recorded a 1 hour HD before the upgrade and I can still view that, and it was merged flawlessly with old material
d) I left it on for a day and it recorded all the shows I normally record daily which I could play no problem
e) most of my recorded programs, however will not play, and freeze up the system. I thought maybe it was a Mp2/Mp4 thing however that is not the case, because
f) I can view 1 program of a series from before the upgrade - from 1 week ago, but the other episodes from >1 week ago are unviewable

I can't imagine this is the problem, probably coincidence, but I am still trying to pinpoint the exact problem.

Also, I was able to copy my HR20-700 (~270 GB) to a linux partition and then back to another (Directv formatted) HDD and worked fine in the (same) HR20-700. I just have problems trying to migrate to the HR24.

FYI

photos available

#206 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

You cant copy a drive and put it in a different DVR, the recordings are married to the dvr they were recorded on. One of the few exceptions is any OTA recordings should still playback....

#207 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

3) problems migrating from HR20-700 to HR24-500

It was outlined - you can't move/copy between DVR with different serial number.

#208 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

I'd like to make sure I understand post 1 correctly. Starting with "Step1" and ending with "Step5", those appear to be instructions to copy the data from an internal drive to an esata drive and to get it up and running as an esata drive.

I have one change to make, because I am replacing an existing esata drive. Can I just substitute the existing esata drive at "Step 3.b" for the the internal drive. Then I would use gparted to copy from the old esata to the new esata.

Does that make sense? I don't plan on opening the the receiver at all. Once I've copied the data to the new drive, I would just install it as the new esata drive.

Also I notice that 0.5.1-1 does not work and 0.4.6-1 is the recommended release for gparted. However there are later releases. Is 0.4.6-1 still the recommended release?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#209 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yes, you can.
Just remember - there is no eSATA drive; only eSATA cables/socket. All those drives are SATA drives.

#210 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Yes, you can.
Just remember - there is no eSATA drive; only eSATA cables/socket. All those drives are SATA drives.

Ok, thanks. So the internal drive doesn't look any different to the receiver than the external drive? For instance, could I take my existing external drive and install it internally? I wouldn't do that since it's getting ready to fail, just speaking in theory.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#211 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

yes

#212 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thanks.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#213 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

I'm having problems. I've formatted the new drive in my hr20 and now hooked them up to my computer. New is sata0 and old is sata1. I'm using gparted 0.4.6-1. I boot up my PC and go into gparted and verify the drives are hooked up like I expect.

I double click on the terminal window to get a command line prompt. I enter the two mkdir commands and those appear to work.

I enter the first mount command and it apparently doesn't work. I get a bunch of information which I don't understand. I'm not conversant with linux. Any pointers you can give me?

The command I entered was:
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3/dev/sda2/mnt/fap

There are spaces after the t, xfs, and -o.

When sitting the the command promp line, before entering anything I see:
root@debian:~#

Is that what I should be seeing?

BTW, those first two commands, where were the directories created? I don't see the line specifying where they were.

When I do get to the actual copy process, here's what I expect to enter:
xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

Note there are spaces here. I'm typing as indicated in the thread.

Help!
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#214 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

try again but c&p this:
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap

#215 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

I did not see the space between the two groups of commands. Oh crap. I'll try it out.

Do I have to do the mkdir's again?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#216 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

Those extra spaces fixed that problem. I even noticed there was a space between the /sda2/ and the /mnat/fap on both lines.

The restore went along, but didn't run long. I started getting these messages:
WARNING: could not open regular file ino 112616 mode 0x000081ed: Input/output error:not dumped

And I got a bunch of them, the copy only ran a short time on a 70% full 1TB disk. I just booted up the new HD in the HR20 and it is empty. I have tried booting up the old HD in the HR20 and it is not being recognized.

The old HD was getting flaky and maybe it's gone now.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#217 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

The old drive is in the HR20 now and the receiver said there was a problem and it is going thru scan on it now to see if it can fix it.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#218 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

It's still scanning the drive. 70% done. After that, I wonder if it would do any good to try to copy it again. Should I be using a later version of gparted?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#219 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

Attention all Linux programmers: Please help. Everything was going so good until---- :nono:

I am trying to replace a 1 TB external drive with a 2 TB external drive.

One Linux command was hard for me to read correctly. After error messages I found that xfsdump(sp)-j(sp)-(sp)/mnt etc to work.

I was very careful. I did not reverse the sda & sdb. I hooked the old drive back up to the receiver and everything was there.

The first thing that went different from the script was that I did not get the "Formating storage device. Please wait" screen. After the system came back up the list screen said "no programs available" & 100% available. The external hard drive that I bought was pre-formatted in Fat32.

After the xfsdump command everything was going as scripted. The line said "restoring non-directory files". I was almost there. But then:

>utput error: not dumped
>xfsdump: warding could not open regular file ino 40043 (a bunch of these lines with sequential numbers) mode 0x00008led: input/o
>sfsdump: syssgi( sgi_fs_bulkstark ) on fsroot failed: input/output error
>sfsdump: dumpsize (non-dir files) : 4006829920 bytes
>xfsdump: note: dump interrupted: 133 seconds elapsed: may resume later using -R option
>xfsdump: dump status: interupt
>xfs restore: attempt to read 91648 bytes failed: end of recorded data
>xfs restore: restore complete: 133 seconds elapsed
>xfs restore: restore status: success

After this I booted up into windows and looked at the external 2 TB Toshiba eSATA/USB hard drive with a partitioning program. At the front of the disk there is an 11 GB partition that cannot be addressed, deleted or formatted. It must contain some Toshiba proprietary software for use with windows. I wonder if this could be causing the problem. If so is there a linux command that would reformat the entire drive so that I could have the receiver format it for DirecTV? Or is the only option to trade it in for a different HD?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

I've gone thru this thread and found that this post reflects what happened to me. My question is to what drive are these error messages referring? I had assumed my original esata drive which contains all the programming I want to copy over. Is that correct?

Second, what would happen if I forgot to do the unmount on both drives? I feel so stupid, but I can't remember doing that step?

Third, would I be better off getting the latest gparted? Any chance the problem is related to using 0.4.6-1? I'm thinking not.

I cannot get my HR20 to recognize my old esata drive now.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#220 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

I cannot get my HR20 to recognize my old esata drive now.

I have no clue why the HR20 won't recognize the original drive, since it is hard to screw up the original drive using this procedure. Even trying to copy your blank new drive onto your full old drive won't erase the existing recodings. Are you sure you have the old drive connected and powered up before trying to start the Hr20?
1. Do you have the same Toshiba drive he did? If so, that may be part of the problem. If not, just trying deleting the partitions from the new drive starting over by having the HR20 repartition the drive.
2. Not a big deal if you forgot.
3. 0.4.6-1 is fine, I would even say preferred at this time. See this post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...457#post2585457

Protected By... spam firewall...And...