Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (602 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (417 votes [69.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.27%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (185 votes [30.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

I just tried the copy procedure again and got the same results. When I put the new drive into the HR20, it will recognize my new drive but there are no recorded programs on it, which is to be expected.

My old drive was getting flaky and it may have failed during the procedure, but I kind of doubt it.

BTW, those error messages I listed just above? To which drive is it referring? I'm presuming the old drive, the new drive shouldn't be causing any errors?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I have no clue why the HR20 won't recognize the original drive, since it is hard to screw up the original drive using this procedure. Even trying to copy your blank new drive onto your full old drive won't erase the existing recodings. Are you sure you have the old drive connected and powered up before trying to start the Hr20?
1. Do you have the same Toshiba drive he did? If so, that may be part of the problem. If not, just trying deleting the partitions from the new drive starting over by having the HR20 repartition the drive.
2. Not a big deal if you forgot.
3. 0.4.6-1 is fine, I would even say preferred at this time. See this post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...457#post2585457

1. No, it's a seagate.
2. This last time (when it failed again) I did do the unmount.

I just booted up the receiver with the old (seagate) and it recognized it and the programming is there. This is frustrating that I can't copy the files.

I think tomorrow I will switch the esata cables (which means the new will be b and the old a) just to see if that helps. I noted in the thread some problems were fixed by switching cables.

Since the new drive is recognized by the receiver, and it's empty, wouldn't that mean it's ready for the copy? I've never gotten the superblock error.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#223 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

Since the new drive is recognized by the receiver, and it's empty, wouldn't that mean it's ready for the copy? I've never gotten the superblock error.

Dump errors relate to the old drive. How many seconds have elapsed when it finishes? If it is restoring at all, I wouldn't necessarily suspect the cables. Next time boot the computer with a thumb drive attached, and when the procedure has finished copy the screen output into a text file, then post it here. The superblock error results from not doing a graceful shutdown. You can still get errors (non-fatal) if you try to restore onto a drive where the restore process has been previously aborted. Just delete the partitions on the new drive to make sure you are starting from scratch.

#224 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Dump errors relate to the old drive. How many seconds have elapsed when it finishes? If it is restoring at all, I wouldn't necessarily suspect the cables. Next time boot the computer with a thumb drive attached, and when the procedure has finished copy the screen output into a text file, then post it here. The superblock error results from not doing a graceful shutdown. You can still get errors (non-fatal) if you try to restore onto a drive where the restore process has been previously aborted. Just delete the partitions on the new drive to make sure you are starting from scratch.

I used my iphone to take a pic of the last one, it was 843 seconds and the previous failed copy was close to that.

You are saying to have a usb drive attached when I boot into gparted? Is there a way copy and paste in gparted?

Do I use gparted to delete the partitions. If I remember, there were about 3 of them. After doing that, I'd need to have the HR20 format it again, wouldn't I?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#225 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Please reread the thread. Basic steps covered in first post.

#226 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

I tried another restore this morning. Again it failed. I left the original drive turned off overnight, hoping the rest might help it work long enough to be restored to the new drive, but it didn't work.

I could not figure out how to do a cut and past of the terminal screen. I could not see any way to do it. When I clicked on help, nothing came up. So I took photos with my iphone. I've included them as attachments.

The first photo is of the first restore yesterday. This was followed by many error messages which are the same as the errors I got today and that is the third picture. Note the warning in this one.

The second photo is today's restore and it looks different. It refers to a simple strategy.

The third photo contains the error messages received after today's restore. These are the same kind of errors received for the first restore. The errors start occurring at about the same point. Yesterday it was something like 840 seconds and today it was 945 seconds.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0432[1].jpg
  • IMG_0442[1].jpg
  • IMG_0445[1].jpg

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#227 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

Just for sanity - run fsck for the source drive.

#228 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Should the command go like this?
fsck -sAR -t xfs /dev/sdb2

I don't know linux and did a little googling to arrive at this. Not sure how correct it is? For instance, should that be sdb2 or sdb3?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#229 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I wouldn't use "-sAR" parameters - it's for use /etc/fstab what is not the case. If it will complain about rtdev, then try to add it to the line...

#230 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

I wouldn't use "-sAR" parameters - it's for use /etc/fstab what is not the case. If it will complain about rtdev, then try to add it to the line...

So it would read:
fsck -t xfs /dev/sdb2

Should it be sdb2 or sdb3?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#231 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

I recently upgraded one of my HR20-100s from 750GB to a 1.5TB. Here are a few things I learned in the process.

I started with the current stable gparted live (0.7.0-3). The dump/restore starts ok but then stalls. After a couple of hours I looked at /proc/<pid>/io and it was clear neither xfsdump nor xfsrestore were doing anything. I was able to kill xfsdump (which was good because it allowed me to cleanly dismount my original disk) but not xfsrestore.

I tried one more time but got errors about the incomplete restore so I decided the safest course was to have the HR20-100 format the drive. To do this I used dd to zero out the first part of the disk:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=8K count=512

and then booted the HR20 with the drive connected. (And just to be safe, I removed the original disk before this step.)

It's a pain that you have to wait for the HR20 to boot before you can perform a clean shutdown. A trick I found is that if the DVR is not connected to the satellite it quickly gives an error and then you can use the front panel buttons (menu and arrow keys) to reboot.

As noted, If the disks are different sizes you can use the gparted window to see which one is sda or sdb. But when you have both disks mounted, you can also tell but looking at viewer/messages*. The original disk will have more than one of these and they will contain timestamps spanning multiple days but the new disk will one have one messages file with a short range of timestamps.

One final trick is to mount the original disk read/only:

mount -t xfs -o ro -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

It'll protect you if you get the xfsdump|xfsrestore backwards and the filesystem won't be marked unclean if the system crashes.

Ultimately, I burned a 0.3.7-7 gparted live CD, reinitialized my new disk and was able to complete the copy without errors. I think xfsdump said the backup was about 500GB and it took slightly less than 3 hours for the process to complete.
HR20-100
THR22-100

#232 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

So it would read:
fsck -t xfs /dev/sdb2

Should it be sdb2 or sdb3?

Yes, the partition is sdb2, while sdb3 is real-time extension; I expect it will ask to include the extension somehow.

#233 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

I started with the current stable gparted live (0.7.0-3). The dump/restore starts ok but then stalls.

I tried one more time but got errors about the incomplete restore so I decided the safest course was to have the HR20-100 format the drive. To do this I used dd to zero out the first part of the disk:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=8K count=512

and then booted the HR20 with the drive connected. (And just to be safe, I removed the original disk before this step.)

Are you entering that command in the gparted terminal window? The first thing I did was to attach the new drive as an esata and my HR20 successfully formatted it. Not sure if I need to do it again.

Ultimately, I burned a 0.3.7-7 gparted live CD, reinitialized my new disk and was able to complete the copy without errors. I think xfsdump said the backup was about 500GB and it took slightly less than 3 hours for the process to complete.

Why did you settle on that release of gparted. Others are touting 0.4.6-1, however I'm open to using a differnet version.

Unfortunately, I've not got a problem of the process hanging up, it just encounters errors and is not successful. If you look up a few messages you'll see my latest with attached images.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#234 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yes, the partition is sdb2, while sdb3 is real-time extension; I expect it will ask to include the extension somehow.

I notice thee are 3 partitions on the disk. Only part 2 is known to be xfs file system, while gparted indicates 1 & 3 are unknown. Based on the size, part 3 contains the recorded programs. Gparted only knows how much is used for part 2.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#235 OFFLINE   leres

leres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

Are you entering that command in the gparted terminal window? The first thing I did was to attach the new drive as an esata and my HR20 successfully formatted it. Not sure if I need to do it again.

Yes, in a gparted live terminal window.

(BTW, my post wasn't in reponse to yours; I was posting my own experiences/comments.)

If you start a xfsdump|xfsrestore and it fails to complete, it leaves the "new" xfs filesystem in an incomplete state. I was showing how to use dd to force the DVR put a fresh filsystem on it.

Why did you settle on that release of gparted. Others are touting 0.4.6-1, however I'm open to using a differnet version.

I used 0.3.7-7 because it's the version listed in the instructions; I figured there was a good chance it would work. It would appear 0.7.0-3 is too new.

I'm not really interested in finding the latest version that will work; what I wanted is the version that has the best chances of working...
HR20-100
THR22-100

#236 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

As mentioned before, partition#3 is REAL-TIME EXTENSION, ie not regular separate partition.

#237 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

If you start a xfsdump|xfsrestore and it fails to complete, it leaves the "new" xfs filesystem in an incomplete state. I was showing how to use dd to force the DVR put a fresh filsystem on it.

Even though my process is not completing the way I want, it apparently is completing successfully, it even gives that message. It's encountering errors on the original drive. When I put the new drive as an esata in the HR20 it shows up when get a Play List. Of course it's empty.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#238 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

When I ran the fsck I'm told use xfs_check or xfs_repair. I had already done it, but ran it again.

What I entered was:
xfs_repair -t -L -r /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2

Than I did the restore process and got the same results. I can't think of anything else to try, it would appear my original drive has deteriorated so much it cannot be read accurately.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#239 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

I could not figure out how to do a cut and past of the terminal screen. I could not see any way to do it.

Here's a way to cut and paste:
Boot gparted with a thumb drive attached in addition to the SATA drives. The thumb drive can actually be inserted at any time, but if you insert it before booting, then you can easily see the drive letter within the gparted gui without having to refresh devices in the gui, or typing fdisk -l. Within gparted, leave the window used to do the copying open, and open a second terminal window
In that second window, type:

root@debian:~# mkdir /mnt/usb
root@debian:~# mount /dev/sd?1 /mnt/usb (where ? is the letter of the USB drive)
root@debian:~# nano /mnt/usb/copylog.txt

Highlight text from first terminal window, use middle mouse button to paste within nano.

Press ctrl-o, then enter, then ctrl-x

root@debian:~# umount /mnt/usb

Remove usb drive and view text file on your main computer.

Edited by ntrance, 05 November 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#240 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

When I ran the fsck I'm told use xfs_check or xfs_repair. I had already done it, but ran it again.

What I entered was:
xfs_repair -t -L -r /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2

Than I did the restore process and got the same results. I can't think of anything else to try, it would appear my original drive has deteriorated so much it cannot be read accurately.

That's close to what I expect [-r /dev/sdb3] - is your Gparted distro has the xfs_check ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...