Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (598 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (414 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

well, it's impossible to help if you do not posting critical info ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

there's no reason to be rude. I am asking for help. What info do you need? I am pretty savy with a computer but havnt been able to figure this out.

What info would you like?

#303 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

It didn't work. I let it run for 6 hrs and it never copied over.

I have a 2 tb hard drive from hitachi and the 500 gb one that came from the unit. I have to use sudo to get past the permission issue. So I write my string as follows:

sudo mkdir /mnt/fap
sudo mkdir /mnt/hr20
sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

sudo xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | sudo xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

It starts the dump prep but then stops and says error when it starts to write. I'm using the newest gparted and the thing just will not work. I am so frustrated and really don't know what else todo. I would appreciate any help. I did my tivo about 7 yrs ago and had no problem!

I have an HR 24 that i got in about 5 months

If there is an easier way other than gparted I am willing to give anything a chance.

thanks for your anticipated support.

#304 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

as to errors - reading the thread would tell you DO NOT USE LATEST Gparted !

Edited by P Smith, 29 April 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#305 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Use the much older version of gparted, the newer versions actually don't work...if you do the graceful shutdown of each drive in the dvr, it works flawlessly.

Edited by Tom Robertson, 29 April 2011 - 03:39 PM.
quoted post redacted

#306 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

what version do you suggest

#307 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

what version do you suggest

Hello "the stain". Go back to the beginning and read my OP. There are two recommendations there for 2 different versions of distros that are verified to have worked. I'm too lazy to look or I'd just tell you! :lol:

#308 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Guys ... talk about the problem not each other. Use the REPORT POST button not the forums if there is a problem. And please give us some time to take care of matters. Most of the moderators have lives outside if the forum.

Now ... back to the topic ...

Edited by Tom Robertson, 29 April 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#309 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hello "the stain". Go back to the beginning and read my OP. There are two recommendations there for 2 different versions of distros that are verified to have worked. I'm too lazy to look or I'd just tell you! :lol:

Marty, you did a great job in that first post. So I'm happy to quote the part that worked for me:

a) Get/burn a linux boot cd of GParted Live CD, gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later.
http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

I too was using the latest and greatest which didn't work, until I saw your updates. :)

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#310 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

To answer for http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192599 - nope !
You'll need two channels, will be it SATA/USB or FireWire, but TWO.

#311 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

To answer for http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192599 - nope !
You'll need two channels, will be it SATA/USB or FireWire, but TWO.

Actually he can if he has enough space on the internal drive. Instead of piping between the dump and restore commands, dump to a file and restore from that file.

(Yes that means "two" channels, one to the external disk and one to the internal disk, but his question was about using just one external chassis.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#312 OFFLINE   wnissen

wnissen

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, I thought that would be possible. It seems like if you have a third disk available (say the internal disk on the PC) you could split up the command "xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap" into :

xfsdump -J -f myDumpName /mnt/hr20
[shut down, switch drives, reboot GParted]
xfsrestore -J -f myDumpName /mnt/fap

I am still waiting on the delivery of the new drive, but I will report back when I finish.

Walt

#313 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Actually he can if he has enough space on the internal drive. Instead of piping between the dump and restore commands, dump to a file and restore from that file.

(Yes that means "two" channels, one to the external disk and one to the internal disk, but his question was about using just one external chassis.)

Cheers,
Tom

The approach is falling into a clause of imperative existence of two channels - one for internal drive, second - for DVR's drive.
Plus inconvenience of having big free space (how he can check the requirement will be another burden) and forcing to spend more time for total sequential copy.

It will fall into theoretical exercise then practical solution.

#314 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

I downloaded gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8 and now I'm getting a
Function not implemented

Have any of you guys see this before and know how to fix it?

thanks again for your guys help! I have never struggled like this, i just dont get it for some reason.

Edited by the stain, 29 April 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#315 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

The approach is falling into a clause of imperative existence of two channels - one for internal drive, second - for DVR's drive.
Plus inconvenience of having big free space (how he can check the requirement will be another burden) and forcing to spend more time for total sequential copy.

It will fall into theoretical exercise then practical solution.

Well... perhaps not as practical as having two chassis, but it still works. I managed it once recently. :) (Maybe twice now that I think about it.)

My new laptop still has more than 320GB free on the internal drive so copying an original 320gb drive to internal then back to the new disk works.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#316 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

I downloaded gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8 and now I'm getting a
Function not implemented

Have any of you guys see this before and know how to fix it?

thanks again for your guys help! I have never struggled like this, i just dont get it for some reason.

At what point are you getting that message? It sounds familiar but been a few months since I saw that one.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#317 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

I get the error when i put
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap

#318 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

I get the error when i put
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap

I believe you went too far back, my friend. The error you're getting is probably telling you that XFS is not implemented in this version. My original post states to use 0.3.7-7 or later. :(

#319 OFFLINE   the stain

the stain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:22 AM

Marty I couldn't find the 3.7 version of Gparted. Thanks for trying to help

I found a much more stable linux system with no issues
Used it once with the following commands and had no issues. Took about 5 1/2 hours.

I found Gparted linux way to unstable.

I have included the link to knoppix, instrructions and commands to transfer the data from one dvr hard drive to anther dvr hard drive.

http://www.kernel.or...b/dist/knoppix/ version KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

a) Get/burn a linux boot cd of KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN
B) On the PC, connect the new drive to SATA0 and the original HR20 drive to SATA1 and boot up KNOPPIX linux.
c) You can use qtparted in system menu to verify which drive is which under linux. It is very important that you know the drive letter (a or b or whatever) that linux is assigning to each drive so that you get the sd(drive letter) right in the mount commands below. Normally with the new drive on SATA0 and the original HR20 drive on SATA1 linux will see the new drive as sda and the original HR20 drive as sdb - but you should check it to be sure.
d) Click the Terminal Icon to get a linux command line promp and enter the following commands (note: the part you type is underlined - I used a larger Courier font here to make it easier to see where spaces go).

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ sudo su root
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mkdir /mnt/fap
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mkdir /mnt/hr20
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

(the next line will start the copying process and on my system took about 70 min. to complete)

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

(after the dump/restore has finished enter…)

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# umount /mnt/hr20
root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# umount /mnt/fap

#320 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Marty I couldn't find the 3.7 version of Gparted. Thanks for trying to help

I found a much more stable linux system with no issues
Used it once with the following commands and had no issues. Took about 5 1/2 hours.

I found Gparted linux way to unstable.

gparted-live-0.3.7-7 can be found here:
http://sourceforge.n...table/OldFiles/

gparted is not unstable. Had you used a version between gparted-live-0.3.7-7 and gparted-live-0.4.8-6, it probably would have worked. There is not a known higher version that is working at this time. You succeeded with Knoppix because you used an old version. Had you tried the newest version KNOPPIX_V6.4.4CD-2011-01-30-EN.iso, it would have failed as well. Additionally, xfsdump has been removed from KNOPPIX_V6.4.4CD-2011-01-30-EN.iso, so you would have to install it yourself. The issue is an incompatibility between xfsdump and the newer linux kernels:
http://www.dbstalk.c...7&postcount=288

Update 5/2/2011 - It appears xfsdump works again with kernel 2.6.39 based on some testing with ubuntu. So, I'm guessing versions of gparted that use the 2.6.39 kernel will work, but the latest gparted, 0.8.0-5, uses a 2.6.38 kernel.

Edited by ntrance, 02 May 2011 - 04:31 AM.
Added info about the 2.6.39 linux kernel

spam firewall