Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (607 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (420 votes [69.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.19%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (187 votes [30.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

Are you sure you are using the latest GParted Live CD as mentioned in Step 3 a) above. It should solve the spin-up problems with the original HR2x drives and is the only Linux you need to complete all the steps.

I downloaded the iso for 0.4.1-2. The drive issues a POST error (Primary Hard Drive Failure) and when I resume the machine appears to lock up. I admit to not waiting very long, mostly because it stalls at a screen that says "Wait" that I had not seen before tht takes place before the gparted boot manager appears.

Should I give it another go and just wait longer? Or maybe hot swap the drive in once I am booted up?

ETA: I tried it on the computer it was hooked up to last (the newest) and this one actually did not hang when I resumed and the drive does appear on the system. Thanks for prompting me to give it another whirl.

Edited by LlamaLarry, 29 January 2009 - 07:58 AM.

--Larry
2 HR20-100 * 1 HR21-700 * 1 HR20-700 * 1 HR23-700 * 2 H23-xxx
AU9-SL3/WB616 MS/OTA (CM4228+CM7777)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   dcapone

dcapone

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

So ignoring what has been posted all over the internet, i attempted to use this procedure to copy my recordings from one DVR to another.

The interesting thing that I had noticed and the reason I am posting is that 2of my recordings played successfully on the new DVR.

Both of the recordings that played were under a week old and now 1 month later, they still play without issue. I wonder if someone familiar with the xfs file system may be able to find a way to alter the timestamps on all of the recordings to fall within the previous week of when the copy was initiated and whether this would allow recordings to permanently be copied from one device to other.

#23 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

The interesting thing that I had noticed and the reason I am posting is that 2of my recordings played successfully on the new DVR.

Is it possible that those two recordings were OTA? OTA recordings are not encrypted like the Satellite recordings and play between DVRs.

#24 OFFLINE   dcapone

dcapone

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Nope.

One was Starz, the other HBO.

#25 OFFLINE   mjbehren

mjbehren

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hey all,

I know its been a while since I have been around here; new responsibilities at work have unfortunately limited my time spent here.

But I wanted to say MANY THANKS to marty45714 for this procedure. I have been running an external Seagate 750Gb eSATA for a long time... Apparantly too long, since it started to fail... Black screens, random lockups, corrupt recordings, could all be attributed to the failing HD. I let the 750 rest for a couple days and built a 2Tb external enclosure.

I just used this thread to move all of my recordings over to the new external and everything came over first time! I went from 2% free to 67% free. Thanks much... I had some baseball games that I havent burned off to DVD yet (Detroit Tigers with Ernie Harwell announcing)... Ill be doing that very soon. :) :hurah:

Thanks,
Mb

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hey all,

I know its been a while since I have been around here; new responsibilities at work have unfortunately limited my time spent here.

But I wanted to say MANY THANKS to marty45714 for this procedure. I have been running an external Seagate 750Gb eSATA for a long time... Apparantly too long, since it started to fail... Black screens, random lockups, corrupt recordings, could all be attributed to the failing HD. I let the 750 rest for a couple days and built a 2Tb external enclosure.

I just used this thread to move all of my recordings over to the new external and everything came over first time! I went from 2% free to 67% free. Thanks much... I had some baseball games that I havent burned off to DVD yet (Detroit Tigers with Ernie Harwell announcing)... Ill be doing that very soon. :) :hurah:

Thanks,
Mb

Here is ORIGINAL start post:

Updated 9-21-08: I have been keeping this original post up to date with the optimal instructions as other users post their experiences and report new/better ways of accomplishing this task. Hopefully this will eliminate the need for reading every post in this thread as it continues to grow.

I received Earl's permission to post this, but with the following prerequisites:

Please take the poll above to show that you are aware of the risks of opening your DVR. Please DO NOT DISCUSS extracting programs from the DVR in this forum. This will NOT be tolerated by the moderators! Okay, here we go!!!

Thank you's: I did not come up with this process entirely on my own. My desire to do it was based on the fact that I did it in the past to my DirecTivos and I wanted to see if I could do it again. Many thanks to 'P Smith' and 'llowery' who posted the original messages that gave me the knowledge to get started when working with the filesystems. It took a few private messages back and forth from them until I was able to complete this process.

FYI- I have successfully performed this upgrade on 2 HR20-700's, so this is NOT theory or speculation. It actually works, and I maintained all settings and content from before, plus gained extra space.

First, why did I want to do this?

1) I don't want an external hard drive box on top of or beside my HR-20 making more noise and using more power.

2) I want to retain all of my settings, recording lists, and current recorded shows.

3) The same reason a dogs licks... Well you get the idea, I wanted to do it as a challenge.

Second, What do I need to do this?

1) A T10 Torx screwdriver. My regular T10 worked for me. Another contributor to this thread notes:

The screws holding the cover on my HR20 are security Torx screws so a normal driver will not work. (Driver needs a hole drilled in the tip on the long axis which will fit over the post inside the screw hole.) One source for such a driver is:
http://www.partsexpr....number=360-097

2) A Phillips screwdriver.

3) A computer with SATA interface.

4) Proper software for the computer. You could possibly do this completely with Linux. I didn't. I used Ghost, MBR Tool and Tiny Hexer.

5) A SATA internal hard drive. I used a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar.

6) A pair of snips.

7) Possibly a pair of pliers depending on your unit.

Lastly, let's get to it!

1) Take out the 5 T10 Torx screws from the back of the unit.

2) Note that you are breaking a seal that violates the warranty when you remove the cover.

3) Slide the cover towards the back of the unit and it will come unlatched, then you can remove it.

4) Remove the SATA connector, Power connector and Fan Power connector from the internal hard drive.

5) Find the 2 plastic fasteners that attach the drive mount to the frame. Place your Torx screwdriver in the center of them and push the plastic pin downward. This will release them and they can be removed.

6) Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the ground wire. You can't remove the Torx side unless you have some type of tamper-proof driver, as far as I can tell.

7) Now is the hardest part. I have done this on 2 different HR20's and they were both different. You have to remove the 2 screws holding the drive mount to the front of the unit. On one of mine, their were nuts holding them, so I just removed the nuts with a pair of pliers. That was fairly easy and I didn't have to remove the front panel. On my other unit, they were screwed in from the front, so you have to remove the front panel and unscrew them with your Torx screwdriver. It takes some patience and coodination to remove the front panel. Good luck!

8) You have to snip the tie wrap on the fan power connector in order to remove the hard drive.

9) Remove the hard drive mount (and hard drive) from the unit.

10) You need to install the new drive into the HR20 temporarily and power it up. Let the HR20 format the drive and then shut it back down. This is important because you have to write down the partition information from the new drive.

11) Now is the fun part. Hook your new drive and current internal drive up to a computer with a SATA interface.

Update 9/21/08
This process has evolved since the inception of this thread and continues to get less complex. Beginning with the 0.3.7-7 release of the Gparted Live Linux distribution, all of the data copying can now be accomplished using bootable Gparted Live media.

The original steps 12-20 have been deleted to give the details of the new/correct procedure. Thanks go to daniellee and ntrance for providing this process through trial and error. To complete this process you need to burn and use the GParted Live CD, gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later. The version of the CD is important because some models of DVR drives power up in standby mode and therefore must be given the "spin up" command by Linux. This command only occurs using GParted Live versions 0.3.7-7 and later.

Step 1 – Let the HR20 format the new ESATA drive.

a) Shut down the HR20

B) Connect the ESATA drive & turn it on.

c) Restart the HR20

d) Confirm that the HR20 is now using the ESATA drive instead of the internal drive.

Step 2 - Perform a “graceful power down”

a) This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step – the linux mount commands will fail with a “Can’t read from Superblock” error if this step isn’t taken. It is imperative that both drives experience a “graceful power down” while connected to the HR20.

B) After the HR20 is powered off, turn off the ESATA drive and remove the bare drive from the ESATA enclosure.

Step 3 – Connect the drives to the PC & copy.

a) Get/burn a linux boot cd of GParted Live CD, gparted-live-0.3.7-7 or later.

http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php

B) On the PC, connect the new drive to SATA0 and the original HR20 drive to SATA1 and boot up GParted Live CD.

c) You can use qtparted in system menu to verify which drive is which under linux. It is very important that you know the drive letter (a or b or whatever) that linux is assigning to each drive so that you get the sd(drive letter) right in the mount commands below. Normally with the new drive on SATA0 and the original HR20 drive on SATA1 linux will see the new drive as sda and the original HR20 drive as sdb - but you should check it to be sure.

d) Get a linux command line prompt and enter the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

(The next line will start the copying process and on my system took about 70 minutes to complete.)

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

(After the dump/restore has finished enter

umount /mnt/hr20
umount /mnt/fap

Step 4 – Check it out

a) Shut down GParted Live CD and remove power from the PC

B) Return the new SATA drive to the ESATA enclosure and reconnect the original HR20’s HD power & SATA cables.

c) Close up everything, reconnect everything, turn on the ESATA drive and power-up the HR20.

Step 5 – Enjoy More DirecTV HDTV

Update 12/3/2007:

Thanks to Rodhead who posted the process for replacing the drive in the HR20-100.
Here is the process:

Replacing the stock hard-drive in a HR20 model 100 is incredibly easy!

I got two new HR20-100s last week, free from DirecTV. I bought a 1TB Western Digital SATA drive and decided to upgrade one DVR as a trial.

Some notes about previous postings:

a. there is no security tag of any kind on the back.

b. the original drive was set to 300 MB/s transfer rate so there's no need to drop down to 150.

Only Torx T10 and T15 screwdrivers are needed.

Here's the procedure:

1. Remove five screws form the back and slide the cover back a bit, up at the back and then away.

2. The drive is mounted in a black plastic holder. The holder is attached to the box on the front side. A separate black plastic bracket clamps the holder down on the rear side. A fan on the underside of the holder vents out the box througn slots in the bottom.

3. Unplug the fan cable from the motherboard. Unplug the SATA and power cables from the drive.

4. Unscrew seven screws and remove the drive holder and bracket.

5. Flip the holder over and detach the drive from the holder by unscrewing four screws. On one side they are clearly visible. On the other side, they must be acecssed through the fan blades.

6. Pop in the new drive and reattach with screws.

7. Put the holder back in the box and reattach the bracket.

8. Plug in the fan cable, power and SATA cables.

9. Close the box.

You're done. Total time, 15 minutes at the most. Obviously, if you want to preserve drive contents you'll have to copy partitions as described earlier.

If you see errors, problems, issues, etc. with this process, please message me and I will edit and make changes. I am also interested in hearing any alternate ways of doing this, or any ways that are easier or will save time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by marty45714; 09-21-08 at 06:34 PM..

#27 OFFLINE   trentmh

trentmh

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

I'm trying to copy the contents from my HR20 drive to my new WD 1TB drive and I have followed the instructions to a 'T' and I still can't get either drive to get past the "can't read superblock" error. I've let them both boot in the receiver and then I'm going into menu, then reset, then restart receiver and once the blue LED's go off, I'm immediatly pulling the power plug. What am I doing wrong here?

#28 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

I'm trying to copy the contents from my HR20 drive to my new WD 1TB drive and I have followed the instructions to a 'T' and I still can't get either drive to get past the "can't read superblock" error. I've let them both boot in the receiver and then I'm going into menu, then reset, then restart receiver and once the blue LED's go off, I'm immediatly pulling the power plug. What am I doing wrong here?

I would suggest restarting the dvr with the drive with the superblock error attached, and performing another graceful shutdown. If you've already done it a couple times, and there is no point in trying again, then try:
xfs_check /dev/sd?2 (where ? is the letter of the drive with the error)
Post the results of that here, and see if anyone can help identify the problem. If you rather proceed immediately, you can delete the log file using the following command:
xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2
A couple people including me have had success with that command.

#29 OFFLINE   RandCfilm

RandCfilm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

After the blue LED's go out. Listen for the drive to power down and stop, then pull the plug.
(2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
(1) HR10-250 800GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.3f
(3) HR21-100
...(1) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
...(1) with AM21 & internal 1TB Seagate
...(1) Stock
RandCfilm

#30 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

hi:

I have a question about the gparted procedure. I m trying to copy the orig. 320gb hd from an hr21 to a new 1.5tb hd. I had to do graceful power downs on both drives (1 after the other, both are internal).

i am now doing the gparted procedure. I originally was getting the superblock error before the graceful power downs. now the mounting procedure went smoothly. my question is the procedure: xfsdump -j - /mnt/hr20 (followed by a vertical line) xfsrestore -j - /mnt/fap. are those 2 separate commands? i am doing the xfsdump command and my screen is full of white lines of code flowing fast up the screen. my speaker is also constantly beeping. am i doing this correctly? if so is the xfsrestore command next and what may I encounter with that command on my screen?

sorry never used gparted before and that command line is misleading in the instructions..
regards

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

I would read _before_ try such procedure. ;)
See this http://en.wikipedia..../Pipeline_(Unix)

#32 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

the link to the wikipedia unix article doesn't say anything...was that for me?

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Yes. I think you should read it before run that line.

Actually, isn't that set of characters what you broke been posted as ONE line ? You must obey original syntax.

#34 OFFLINE   kenva

kenva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

hi:

I have a question about the gparted procedure. I m trying to copy the orig. 320gb hd from an hr21 to a new 1.5tb hd. I had to do graceful power downs on both drives (1 after the other, both are internal).

i am now doing the gparted procedure. I originally was getting the superblock error before the graceful power downs. now the mounting procedure went smoothly. my question is the procedure: xfsdump -j - /mnt/hr20 (followed by a vertical line) xfsrestore -j - /mnt/fap. are those 2 separate commands? i am doing the xfsdump command and my screen is full of white lines of code flowing fast up the screen. my speaker is also constantly beeping. am i doing this correctly? if so is the xfsrestore command next and what may I encounter with that command on my screen?

sorry never used gparted before and that command line is misleading in the instructions..
regards

The output of the first command is pipped to the input of the second command by what you call a vertical line. In UNIX it is called a pipe. If you are not piping the output to the second command then it will be dumped to standard output or to your terminal.

#35 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

ok but how do you type a vertical line...sorry about the newbie questions...

Edited by pennsylvaniaRON, 16 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   RandCfilm

RandCfilm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

use shift of the back slash \ key, above the enter key
(2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
(1) HR10-250 800GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.3f
(3) HR21-100
...(1) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
...(1) with AM21 & internal 1TB Seagate
...(1) Stock
RandCfilm

#37 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

Pipe, |, is the character above the backslash, \. (Oops, RandCfilm beat me to it) Just add a ) to end of P Smith's link above to read it.

#38 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

use shift of the back slash \ key, above the enter key

gentleman start your engines. thank you. sorry about that. now i remember that symbol from my DOS days...hence|more...
ok the dump/restore procedure has started. 464 directories. hope this is doing it correctly. thanks to both you and ntrance for all the help...
regards...

#39 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

hi:

With the help of 2 members to straighten me out on the gparted procedure syntax I am happy to report that the copy went flawlessly. My hr21 originally had a 320GB hd with 12% remaining. After the copy to a 1.5TB wd15eads HD I now have 87% remaining. I have only tested the system for about 15 minutes so far but all the saved stuff played perfectly.

I am hoping all stays well in the weeks to follow...thx much!
Regards...

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

When you'll load it up to 80-90% come back and post results.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...