Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (615 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (427 votes [69.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.43%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (188 votes [30.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#501 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I recall someone else did that recently ... if you have same big drive, make backup to it before you'll do another 'test' ;)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#502 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Has anybody tried doing this since 2009 when ntrance did this small test?
I want to combine 2 drives into one. Are there any issues that arise when doing this? thanks

In addition to my original test, I believe some of the investigation done by cigar95 indicates that you should have no problems combining drives. See:
http://www.dbstalk.c...486#post2865486
and:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195743
But as P Smith says, a backup is probably a good idea if you have the extra disk. You can copy each of your old drives onto your new drive one at a time. That way you have your original drives as backups. Or you could just backup one of your old drives before copying the second old drive onto it. It all depends on the sizes of your drives as to which approach is best.

#503 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

In addition to my original test, I believe some of the investigation done by cigar95 indicates that you should have no problems combining drives. See:
http://www.dbstalk.c...486#post2865486
and:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195743
But as P Smith says, a backup is probably a good idea if you have the extra disk. You can copy each of your old drives onto your new drive one at a time. That way you have your original drives as backups. Or you could just backup one of your old drives before copying the second old drive onto it. It all depends on the sizes of your drives as to which approach is best.

During the dump/restore process does it overwrite files that are duplicates or skip them and only copy files that are different?
thanks

#504 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

It would be hard to imagine if you have duplicate names ... have you seen these names ? It's include ch#, time, date, some other info - very long file names.

#505 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

It would be hard to imagine if you have duplicate names ... have you seen these names ? It's include ch#, time, date, some other info - very long file names.

Yes they are dupes. Identical recordings.
I'm going to use this method to combine recordings from two drives onto one.
One of the drives was a previously copied drive. So dupes are present.
It was out of curiosity that I asked about over writing the files or skipping the dupes. It will help me determine how long it will take also..

#506 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

I confirmed that this will work (at least in my simple test). I connected a 750GB Western Digital drive to an HR21-100, booted, and recorded a program on it. I then rebooted with a 750GB Free Agent Pro and recorded a program on it. I used the xfsdump/xfsrestore procedure to copy the WD contents to the FAP. When I rebooted with the FAP, both programs were listed and playable. I then used the procedure to copy the combined contents from the FAP back to the WD. When I rebooted with the WD each program was listed only once, and they were both playable. If anyone tries this with many programs recorded on both drives please report back.

I Dont know Linux. What and wer did you change the command lines in the first post in this thread ? I am going to try and merge a loaded 500 gig to a partially loaded 2 Tera. Using Gparted 0461

#507 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I Dont know Linux. What and wer did you change the command lines in the first post in this thread ? I am going to try and merge a loaded 500 gig to a partially loaded 2 Tera. Using Gparted 0461

You don't need to change the commands at all. Your 2tb drive is simply taking the place of the empty drive.

#508 OFFLINE   funkadelic

funkadelic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

does anyone know if this process will work going from a hard drive from an HR21 to an HR34?

The drive on my HR21 was upgraded to a 1TB years back and I'm about to get an HR34 -- it would be nice if I could copy the contents off the HR21's drive to the HR34.

#509 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

One more time: RECORDINGS DOES ENCRYPTED by UNIQUE KEY for EACH DVR !

#510 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

does anyone know if this process will work going from a hard drive from an HR21 to an HR34?

The drive on my HR21 was upgraded to a 1TB years back and I'm about to get an HR34 -- it would be nice if I could copy the contents off the HR21's drive to the HR34.

Sorry, Recordings can only be copied from drive to drive to be used with the same DVR. Due to the encryption P Smith described.

#511 OFFLINE   funkadelic

funkadelic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

ah darn. thanks for the responses P Smith & mocarob.

#512 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

I haven't made it through this whole thread, but just wanted to share my recent experience in case it is helpful to anyone.

I was using a 2TB external drive (WD20EADS) in an Antec MX-1 enclosure connected to an HR24. It worked well for quite a while, but starting developing inexplicable glitches, picture breakups, and momentary freezes and skips. Hard drive diagnostics on the DVR didn't show any problems, but I suspect that the hard drive was starting to have some issues. So, I wanted to copy the drive to a new drive.

I bought a new WD20EURS drive and a Sabrent USB/eSATA enclosure from Amazon. The drive worked fine. The enclosure did not. The HR24 never recognized the enclosure and experience connecting to computers with eSATA was mixed. Once I figured out the enclosure was a problem, I was able to work around it using the older Antec enclosure. BTW, this Sabrent enclosure looks externally the same as the Rosewill and Weaknees enclosures that are reported to work. :confused::confused:

I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread using GPartEd Live 0.4.8.6. I connected both old and new drives in enclosures to a laptop using USB. (I didn't have two eSATA connections on a computer and didn't want to take a computer apart to hook the drives up internally.)

The process worked just fine using USB. I suspect it was substantially slower with USB than it would have been using eSATA. Copying a full 2TB drive took about 33 hours. As the two drives were different models, I had no trouble figuring out which drive letter was which by looking at the drive info GPartEd displays.

To sum up, here's the key info:

GPartEd 0.4.8.6 worked
USB connections worked to copy, albeit slowly
The Sabrent enclosure did not work - had trouble using its eSATA both with the HR24 and with PCs

#513 OFFLINE   gmc9512

gmc9512

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Sorry if I've missed any posts related to this but I have a 2tb WD20EADS with several recordings that just came out of a HR20-700 which had a bad tuner. The hard drive is good and I want to install it in a new owned HR24-500. Can I just put it in the HR24 and it will reformat the drive and go from there or do I have to wipe the drive first?
HR24-500 Networked To Toshiba 50'' Projection
HR20-700 networked To Sony KDL- 55HX800
HR24-500 networked To Sony KDL-55HX800
HR20-700 To Sharp 42" Lcd

All are hard wired to linksys router.
Windstream DSL 6 Mbps Down, 1 Mbps Up

Dell XPS M1530

Iphone 4 verizon

#514 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

Should wipe out or you will have all your old recording unusable and taking its space for nothing. Just wipe first sector - MBR by any program include Win Drive Mgr.

#515 OFFLINE   gmc9512

gmc9512

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Should wipe out or you will have all your old recording unusable and taking its space for nothing. Just wipe first sector - MBR by any program include Win Drive Mgr.

Great, thanks for the quick reply!
HR24-500 Networked To Toshiba 50'' Projection
HR20-700 networked To Sony KDL- 55HX800
HR24-500 networked To Sony KDL-55HX800
HR20-700 To Sharp 42" Lcd

All are hard wired to linksys router.
Windstream DSL 6 Mbps Down, 1 Mbps Up

Dell XPS M1530

Iphone 4 verizon

#516 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Has anyone install a larger drive in a HR34 ?

#517 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yes, search & see a few posts/threads where ppl reported about 3 and 4 TB drives.

#518 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Doesnt it already have a a 2TB drive in it? If so, thats the largest that D* dvr's support currently.

#519 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Doesnt it already have a a 2TB drive in it? If so, thats the largest that D* dvr's support currently.

It comes with 1 tb, didnt know if anyone tore one apart to install a 2 tb. I dont want to plug in a ext drive. I havent read anywhere that anyone has done a 3 or 4 tb

#520 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

When you use the method in the first post, does it erase thew original drive, or is that drive still good as well and could in theory be put back in at some point and you'd have all your recordings from there as well?

#521 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

It does not erase the original drive, the drive was in the same state as before you removed it, I'm not sure of the last part of your question as I can't attest to it.

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#522 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yes they are dupes. Identical recordings.
I'm going to use this method to combine recordings from two drives onto one.
One of the drives was a previously copied drive. So dupes are present.
It was out of curiosity that I asked about over writing the files or skipping the dupes. It will help me determine how long it will take also..

Does anyone have an opinion on this question?
If identical files are present on both drives are they overwritten or skipped?
I will be copying my drive tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks.

#523 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on this question?
If identical files are present on both drives are they overwritten or skipped?
I will be copying my drive tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks.

Personally, sounds risky to me. I don't know what the database for the recordings would do. I would erase anything that was a dupe, but even then, I'm not sure if what your trying to do will workout. Do have a third drive you can move all this stuff to so you can be sure you won't lose anything since your copying, not moving?

#524 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Personally, sounds risky to me. I don't know what the database for the recordings would do. I would erase anything that was a dupe, but even then, I'm not sure if what your trying to do will workout. Do have a third drive you can move all this stuff to so you can be sure you won't lose anything since your copying, not moving?

Yeah, This didn't work for me..
I was trying to combine an old 1tb drive with even an older 750gb drive onto a new 2tb. Both older drives had some of the same recordings since I had done a copy once before.

I'm still sorting through the results but a lot of the duplicate programs are corrupt and even some of the programs that were new on the 2tb drive were corrupted. When selected to play, Some of the copied videos would immediately give you the 'delete' option but after selecting 'no' it would play from the beginning. Very messy.

This may sound convoluted but I think I'll have to delete all the copied videos from the 2tb (leave the new ones) and just stick to copying one drive to the 2tb.. Any advice? Anyone?

#525 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Nope. We are just reading your reports ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...