Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (600 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (416 votes [69.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.33%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#481 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Did you copy anything to them or start fresh, I dont know if the 4k thing would affect the copying process.

It does not. I've actually done it both ways, as a fresh drive without bringing over existing recordings, other drive had a no warning catastrophic failure that meant no data was coming over, and as the new drive in a "move the recordings to a new larger drive" scenario as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks

#483 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Did an overnight copy of a 70% full WD20EVDS drive that was having read errors to a new WD20EURS drive. Took 8 hours to complete, put it in the HR24 and only had about 15 minutes to test it but everything I tried played ok, much better than the failing drive did. Also retained all settings, series, and guide.

Worked great, thanks for the thread/help guys.

#484 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Did you check your old drive's health ? At least get and post SMART data ...

Edited by P Smith, 18 January 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#485 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

It was skipping and pausing upwards of 5 seconds, ran the short test in the diagnostic menu on bootup and it failed reason 07. Pulled drive and put it in my computer, ran the Western Digital test software, SMART passed but the short test failed with a read error, code was something with a 7 like the HR24 said.

At that point I just stopped and ordered the warranty replacement drive from WD. Everything copied ok and I have not found anything that doesn't play back alright, but I've only watched a couple hours off the drive.

If something ends up with too many skips to be watchable I'll just delete it, but it is nice not to be starting over, series links, recordings (over a year worth) and stuff.

#486 OFFLINE   elevans

elevans

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I just copied and replaced the drive in my hr24-500 with a WD 750GB drive I had laying around. I used a different procedure than the one recommended in this thread; however, the dvr appears to be working normally after running it overnight.

The problem I'm having is that I don't "see" the extra space yet. Is this normal? When I look at the list, it still tells me that there is 8% remaining, yet I know that this drive is 50% bigger. Any suggestions?

#487 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just copied and replaced the drive in my hr24-500 with a WD 750GB drive I had laying around. I used a different procedure than the one recommended in this thread; however, the dvr appears to be working normally after running it overnight.

The problem I'm having is that I don't "see" the extra space yet. Is this normal? When I look at the list, it still tells me that there is 8% remaining, yet I know that this drive is 50% bigger. Any suggestions?

Use that procedure what been described initially.

#488 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I guess it would help if you told us the method you did use if you didnt use the recommended one. You may not have used the method described here exactly, but if you didnt do something very similar, something is probably amiss. Your free space should have gone from the 8% to say about 25% or so...just a very rough ballpark figure.

#489 OFFLINE   elevans

elevans

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I guess it would help if you told us the method you did use if you didnt use the recommended one. You may not have used the method described here exactly, but if you didnt do something very similar, something is probably amiss. Your free space should have gone from the 8% to say about 25% or so...just a very rough ballpark figure.

I cloned the original drive using Acronis True Image software. This software makes an exact sector by sector and partition by partition copy of the source drive onto a formatted target drive. I already had a free version of this software installed on my computer and I've used this method successfully in the past to copy other drives with linux based file systems.

I didn't follow the instruction in this thread because I didn't find this thread until after I copied the drive. After 24 hours, the drive is functioning normally, its just not utilizing the unallocated space.

I'll try redoing the copy using the suggested method, when I have time.

Edited by elevans, 14 February 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#490 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

So, to avoid such issue in a future, here is friendly advice:
- if you have a deal with tainted Linux (all proprietary DVRs has it) - be sure you did read Internet for all caveats.

#491 OFFLINE   elevans

elevans

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

So, to avoid such issue in a future, here is friendly advice:
- if you have a deal with tainted Linux (all proprietary DVRs has it) - be sure you did read Internet for all caveats.

Thanks.

#492 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I cloned the original drive using Acronis True Image software. This software makes an exact sector by sector and partition by partition copy of the source drive onto a formatted target drive. I already had a free version of this software installed on my computer and I've used this method successfully in the past to copy other drives with linux based file systems.

I didn't follow the instruction in this thread because I didn't find this thread until after I copied the drive. After 24 hours, the drive is functioning normally, its just not utilizing the unallocated space.

I'll try redoing the copy using the suggested method, when I have time.

I initially tried using Acronis and ran into the same problems as you did. I used the procedures identified in this thread and summarized them in the Acronis forum. http://forum.acronis...6#comment-65984

#493 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Since Acronis [TI] doesn't support the process, it would wise to left an URL on that site to the original thread and skip re-posting only small part of the thread.

#494 OFFLINE   jhutchins

jhutchins

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I tried this under Debian Lenny, which has version 2.2.48-1 of xfsdump. After some time I checked iostats and saw no I/O for either drive. xfsrestore hung so badly I had to power off the computer to kill it. On examining the target 2T drive it appeared to have the same amount of space available as the 360G drive did.

I will be trying again using the -p parameter on xfsrestore, and possibly trying it on xfsdump as well.

It would be very helpful to know which versions of xfsdump/xfsrestore have problems rather than simply referring to the version of the gparted live CD.

#495 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

It would be very helpful to know which versions of xfsdump/xfsrestore have problems rather than simply referring to the version of the gparted live CD.

If you'll take that recommended version of Gparted you'll see xfsdump/restore version(s).

#496 OFFLINE   jhutchins

jhutchins

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Ok, I tried the procedure again - deleted all partitions, swapped drives, did a clean shutdown. When I mounted the new 2T drive (mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/new), df -h shows that the partition only has 15G on it. This is showing the space on /dev/sda2, but /dev/sda3 is the really big one.

I guess this is the reason you must use xfsdump instead of rsync? I wish I could find someone who knows about xfs, but most of the threads I've found lead back to here.

I guess I'll try xfsdump|xfsrestore again when I can make some downtime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On my HR21/100, the front screws for the drive carrier are accessible without removing the faceplate. They and the cover screws are secure Torx 10's, the drive mounting screws are standard Torx 15's.

#497 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I posted that information here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...7&postcount=288
I haven't updated it in a while, but per my last entry it looks like they got xfsdump working again with newer kernel versions. I don't know if that is still the case. If you want to add a data point, I'll update the table.

#498 OFFLINE   jhutchins

jhutchins

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I was using xfsdump 2.2.48-1 on a 2.6.32 kernel (Debian Lenny with backported kernel). I will try booting to the .26 kernel and see if that works, otherwise I'll find a live CD with a working combination.

#499 OFFLINE   jhutchins

jhutchins

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I did the procedure again, booting to the original 2.6.26 kernel of Debian Lenny and using -p 60 on the xfsrestore command. The drive was well over 80% full and I left it running for about three hours. Came back to find it finished, and once the DVR booted I had 89% free! (New drive is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda.) New recordings work, old recordings work. The only test remaining is to see if I hit any barrier when I exceed the capacity of the old drive, and I have a good feeling that will pass as well.

Thanks again for the original posting, and to those who have maintained the discussion!

It does look like the Linux 2.6.32 through 2.6.38 kernels just don't like XFS.

#500 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I confirmed that this will work (at least in my simple test). I connected a 750GB Western Digital drive to an HR21-100, booted, and recorded a program on it. I then rebooted with a 750GB Free Agent Pro and recorded a program on it. I used the xfsdump/xfsrestore procedure to copy the WD contents to the FAP. When I rebooted with the FAP, both programs were listed and playable. I then used the procedure to copy the combined contents from the FAP back to the WD. When I rebooted with the WD each program was listed only once, and they were both playable. If anyone tries this with many programs recorded on both drives please report back.

Has anybody tried doing this since 2009 when ntrance did this small test?
I want to combine 2 drives into one. Are there any issues that arise when doing this? thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...