Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (592 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (411 votes [69.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.43%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (181 votes [30.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#521 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

It does not erase the original drive, the drive was in the same state as before you removed it, I'm not sure of the last part of your question as I can't attest to it.
2- HR24-500 with AM21 OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21 OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Antennas Direct C4 ClearStream 4
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yes they are dupes. Identical recordings.
I'm going to use this method to combine recordings from two drives onto one.
One of the drives was a previously copied drive. So dupes are present.
It was out of curiosity that I asked about over writing the files or skipping the dupes. It will help me determine how long it will take also..

Does anyone have an opinion on this question?
If identical files are present on both drives are they overwritten or skipped?
I will be copying my drive tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks.

#523 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on this question?
If identical files are present on both drives are they overwritten or skipped?
I will be copying my drive tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks.

Personally, sounds risky to me. I don't know what the database for the recordings would do. I would erase anything that was a dupe, but even then, I'm not sure if what your trying to do will workout. Do have a third drive you can move all this stuff to so you can be sure you won't lose anything since your copying, not moving?

#524 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Personally, sounds risky to me. I don't know what the database for the recordings would do. I would erase anything that was a dupe, but even then, I'm not sure if what your trying to do will workout. Do have a third drive you can move all this stuff to so you can be sure you won't lose anything since your copying, not moving?

Yeah, This didn't work for me..
I was trying to combine an old 1tb drive with even an older 750gb drive onto a new 2tb. Both older drives had some of the same recordings since I had done a copy once before.

I'm still sorting through the results but a lot of the duplicate programs are corrupt and even some of the programs that were new on the 2tb drive were corrupted. When selected to play, Some of the copied videos would immediately give you the 'delete' option but after selecting 'no' it would play from the beginning. Very messy.

This may sound convoluted but I think I'll have to delete all the copied videos from the 2tb (leave the new ones) and just stick to copying one drive to the 2tb.. Any advice? Anyone?

#525 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Nope. We are just reading your reports ...

#526 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, This didn't work for me..
I was trying to combine an old 1tb drive with even an older 750gb drive onto a new 2tb. Both older drives had some of the same recordings since I had done a copy once before.

I'm still sorting through the results but a lot of the duplicate programs are corrupt and even some of the programs that were new on the 2tb drive were corrupted. When selected to play, Some of the copied videos would immediately give you the 'delete' option but after selecting 'no' it would play from the beginning. Very messy.

This may sound convoluted but I think I'll have to delete all the copied videos from the 2tb (leave the new ones) and just stick to copying one drive to the 2tb.. Any advice? Anyone?

If you really want to try something, and have the time, here is what I would do. I'd fire up both drives independently, and get rid of all duplicate recordings. I'd try and make one have as many recordings as possible, and leave one with as few recordings as possible. Then I'd copy whichever one had the most shows left to the 2tb drive. Then, there is a thread here abut how to copy individual recordings one at a time. You could then try that method to get the rest of the shows from the remaining drive to the new one. If you do that, I'd just move one over and then test to see if it worked, before i moved all of them individually.

Just something you can try if you have time to kill. :)

#527 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Nope. We are just reading your reports ...

I even tried the trick of letting the dvr initialize a separate blank drive to copy just the system files to the 2tb. It didn't fix anything.

Furthermore, I don't see how Ntrance's theory of copying to combine recordings works. I also recorded SNL last night on the 'system file' drive and copied that over to the 2tb. It was also corrupted.

#528 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

If you really want to try something, and have the time, here is what I would do. I'd fire up both drives independently, and get rid of all duplicate recordings. I'd try and make one have as many recordings as possible, and leave one with as few recordings as possible. Then I'd copy whichever one had the most shows left to the 2tb drive. Then, there is a thread here abut how to copy individual recordings one at a time. You could then try that method to get the rest of the shows from the remaining drive to the new one. If you do that, I'd just move one over and then test to see if it worked, before i moved all of them individually.
Just something you can try if you have time to kill. :)

Yeah, Cigar's method looks too complex. I wanted to stay away from that..

#529 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

Ok, a couple questions and a couple notes...

Question 1... In the instructions for the command lines, I see fap and hr20. Are those just variables that you create to do this, or does the hr20 have to be whatever dvr you are using, so if your doing an hr24 you need to make the hr20 hr24 in the command lines? I just used this method on a hr20, so I didn't worry about asking beore I did it...

Question 2... Is there any reason this wouldn't work going from a single hard drive to a raid enclosure, or from one raid enclosure to another?

And one note, I did something a little unusual, I went from a 2tb drive to a 750 gig drive and it worked just fine going to the smaller drive.

Thanks to those who figured out how to do all this and posted it. Very very nice!

#530 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

If you really want to try something, and have the time, here is what I would do. I'd fire up both drives independently, and get rid of all duplicate recordings. I'd try and make one have as many recordings as possible, and leave one with as few recordings as possible. Then I'd copy whichever one had the most shows left to the 2tb drive.

Well I tried this method too. I deleted everything off the new 2tb except a few new tv shows. Then I tried copying again. (no duplicate files)
Almost everything that copied over was corrupt. The original files/drive play perfectly when connected to the dvr. Some start playing in the middle. Others play for awhile then jump back to the beginning.

I don't know what the issue is. Using gparted the file dump/restore always finishes with a 'success'. Any ideas?

#531 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Need more lengthily tests ... it's time and source constrain ...

#532 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well I tried this method too. I deleted everything off the new 2tb except a few new tv shows. Then I tried copying again. (no duplicate files)
Almost everything that copied over was corrupt. The original files/drive play perfectly when connected to the dvr. Some start playing in the middle. Others play for awhile then jump back to the beginning.

I don't know what the issue is. Using gparted the file dump/restore always finishes with a 'success'. Any ideas?

Then if I where you, I'd pop in the drvie with the least amount left on days when you have nothing set to record that you will need to keep beyond that day, and then watch the few recordings that are left on that drvie till they where gone, and then call it a day and go to the other drive the rest of the time.

By the way, I am assuming you completely wiped out the new drive before you tried coping everything from both drives to the new drive again..

#533 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi--

I'm trying to use xfsdump under Ubuntu 12.10 to copy all the files from my home DVR to a bigger hard drive.

These are the instructions, with the old drive being sdb and the new drive being sda

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/fap

and finally:

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

At this point, I'm getting this output:

xfsdump: WARNING: write to stdio failed: 32 (Broken pipe)
xfsdump: ending media file
xfsdump: media file size 18874368 bytes
xfsdump: dump size (non-dir files) : 13698056 bytes
xfsdump: NOTE: dump interrupted: 16 seconds elapsed
xfsdump: Dump Status: INTERRUPT

I've tried this several times, but now I'm getting to add -R, not saying to where, but even when I do add it to the xfsdump part of the command, it keeps saying broken pipe.

I saw in the first post that there are issues with xfsrestore. Might this be one of them?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

#534 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yes, see previous posts here for last year;
not all [latest] versions of XFStool do works for the process...

#535 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Wow, that's great. Thank you :)

Can you maybe direct me to a solution? This thread has gotten a bit long.

#536 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Just a few last pages :)

#537 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Wow, that's great. Thank you :)

Can you maybe direct me to a solution? This thread has gotten a bit long.

I used the exact version from the first page and it works just fine. I see no need to use the latest versions if the old one works perfect.

#538 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am trying to copy a working disk from an HR21 to a 2TB WD20EURS drive. The HR21 can initialize the drive just fine, but no matter how carefully I time things on the shutdown, when I look at the new disk in gparted it says it is unformatted. I can see the partitions on the old disk. I even waited until I heard the drive spin down before pulling the plug.

This is one of those "advanced format" drives, but posts here say they work fine. I'm usually able to figure out what I am doing wrong but not this time. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Steve

My Setup

#539 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

recheck a version of gParted

#540 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

"recheck"? I got the latest version available. I also tried Ubuntu 12.10 and it gave me the same result.

Steve

My Setup

spam firewall