Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (614 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (426 votes [69.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.38%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (188 votes [30.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#651 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks. The Amazon link says it will split into two SATA ports, but the illustration shows each port has a separate wire.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#652 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thanks. The Amazon link says it will split into two SATA ports, but the illustration shows each port has a separate wire.

You would need two SATA ports if you want to use both eSATA ports.  The adapter is simply changing the connector type, and the signal being passed through the adapter is not being modified in any way.

#653 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

You would need two SATA ports if you want to use both eSATA ports.  The adapter is simply changing the connector type, and the signal being passed through the adapter is not being modified in any way.

Ah, I see now; thanks. You can see I am a fish out of water here. 

#654 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,789 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

!rolling
You are hilarious!!!

Ahh, this is just where I don't need to be.  I solved all the copying, cloning stuff years ago.  But I'm here and maybe I'll learn something.

Rich

#655 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,789 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Ah, I see now; thanks. You can see I am a fish out of water here. 

Me too, before I drown in this stuff, I'm outa here.

Rich

#656 OFFLINE   Ranman

Ranman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

This thread was very helpful to me. Moved hr44 genie from 1tb to 4tb av green wd drive.
Notes: hr44 would not partition and format my zeroed 4tb drive. Multiple reboots plugged into esata, no go. So plugged back into PC, gpt, partiton and format as exfat. Plug back imto esata hr44, reboot and instant partition and format with xfs.

Used latest 64 bit gparted 0.19.1-4. Open cmd prompt and ran sudo su then did the mkdir and mounts. 1tb would not mount, superblock error so had to run xfs_repair on it first then it mounted. I did do a proper shutdown on hr44? Anyway. With 0.19.1-4 the xfsdump xfsrestore ran 100% successful no errors at all like I read older gparted does on >2tb.

Took ~200 minutes to copy 1tb with 8% free. Ended up with ~81% free space after copy.

I also mounted new drive internal. I did have to dremel off threads on one screw on the hd heatsink. The new drive is taller, and the theads stuck out blocking the heatsink from contactimg hd frame.
All seems well so far! Thank you for all discusion.

This was a very helpful post for me who upgraded an HR34 to a 4Tb drive.  Here are my comments I posted on the other related thread as well.  I searched and read both of these threads and this is what I can add specific to working with this combo HR34/4Tb HDD:

Hi.  I spent a lot of time searching and reading this and the other threads and finally was able to successfully upgrade my HR34 to a 4Tb hard drive.  I now have 800 hours of HD recording capacity and was able to transfer over my previous recordings.  I want to share some info on my successful upgrade because I did a lot of searching here and elsewhere and did not find all of the info I had hoped on successfully completing this specific upgrade. 

For reference, my HR34 had a Western Digital WD10EURS.  I purchased a 4Tb Western Digital AV Green WD40EURX. 

As a note, you do need a standard #10 torx bid to remove the HDD from the HR34, however is DOES NOT need to be an anti-tamper bit.  No torx bits are needed to open the DVR case.  Be sure to follow all previous instructions on graceful power down, etc.  I opened up the HR34 Genie box with a small slotted screwdriver into the 5 round holes from the bottom to release the tabs (2 on each side and one hidden in the front under the small "no tamper" seal).  Gently lift the cover straight up as you get each tab released.  The HDD is mounted with 4 standard #10 torx screws (again, not tamper proof).  I removed the 1Tb HDD (WD10EURS) and plugged in my 4Tb AV Green (WD40EURX) and layed it on top of the HDD cage and booted up the DVR.  The DVR initialized the 4Tb drive no problem and eventually booted to live TV and 100% capacity (no recordings).  Graceful power down and bring both drives to the PC for GParted session.

Initially I ran into some various error messages and so I tried xfsdump / xfsrestore over and over with no success.  I eventuallyy got caught up in the ERROR -R option required to resume or -Q option required to force completion of previously interrupted restore session and didn't know how to resolve it.

Having solved it, what I believe this error means is if you attempted an xfsrestore command and it started but errored out for some reason, you will constantly get the -R -Q error on subsequent attempts b/c Gparted sees the previous file copy attempt / partial copy to the new drive.  You need to clear that all out and start fresh.  I used Gparted to start over from scratch.  I repartitioned the drive and file system using Gparted back to a single partition (GUID Partition table for 4Tb) and back to NTFS.  The goal here was to get the drive to look like it did when it shipped from WD.  Once I did this, I then reinitialized the drive using the HR34. Next, back to the PC with both drives for the Gparted xfsdump and xfsrestore operation. 

I used the latest Gparted 0.19.1-4 and it worked perfectly with 0 errors reported.  With this version, I opened a command prompt and ran sudo su then did the mkdir and mounts.  I also used the -p 600 option to give me status updates every 10 minutes.  My disk took 3.5hrs to copy over and I ended up with all my old recordings and 88% free once the 4Tb was reinstalled into the HR34.  So far everything is working great.  I hope this helps someone else looking at doing this upgrade.

#657 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Congratulations, and thanks for posting the How-to. 

Hope you enjoy your time in DBSTalk. 

#658 OFFLINE   Ranman

Ranman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations, and thanks for posting the How-to. 

Hope you enjoy your time in DBSTalk. 

Thanks!.  I mostly lurk here, but this forum has been exceptionally helpful over the years when modifying/maintaining my entire DirecTV system.

#659 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Now you've hit five posts, you can post pictures and send PMs! 

#660 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,767 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Interesting article from a company that uses thousands of hard drives.  

https://www.backblaz...est-hard-drive/

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#661 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

peds48, thanks for the link

I wish I'd never used Seagate

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#662 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,611 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Interesting article.

#663 OFFLINE   pilotbob3

pilotbob3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

Need some advice please. I have a HR20-700. Replaced the stock drive with a 2TB Seagate a couple of years ago. Started to have problems a few months ago, sometimes I'd have to restart the unit to find the hard drive. This usually occurred on power failures.

Anyhow, a power failure yesterday and the drive failed permanently. I took the drive out and confirmed that the heads weren't loading properly. Last Seagate I'll buy- lost all my recordings.

I purchased a WD 2TB Black WD2003FZEX drive. Installing it to the HR20 internal drive slot, the drive would not format and the HR20 would complain of a storage problem.

I put in a 320G drive I had lying around, formatted and installed perfectly. So, on a whim, I tried then adding the WD drive via the eSATA port and external enclosure. Worked perfectly and unit boots up and uses the drive just fine.

I'd really prefer not to use the external enclosure (takes up extra space and power). Anyone have any ideas on why it would not format internally?

Thanks and advance for advice.

#664 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

ON some other units, folks have had success in formatting the drive with a PC or Mac, then attaching it as an external, which the DVR then sees and formats to its specs. 

#665 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

If you have it working fine externally, then try putting it back internal and I would imagine it'd work fine.

Just a thought, but if you don't have a genie, maybe time to try and upgrade to newer stuff... Maybe it'll be longer before the dvr dies that way and you lose recordings again.

Also, another suggestion, if you ever sense a drive failing again, buy a new one and do a copy for it before it fully dies, then you won't lose recordings. ;)

#666 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:13 AM

It could be positive intervention of the enclosure's internal controller,what did finish successfully a negotiation between the drive and you DVR.

#667 OFFLINE   pilotbob3

pilotbob3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

If you have it working fine externally, then try putting it back internal and I would imagine it'd work fine.

Just a thought, but if you don't have a genie, maybe time to try and upgrade to newer stuff... Maybe it'll be longer before the dvr dies that way and you lose recordings again.

Also, another suggestion, if you ever sense a drive failing again, buy a new one and do a copy for it before it fully dies, then you won't lose recordings. ;)

Thanks, plugged the external drive back into the HR20, HR20 never saw the drive...

Appreciate your suggestion on replacing the drive sooner. Hindsight you know....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...