Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (606 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (420 votes [69.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.31%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (186 votes [30.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

recheck what max version is WORKING for the method (search in the thread and forum)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Latest version no, earliest version yes

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#543 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

gparted 0461 works

#544 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think you misunderstood my post. I do not have an issue with the xfs tools. It's that the large disk shows as unallocated when it certainly is. In any event, using the 3.3.7 version of gparted makes no difference here.

Steve

My Setup

#545 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Are you saying you dont think your HR21 is properly formatting the new drive? It may not have anything to do with gparted at all. It HAS to be formatted by your HR21 b4 you try to do the xfs dump/restore. When you boot up your HR21 with the new 2TB drive attached, it has to come all the way up, including the format. If you dont see the message about formatting storage device, you cant go on to the next step.

#546 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

No, not saying that. The HR21 formats the drive, boots it fine, runs with it fine. Even does a software update. But when I do the proper shutdown and try to view the disk under Linux, it shows as unallocated. I even tried ignoring the gparted indication of unallocated and doing the mount and xfs copy commands anyway - they didn't work. The old drive shows up with the partitions fine in gparted.

Steve

My Setup

#547 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

No, not saying that. The HR21 formats the drive, boots it fine, runs with it fine. Even does a software update. But when I do the proper shutdown and try to view the disk under Linux, it shows as unallocated. I even tried ignoring the gparted indication of unallocated and doing the mount and xfs copy commands anyway - they didn't work. The old drive shows up with the partitions fine in gparted.

Use the version of gparted in the original post. That's the only thing I can suggest.

#548 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

As I indicated earlier, I did try that exact version. I am 99.99% confident it is not a tool problem.

I have some other things I will try, but it will be a while before I can get to it.

Steve

My Setup

#549 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

was your new target drive clean ? perhaps without MBR you could see these old parts ...

#550 OFFLINE   Syphone

Syphone

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

@sbl The partitions are there on your new drive (assuming you had the receiver format it and it dismounted cleanly). Use the commands to mount the new drive (first post), then if you want to check run:

ls -alh /mnt/fap

You should see pretty much the same file structure as /mnt/hr20 (or whatever you mount these to).

I had the same issues you did with the latest version of the XFStools but 0.4.6-1 of gparted seems to be working much better so far. If you have a lot of stuff on your original drive it will take a while, so be patient.

Good Luck!

#551 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I am trying to copy an external to an external. I have done this before several times with success. Using the same bootable devices for gparted as before.

I am getting an error from xfsrestore.

Says xfsrestore: attemp to write xxxxx bytes to viewer/segments/Rcrd-xxxxxxxxx(date timestuf.....mpg/xxxxxx at offset xxxxx failed: Invalid argument.

Anyone seen this before? The drive formatted in the dvr.

----- update

The errors appear to be data related as it will spit out errors on a recording and then continue a while w/o any errors. Later the errors resume on another file.

Is there anyway to redirect the output to a file instead of the screen so I could get a log of what recordings are bad? I can see channel, date and time which would be enough to id the recording.

Edited by MountainMan10, 08 March 2013 - 07:04 PM.
additional information

#552 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Additional information.

I wrote down the date/time/channel information on some of the files that were getting a copy error. I then checked the old hard disk to see if these recordings existed. They did not. It appears that either they were deleted programs or programs where I had bad weather and the recording failed.

I also compared all the recordings on the new disk and the old and they were identical. So all the recordings were copied.

My conclusion is the errors I was receiving was due to some kind of disk corruption on the original disk.

As a test, today I am copying back from the new disk to the old. I am not getting any of the errors.

These errors appear to be that there are files on the hard drive which are not in the directory. In windows/dos they were called lost files and could be recovered with a dskchk.

I do wonder if these were taking up space that could not be used for recording, or if they are truly nothing to worry about.

#553 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

You could use xfscheck program, if you want to dig into it.

#554 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

xfscheck is a unix utility i presume?

Too late for this particular disk as I copied it to a new drive and then back just to see if the copy fixed it.

I wonder if anyone has tried xfscheck. These partitions appear to be non-standard.

My second copy has finished. All the recordings still there. Shows the same %free.

#555 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I did ... I recall the program/utility has been mentioned before here ... also it was outlined a process of recovery XFS with broken superblock and some other issues...

#556 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

xfscheck is a unix utility i presume?

Too late for this particular disk as I copied it to a new drive and then back just to see if the copy fixed it.

I wonder if anyone has tried xfscheck. These partitions appear to be non-standard.

My second copy has finished. All the recordings still there. Shows the same %free.

Non-standard to what OS and file system? ;)

It's really just good ole xfs with some ext3 partitions or vice versa. I may have said that wrong but I'm not a big Linux guy either. To linux guys its pretty standard fare.

#557 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Non-standard in that GParted wont even show how much space is used in the largest partition. GParted wont copy the partitions (at least for me the copy option is not enabled).

#558 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Non-standard in that GParted wont even show how much space is used in the largest partition. GParted wont copy the partitions (at least for me the copy option is not enabled).

You cant use gparted to do straight copies, your only option is really to do xfsdump and restores. I believe thats because the data is encrypted. I also believe that gparted doesnt show the statistics for the large partition because its a real-time subvolume and they arent like conventional partitions that us Windows guys are used to seeing.

#559 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

When GPartEd will fully support XFS partitions with real-time extension, then the misrepresentation ("non-standard") of it will gone form posts ...

FYI: encrypted data and any other data (a content of files) is not an obstacle for XFS tools or other programs supporting the file system type.

#560 OFFLINE   Praz

Praz

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

I ran into something similar. I have a 750GB drive attached externally to a HR20-100. Contains maybe 30 recordings. The drive works fine installed internally or connected by eSATA. The other day I attempted to copy the drive to a new 1TB drive. Did the graceful shutdown with the 750GB drive, connected the 1TB drive by eSATA, let it format and then performed the graceful shutdown again. Moved both drives to a computer and booted up with GParted. The 1TB drive shows 3 partitions while the original 750GB drive show unallocated. I tried multiple versions of GParted that are listed in this thread as well as the latest version. Also tried these versions on different systems with the drive connected to the motherboards' native ports as well as eSATA and the 750GB drive always shows as unallocatted. Currently the 750GB drive is connected to the receiver and is still working fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...