Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (629 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (437 votes [69.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.48%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (192 votes [30.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#701 OFFLINE   saoyshpt

saoyshpt

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

P Smith,

I will do a search for your thread, if you have a link and could provide it would be much appreciated. So you know which chip contains the RID? Nice! Assuming no other conflicts, that would be ideal, swap chips, and then just place the old HDD into the new unit and fire it up! I wonder if you would have to use the same (old) card or the new card that came with the new unit? Hmmm... And I wonder how that unit would show up to D*TV? Probably as the old HR24, correct?

peds48,

Yes, we are all aware that we are taking our lives into our own hands by tampering with our boxes, as I believe has been covered about 1000+ times in this thread and every other thread like this one on this site. What can I say, I am a rebel. And apparently not alone. Fact of the matter is: the D*TV tech that I talked to on the phone didn't even care. Well, he CARED. As in "...hmmm, I am not supposed to know about that..." but when I explained how I immediately open my units up and swap out the 350/500 GB HDDs for a new 2TB HDDs in ALL of my units his response was "...holy crap, that is a lot of storage space! What do you do with 6 TB?!?!...", and not: "...well, I am going to have to cancel your account and send the D*TV police to your location to lock you up in D*TV prison...". In fact, when he agreed to replace my admittedly opened and modified HR24 he marked it as "FedEx to customer" and not "install for customer". I even told him of my plan to immediately open it and put in the new 2TB HDD and he stuck his fingers in his ears and went "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING", but he definitely did not ban me from being a customer or getting new equipment. Fact is, they are suprisingly cool with it if you are open and honest and not breaking and replacing their units willy nilly. It probably depends a lot on the tech that you get I am sure, but I rarely call D*TV for service and everytime that I have I have not hidden anything and they are always OK with it. $$$ > legalities apparently. They would rather have a regular committed paying customer who doesn't request service except when the equipment fails on its own accord and actually saves them money by doing his own swaps and installations.

OK... climbing off the soapbox now, just an FYI, they are aware and they are not prosecuting. He actually seemed to be taking notes, like "so, what brand of drives do you use? how does it work out for you? isn't 6GB overwhelming? how do you find programs that you recorded at the bottom of the list?" Yeah, that last one is something that I wanted to address with D*TV, I have to page through literally hundreds of pages to reach something from waaaaay back. They need to add a "Search" or "Filter" or something to that damned listing, LOL...

Thanks for all of your advice and input BTW. Even peds. That is what makes this site a gem!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#702 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,191 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

the CSR does not care, nor Do I. The ones who care you never get to talk to them which are the folks gets the receivers when you return them. Also, I have gotten MOD notices when talking about stuff that is not permitted on their site. So I won't talk about them.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#703 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,220 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

P Smith,

I will do a search for your thread, if you have a link and could provide it would be much appreciated. So you know which chip contains the RID? Nice! Assuming no other conflicts, that would be ideal, swap chips, and then just place the old HDD into the new unit and fire it up! I wonder if you would have to use the same (old) card or the new card that came with the new unit? Hmmm... And I wonder how that unit would show up to D*TV? Probably as the old HR24, correct?

peds48,
Yes, we are all aware that we are taking our lives into our own hands by tampering with our boxes, as I believe has been covered about 1000+ times in this thread and every other thread like this one on this site. What can I say, I am a rebel. And apparently not alone. Fact of the matter is: the D*TV tech that I talked to on the phone didn't even care. Well, he CARED. As in "...hmmm, I am not supposed to know about that..." but when I explained how I immediately open my units up and swap out the 350/500 GB HDDs for a new 2TB HDDs in ALL of my units his response was "...holy crap, that is a lot of storage space! What do you do with 6 TB?!?!...", and not: "...well, I am going to have to cancel your account and send the D*TV police to your location to lock you up in D*TV prison...". In fact, when he agreed to replace my admittedly opened and modified HR24 he marked it as "FedEx to customer" and not "install for customer". I even told him of my plan to immediately open it and put in the new 2TB HDD and he stuck his fingers in his ears and went "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING", but he definitely did not ban me from being a customer or getting new equipment. Fact is, they are suprisingly cool with it if you are open and honest and not breaking and replacing their units willy nilly. It probably depends a lot on the tech that you get I am sure, but I rarely call D*TV for service and everytime that I have I have not hidden anything and they are always OK with it. $$$ > legalities apparently. They would rather have a regular committed paying customer who doesn't request service except when the equipment fails on its own accord and actually saves them money by doing his own swaps and installations.

OK... climbing off the soapbox now, just an FYI, they are aware and they are not prosecuting. He actually seemed to be taking notes, like "so, what brand of drives do you use? how does it work out for you? isn't 6GB overwhelming? how do you find programs that you recorded at the bottom of the list?" Yeah, that last one is something that I wanted to address with D*TV, I have to page through literally hundreds of pages to reach something from waaaaay back. They need to add a "Search" or "Filter" or something to that damned listing, LOL...

Thanks for all of your advice and input BTW. Even peds. That is what makes this site a gem!

It's not going to work. The things are encoded I believe in the program level since over the air recordings will work fine after transferring. Honestly I wouldn't personally hold out hope to keep anything recorded in a DVR forever. Just buy it or record it in 480p to your computer or dvd.

And yeah, some of the system stuff is actually in the hard drives. A simple way to see this, notice that sorts searches is availed in a genie only after additional software is downloaded to the hard drive itself, it's not in the software that drives the basics of the DVR.

And it's never the csrs you need to worry about. It's the guy at the service center that checks it when it gets back. I don't think they care about hard drives,but if they open it up And see you've messed with chips I'd bet you'd get a charge on your account without a word from anyone. Heck I doubt the guys checking them at the service center event ow if the unit was new or not when it was sent to you. But messed up chips, that's a bit of a bigger issue if they are soldered on weird or something. I'd never go there with a unit I didn't own if I where you. Hard drives, well you know the story... But chips? That is a whole other ball game...

Out of curiosity what is it that you find so precious on that particular DVR anyway?

#704 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,191 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

Out of curiosity what is it that you find so precious on that particular DVR anyway?

Housewives out of somewhere?!?!... lol

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#705 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

HR34 2TB upgraded to HR44 4TB, no loss of recordings. Used 2 external thermaltake docks with a laptop. Slow but successful.

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR44-700 with AM21n OTA & RC71B Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#706 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,191 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:59 AM

HR34 2TB upgraded to HR44 4TB, no loss of recordings. Used 2 external thermaltake docks with a laptop. Slow but successful.

so the recordings from the 34 play on the 44? That would be a first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#707 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,025 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:09 AM

good sign of future on same account swapping HDDs :up:

Edited by P Smith, 19 January 2016 - 07:09 AM.

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#708 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

I used gparted 3.7, followed instructions, completed in 12 hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#709 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,025 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

I used gparted 3.7, followed instructions, completed in 12 hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the point is you copied from one DVR to OTHER DVR; all such attempts failed before and we got so many posts about that outcome :(

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#710 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Understood. I assumed the efforts with the HR24 worked with the HR34 & HR44. I didn't realize it wasn't succeeding with other attempts.

I just used the instructions from  http://www.dbstalk.c...rive/?p=1883356

It worked for my HR24's a few years ago, so I assumed it still worked, which it did

Edited by palmgrower, 19 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#711 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Did this just really happen?? Will it work for other models DVR? 

#712 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,220 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

Have you played back any or all the recordings yet? And where they over the air recordings or sat recordings. It'll copy them but it won't actually play back the recordings off satellite unless something changed in the last couple weeks.

#713 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Yes, they are all playing

Is this the first report of this?  When did the not playing off satellite issue arise?

Edited by palmgrower, 19 January 2016 - 03:52 PM.

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#714 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

Yes, they are all playing

Is this the first report of this?  When did the not playing off satellite issue arise?

Did you use the same access card on both DVRs? I'm sure the others will elaborate more but recordings are matched with your access card. 

#715 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Yes, same access card

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#716 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 567 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

My experience is that the recordings are in the list, with the date and time recorded, and in a test today, using an External HDD, it even told me the Receiver it was recorded on.  But you cannot play it.  That has not changed on any software release.

But, I never tried using the same access card.  I didn't think that was possible.   Hmmmm.

Edited by tomspeer46, 19 January 2016 - 04:20 PM.

The curious otter is around, but hasn't been seen for a while.  

HR44-200, HR24-500, SWM13 LNB

#717 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

My experience is that the recordings are in the list, with the date and time recorded, and in a test today, using an External HDD, it even told me the Receiver it was recorded on.  But you cannot play it.  That has not changed on any software release.

But, I never tried using the same access card.  I didn't think that was possible.   Hmmmm.

The only way That can done is a Tech would have to perform the upgrade from one receiver to another using his hand held device. -SO Maybe a Fish is hiding in the story somewhere?

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#718 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Just called D. They told me I can upgrade to Genie & Tech would allow me to use my current access card. (external drive recordings would be intact)

I didn't know that was possible. Is this new?

#719 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,191 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Just called D. They told me I can upgrade to Genie & Tech would allow me to use my current access card. (external drive recordings would be intact)

I didn't know that was possible. Is this new?

Sorry, but that is not possible.  If tech brings the receiver, they HAVE to use access card provided with the receiver, they can't (for inventory reasons) use another access card.  If you want to use same access card is better to keep this transaction between you and DIRECTV.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#720 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• 12,271 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

I don't think "the average user/customer" can move an access card from one receiver to another and have it work. I know that nobody prior to this thread has successfully moved recordings from one receiver to another and been able to play them.  As a result, I seriously question what has actually happened with regard to what was posted here, and certainly look forward to more details if in fact this was done with success.

As to calling and having a CSR tell you that can be done, I would not trust that information until we see more regarding this. Again, this is something that has not been supported (or even possible so far as I know) in the past.

#721 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,220 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

You can't swap access cards. The access card department has been needed for that for years and they don't do it either that I have heard. Although they could if it really needed to happen. But DIRECTV stopped swapping access cards when they started adding rec id numbers years ago.

#722 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

Good afternoon

I stuck the old access card into the new receiver, called Directv, gave them the access card # and the receiver #.  It activated.  I did a graceful shutdown and began the copy process.

I followed the "original procedures" for copying a hard drive, only difference is I used my 2 TB data from an HR34 to a 4TB in new HR44.  50% full at 2TB became 26% full at 4TB

The last times I've done this was to increase the 500gb to 2 TB hard drives in my HR24's.

The last 3 seasons of college volleyball from ESPNU and BigTenNetwork and other Sports Networks,  the last 2 World Series, TBS and FS1, and the FSU National Championship as well.  Last seasons Lip Sync Battle still works. All those are Satellite based recordings. My local antenna recordings work, Nova, Frontline, 60 minutes, MLB all star games.

Had I know this wasn't possible (I have not read every post), then I probably would never have attempted it. Or I would have deleted all Satellite Recordings and kept only off air.

With OnDemand I don't need to keep movies.

I apologize if I have caused problems with the forum.  I will stop posting copy activities hence forth.

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

#723 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

I hope you don't stop posting. IMO you offered up some good info..

#724 OFFLINE   hoss713

hoss713

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

I apologize if I have caused problems with the forum.  I will stop posting copy activities hence forth.

I don't think you caused any problems.  Don't take the comments that have been posted personally.  

What you appear to have done is something that many folks here have wanted to do for quite a long time and have been unsuccessful at - hence we are all wondering how you were able to do something so easily that hasn't been previously accomplished.

I know that when I switched to the HR44, I was not able to preserve my recordings.  They did not give me the option to use my old card - the tech that came out to do the install said he had to use the new card.  When I upgraded another box, they told me I had to use the card that came with that box and that I had to send the old card back within 'n' days.

Did you have a tech install, or did they send you the HR44 and you installed it yourself?  If a tech installed, I'm surprised they didn't have to activate before leaving. Perhaps you just got lucky that they activated the card on your new receiver, or maybe they've changed a policy that we're not yet aware of.

Hi-Def Setup:

HR44-500

4TB External SATA : WD40EZRX + Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU

Other Receivers:

HR20-700

2TB External SATA + Thermaltake Max 5 ST0021U

#725 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Self Install

You're a Giants fan, and it's an even year, all the best!

DIRECTV AU9-SWM-22 
LNB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...