Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (606 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (420 votes [69.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.31%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (186 votes [30.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#581 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

My genie hard drive seems to have 4 partitions anyone done a genie hard drive and it worked for them?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

My genie hard drive seems to have 4 partitions anyone done a genie hard drive and it worked for them?

I have done a 1TB Genie HD to a 2TB Genie HD using 0.3.7-7 without an issue.

However, myself and Inkhaus are having an issue going to a larger drive than 2TB in a different thread.

I will post it here as well for input.

Looking for PSmith or another Linux expert here.

I've done this procedure numerous times over the years. After issues with builds higher than 0.3.3-7 years ago, figured if it ain't broke, go with what you know.

First this afternoon took a filled 1TB Drive out of a Genie and copied to a 2TB Drive using 0.3.3-7

8 hours later, success, reinstall, everything is fine.

Took out a second 1TB Drive to clone to a 3TB Drive. This is first 3TB Drive.

I make sure 3TB is on device 0 and 1TB is on device 1.

I see this in the bios at startup

When 0.3.3-7 starts, I can see it recognizes the 3TB and the 1TB in Grep.

Go through mkdirs and mounts - then the xfsdump and xfsrestore.

Takes 9 seconds and says "success" files copied.

I realize something is seriously wrong. Thinking I somehow copied the 3TB to the 1TB. Check connections again. Everything is correct. Then thinking I must have somehow f'ed up my 1TB with the Programs, I put it back in the Genie.

Luckily, everything is fine.

So, I repeat everything again with the same outcome after 9 seconds.

Only thing I think of is that even though the bios and program are recognizing the 3TB Drive, the older program cannot handle.

So I burn 0.16.1-1

Delete everything off the new 3TB. Put back in Genie. Formats. Clean shutdown.

Boot with 0.16.1-1

Again, 0.16.1-1 sees both drives. Everything is where its suppose to be.

But now, when I type mkdir /mnt/fap I get "permission denied"

Even 0.3.7-1 let me create the directories with no issues.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I should also note I installed another SATA card into the machine just on the off chance the SATA card was the issue with 0.3.7-1 not working.

Same procedure, wiped 3TB, reinstalled in Genie, booted, formatted, shutdown and moved to PC.

Same issue.

Completes xfsdump / xfsrestore in 3 seconds now.

However, i do find this interesting.

Did a mkdir \dev\fap etc in 0.3.7-1 and did a clean shutdown of PC.

Started PC backup with 0.3.7-1 and tried to mount, but it could not find the 2 directories.

That seems to indicate to me that even though it says the directories are being created in 0.3.3-7 they aren't?????

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 24 September 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#583 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

One thing I need to mention. When I prepped the new 4tb drive in the hr44 it didn't register all 4tb. It left 2 alone. So I erased it and reprepped it in my HR34. That found all 4tb of it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#584 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

After several hours of failure, where GPart 0.16.1-1 complains from the first mkdir /mnt/fap that you have to be in root, using Google and trial and error, before the first mkdir command you need to type the command sudo -i to run the shell in root mode. After this is done, all the commands from mkdir /mnt/fap forward run correctly.

However, I have yet to get a successful copy yet and giving up for the night (or morning as it is now).

#585 OFFLINE   f13dfx

f13dfx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hello ALL!

Been away so long that I forgot about this thread.  Now I need advice :).

The stock internal hard drive in my HR23-700 has given up the ghost.  I had wanted to replace it anyway.

Would the Western Digital 2TB Green Caviar HDD be the best one for an internal replacement?

Is it as simple as opening the receiver (I have read the implications :)) & replacing the old drive & just plugging in the receiver & letting it do it's thing as far as formatting the drive & whatever happens after that.....having it pickup my dish config until I get video.  I don't want to bother with keeping my old recordings.

Your replies & advice are greatly appreciated!

#586 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

It's unbelievable to me that this thread lives on after 6 plus years. Thanks, all! Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

#587 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hello ALL!

Been away so long that I forgot about this thread.  Now I need advice :).

The stock internal hard drive in my HR23-700 has given up the ghost.  I had wanted to replace it anyway.

Would the Western Digital 2TB Green Caviar HDD be the best one for an internal replacement?

Is it as simple as opening the receiver (I have read the implications :)) & replacing the old drive & just plugging in the receiver & letting it do it's thing as far as formatting the drive & whatever happens after that.....having it pickup my dish config until I get video.  I don't want to bother with keeping my old recordings.

Your replies & advice are greatly appreciated!

Do you own that HR23?  If not, for heaven's sake, call DIrectv and tell them the HDD failed and get a replacement sent to you.  The 23's are terribly slow models and you will most likely get a 24......which is a way better model.  If you want to add an external to that, it would be a much better investment.

#588 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Upgrade to newer receiver, then add a bigger drive

#589 OFFLINE   f13dfx

f13dfx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Do you own that HR23?  If not, for heaven's sake, call DIrectv and tell them the HDD failed and get a replacement sent to you.  The 23's are terribly slow models and you will most likely get a 24......which is a way better model.  If you want to add an external to that, it would be a much better investment.

As a matter of fact, I do own this one.  So just take out the old & put in the new......and then let the receiver do it's thing?

And is the WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD a good one for a replacement?  Or would a WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB HDD be better?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Edited by f13dfx, 12 December 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#590 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Get rid of the 23 1st....they are total junk....order one of the WD AVGP Green drives up to 2 TB....those are the most recommended drives on this site for use in the Directv DVR's....

#591 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

As suggested Get one of the WD AVGP Green drives up to 2 TB- Plug it in and go - Since you own the receiver -You won't start a new commitment and if you get D* to replace it - You will get pot luck -Stay with what you know or go to e e*tailer and order a "new" receiver of your choice.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#592 OFFLINE   Drexon

Drexon

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Thanks all to their contributions in this thread.  My HR24 loaded with content was dying.  It was overheating daily and performing very poorly.  It was pretty clear the hard drive had issues either causing the problem or because of the heat.  It mattered little.

Out of a desire to not have to argue with support again and to retain my content I decided to go ahead and open my box.  Nothing like being told you are responsible for the maintenance of a leased box, but that you cannot maintain it because it is leased.

It took some effort, likely due to the failing drive which was the cause of the heat buildup as well.  But in the end I have transferred my content off the stock 500GB onto a 2TB drive and now have 80% free where I was almost full before. 

To echo what some others have said before, I had issues and had to step back to an older version of GParted 0.4.6-1.  That seemed to resolve some of the issues.  I also had to use an interim drive copying first to a dump file and then from a dump file to the new drive.  This was likely because of some errors that were being hidden in the piped process from one of the two commands on either side of the pipe.  The temp file just made the process much less error prone albeit with the added requirement of a third drive for temp usage.

In the end it went a bit more like this

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20

mkdir /mnt/tmp

mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

#My tmp drive was ext4 adjust accordingly

#exFat and ntfs write did not seem to be supported by .4.6-1

mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/tmp

xfsdump -J -f /mnt/tmp/hr20.dmp /mnt/hr20

xfsrestore -J -f /mnt/tmp/hr20.dmp /mnt/fap

This process takes longer, and the truth is I rebooted between dump and restore, though that matters little, I just didnt want to disconnect enough sata connectors to connect all at once, and didn't want to use USB if possible to avoid.

There are a few comments on this thread about how this is a standard linux file system.  Want to take a second to clear that up.  While XFS is an increasingly common linux file system it is far from a standard linux filesystem.  The standard linux filesystems are the EXT3 or EXT4.  Further this XFS filesystem is a real-time filesystem, something that is considered expiramental and unsupported by the XFS developers.  There is a thread online elsewhere I came across trying to resolve one of the errors I encountered where those developers discussed this very process at length.  They question why someone would use it in any production environment.  I work everyday of my life in linux doing development and system administration.  Were it not for the information in this thread, I would have been unable to complete this task.

#593 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Glad it worked for you, in the end you saved your recordings/data and Directv saved money, still think you should be allowed to open your receivers

Thanks all to their contributions in this thread.  My HR24 loaded with content was dying.  It was overheating daily and performing very poorly.  It was pretty clear the hard drive had issues either causing the problem or because of the heat.  It mattered little.

Out of a desire to not have to argue with support again and to retain my content I decided to go ahead and open my box.  Nothing like being told you are responsible for the maintenance of a leased box, but that you cannot maintain it because it is leased.

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SWM-13 LNB

#594 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Um you are not expected to keep it maintained at all. What gave you that impression?

#595 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Correct, you don't need to maintain the box, DirecTV will replace the box free of charge.  you pay for shipping if you don't have the PP

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#596 OFFLINE   SteveK2

SteveK2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Re-visiting this thread again (last time was April 2013) because my replacement 2TB WD drive won't start up as an external drive on my HR21 (yes I know that's an old box, but about 1.5TB of recordings -- mostly my wife's -- so I'm trying to recover what I can).

Anyway, re-trying the Gparted procedure, but getting screens-full of this message: 

"xfsrestore: attempt to write xxxxx bytes to viewer/segments/..... at offset yyyyyy failed:  Invalid argument"

Before the dump/restore, I did a surface scan on the source drive with Victoria and got only 1 problematic sector.

The restore has been running for 25 minutes, 3.9% complete. No doubt the write failures are elongating completion time.

Question:  should I let the restore continue or should I break out of it and take some other action?

Sorry, I am a linux neophyte, so will need some direction on how best to handle.  I saw a post from April 2013 with the same issue, but I don't know what the best path forward to resolve.

Any ideas, help, or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

SteveK2

#597 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,045 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

For now, I would wait for a finish, then would read log and get grasp of the errors.

After that you should choose your direction.

Perhaps try to separate the processes, instead of using a pipe, just try to dump it first, then see if it works, for that you'll be need third drive.

Edited by P Smith, 08 February 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#598 OFFLINE   SteveK2

SteveK2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ok...I will let it continue for now....it has about 6.5  hours left to go. :coffee

#599 OFFLINE   SteveK2

SteveK2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Dump/Restore completed overnight.

Screenshot of the completion messages is attached. This was taken with my phone so apologies about the poor quality.

Messages indicate successful completion....but clearly some data glitches will make the copy incomplete.

The byte count between media file size and the dumped file is about 99MB...or about 0.006% of the full media size if that's any indication of the gaps in the video stream.

As I mentioned above, I will need some help with Linux commands to navigate directories to find & review log. My hacking at linux commands and directory structure is just barely above futile. :bang

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140209_090844.jpg

Edited by SteveK2, 09 February 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#600 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,045 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

minimal action is to play recordings what's parts been dumped with warnings, if they are OK or insignificant, I would stop worry here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...