Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (600 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (416 votes [69.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.33%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

You're done. Total time, 15 minutes at the most. Obviously, if you want to preserve drive contents you'll have to copy partitions as described earlier.

thank you
excellent post
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

I really feel like a dummy when attempting to perform this simple upgrade of my HR20 with a 1.5TB drive. Downloaded GParted Live CD 0.3.7-7 but could not get the xfsdump and xfsrestore utilities to run - could not even find them on the CD.

I've tried this three times today and each time the same results.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong? :(

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,861 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

I would start to be familiar with Linux itself, then do such complicated tasks as the copy of DRV's disks.

#64 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

I would start to be familiar with Linux itself, then do such complicated tasks as the copy of DRV's disks.

I'm assuming your message was a response to my previous post.

I am some what familiar with Linux but not a daily user. However a neighbor of mine is very much a Linux expert and he spent the entire day attempting to help me solve this problem. He will be the first to admit that he doesn't know xfs inside and out but can install the file system and its tools.

We tired GP 0.3.7-7 and 0.4.5-2 but could not get xfsdump or xfsrestore to run do to fact that they didn't appear to be on the live CD. We tried Knooppix live also and still could not find xfsdump/xfsrestore.

Thanks for you help.

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'm not using live-cd types but RHEL and Ubuntu, you always could add to them any package what you need; in your case with CD type - recheck if the distro have XFS support and find right one.

#66 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

The problem turned out to be a missing symbolic link to xfstools for xfsdump and xfsrestore.

#67 OFFLINE   mattengland

mattengland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Summary: Can I use this copy process (see below) to copy 2 original drives (each with different recorded content) to 1 new one?

Details:

ie, run xfsdump twice, first pass with one source drive, the second pass with a different source drive but the same target (copy-to) disk?

mkdir /mnt/fap
mkdir /mnt/hr20
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

Or...will I need to be more creative with the 2nd copy process so as not to mess up things like the metadata from the first? Or can it be done at all? (I'm figuring this isn't feasible, but hoping it doesn't hurt to ask.)

Separately: Why would I want to do this? Here's my scenario:

I have an HR20-700, "standard" internal drive, something like 30-40hrs HD record time. I bought a 1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent (I'm presuming this is the "fap"?) and plugged it in (via eSATA) externally to upgrade my recording time and things worked great. Then said 1.5TB drive started misbehaving after a couple days, and my HR20 would occasionally reboot back to the internal disk. I fear problems with said 1.5TB drive.

So I bought another 1.5TB drive, am now copying the original 1.5TB to the new one using the above procedure. Along the way, would be nice to copy the recordings off of the internal drive from the HR20 (I own my hr20, so I'm not worried about leasing violation) on to my new 1.5TB disk.

Thanks for any help.

#68 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,861 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

This process wouldn't be feasible - we don't know how to merge meta-data.

You missed your opportunity when you bought first 1.5TB disk; that time you should make the copy and accumulate both lines. Now it's too late.

#69 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

Summary: Can I use this copy process (see below) to copy 2 original drives (each with different recorded content) to 1 new one?

I would try it and report back. I believe it will work. I accidentally copied to a non-empty drive while playing with the xfs tools and I saw both sets recordings in the list upon reboot. I can't remember whether I tried playing from both though.

#70 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Can I use the same process to copy an existing external esata drive to a bigger external sata drive?

#71 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Can I use the same process to copy an existing external esata drive to a bigger external sata drive?

Yes, if you mean the process in the original post. I’ve done it several times without a problem.

Edited by daniellee, 30 July 2009 - 12:24 PM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#72 OFFLINE   bsnelson

bsnelson

I can has HR2x?

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

Everything in the following post is hypothetical. Please replace all instances of "did" with "would have done, in theory". ;)

I successfully expanded a stock drive from a HR21 to a 1TB drive today. I did have to use the xfs_repair on both drives; I suspect the machine itself does that quite often when it isn't shut down through the menus, so the software is robust enough to handle this situation.

I used my old "TiVo hacking PC", a 1Ghz Duron cheapie that I'd added a SiL 3512 based SATA card to (1 SATA and 1 eSATA port); after installing the 1TB drive in an MX-1 enclosure and initting in the HR21, I proceeded to disassemble the HR21. It wasn't as easy as the TiVos, but still not too bad. I removed the front panel to get to the screws on the HD, but it might be possible to not remove the ribbon cable; I was too impatient, plus the cable had a pull tab making removal a snap.

I hooked everything up to the PC and booted the gparted CD. As mentioned, I had to do the xfs_repair, and then I started the copy. It took almost 4 hours, no doubt due to my hardware config. Having full faith that those before me had debugged this procedure thoroughly, I installed the new drive internally, buttoned it back up and re-installed it in my "stack" before I even powered it on. Crossing my fingers, I powered it up. It seemed to take longer than usual in the satellite detection stage, but after live TV came on, I verified that I went from 8-9% free to 78% free! Success! I played part of the newest and oldest recordings, both OK.

Now, I'm eyeing those other two HR2x boxes, one with a 1.5TB eSATA and the other bone stock. How easy it would be to swap that 1.5TB to the internal slot, and 1.5TB drives are less than $120. Perhaps the pain of removing them from the rack will keep me from doing it. Maybe. The one I did was on top; the others aren't as easily accessible.

Thanks to everyone who helped perfect this procedure. :up:

Brad

#73 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

Now, I'm eyeing those other two HR2x boxes, one with a 1.5TB eSATA and the other bone stock. How easy it would be to swap that 1.5TB to the internal slot, and 1.5TB drives are less than $120.

Assuming you have an eSATA enclosure that is easy to disassemble (some aren't too easy like the Free Agent Pro's), it should be a snap. It sounds like you've already been inside one of your DVRs, so just take the hard drive out of the enclosure, replace the DVR internal drive with your 1.5TB drive, and you are done.

#74 OFFLINE   bsnelson

bsnelson

I can has HR2x?

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

Another successful upgrade, this time a HR20-100. Very interesting hard drive/fan mount. I didn't have the "can't read superblock" problem this time, but I did have the spin-up problem (easily worked around by restarting gparted). Three minutes shy of 4 hours to copy on my little slow machine with the original drive about 12% free.

Thanks again for this procedure!

Brad

#75 OFFLINE   EastTexan

EastTexan

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this procedure and to report my success as my scenario was a bit different. I already had a 1TB eSata drive connected and wanted to replace it with a 500GB. I don't save movies, only record shows and keep them till I can watch them. The 1TB drive worked perfectly but unless I kept things cleaned up it would slow down the list as the number of recordings increased. I found that 50% was more than adequate and found the 500GB drive at an good price ($60 shipped). The internal drive wasn't quite big enough for extended stays away, and I also found that my receiver ran cooler with the external drive connected. I wanted a 1TB drive for computer use so buying a 500GB and swapping it with the 1TB seemed like the thing to do... just have a bunch of recordings I haven't had time to watch yet so copying was in order.

My computer doesn't have eSata so I decided to try it using USB before buying an eSata card and cables (didn't want to have to fish out the one eSata cable I've got connected to my HR20-700). It worked fine with USB. Gparted (0.4.6-1) found both drives with no problem. The first time I tried the procedure it failed with a no filenames specified error. I had printed out the instructions and thought I'd followed them to a tee but when I came back here I noticed two spaces in the xfsdump line that didn't appear to be in my printout after the '-' following the '-J' for both the dump and restore. Once I added the spaces to the command it worked like a charm. It took 14834 seconds (a little over 4 hours) to copy about 300GB.

BTW, both drives are Fantom GreenDrives (WD Green Drives inside). The 1TB worked flawlessly for about a year, the 500GB for about six hours. They run quiet and cool. The enclosures appear to be cast aluminum, just slightly larger in width and height than the drives (they fit snugly inside) and about 1-1/2 inches longer - no fans.

Thanks again!

#76 OFFLINE   davidgenes

davidgenes

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

Just to let you all know, I picked up a Seagate 2TB internal SATA 5900rpm drive yesterday and put it in my HR21-700 using the method at the beginning of this thread.

It worked flawlessly! :D

Basically, I did a clean shutdown, plugged the new 2TB drive in place of the original 320GB one, booted up so it formatted it, did another clean shutdown, put both drives in my computer and booted from the gparted CD and did the mount, copy and umount commands. It took about 1hr, 10min to copy 170GB. Mounted the new drive in the HR21, booted up and all my settings, shows, season passes, etc were still there, but with lots for space available!!!

Thanks for the great info!

#77 OFFLINE   pheroy

pheroy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

A little more feedback and thanks, here.

I upgraded an HR20 to a 750 GB drive (OEM drive yanked from an HP WHS setup). I had to use GParted to merge partitions before the HR20 seemed to be able to boot up with it installed (and that process took a LONG time), but once I did that, and of course the graceful power off sequence, everything worked fine. I had a couple of other little glitches along the way. 1) My PC recognized the new drive but wouldn't recognize the original HR20 drive at first, then I swapped SATA cables between the two and it worked. No clue why that happened. 2) I mis-read the instructions and got the old/new drives reversed, so when I kicked off the xfsdump command it took 8 seconds to finish. I thought I had it wrong just looking at the command, and that confirmed it. Fortunately, redoing it properly worked fine - the empty drive didn't cause the original drive to lose any data. Figured some might find that reassuring.

So I'm planning to put a 1.5 TB drive in my HR21 tonight. BTW, note to marty45714 - that link to the Parts Express security Torx driver set is broken. However, I went to my local Lowe's and found this 6 piece set for $10. (Actually, the one I got is a Bosch brand instead of Skil, but the product ID on the receipt is the same.)

Also, another suggestion for the instructions... I think it would be clearer to make the /mnt directories as "new" and "old" - I'm not sure what "fap" means, and "hr20" could be seen as either drive.

#78 OFFLINE   pheroy

pheroy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

A couple of notes about the HR21 and disassembling it.

1) Getting the front panel off to get at the screws securing the drive. This actually turned out to be much easier than getting all the screws out for the HR20, by using 2 toothpicks. I broke the toothpicks in half and inserted them into the tabs securing the front panel on the bottom of the HR21, which made it fairly simple to then release the side tabs.

2) I didn't remove the ribbon cable from the front panel. I just tilted the panel down flat - there was just enough slack in the cable to do that, and then the drive screws were easily accessible.

On the HR20, I actually haven't reassembled the drive mount and cover of my HR20 yet, because I wanted to be 100% sure it was working. 2 of the drive screws had to be accessed by going through the fan blades, as far as I could see there was no way to separate the fan assembly from the drive mount. What a pain, getting those screws back in will be a serious test of my patience (and dexterity)!

#79 OFFLINE   xosux

xosux

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

I have a HR21-100 and did everything to the letter but i get
xfsrestore: ERROR: no source file(s) specified.
I have the latest gparted 4.6.1. and checked 50 times to make sure that the new is sda and old is sdb. I don't know what else to try can any one please help a brother out.

Edit
I feel stupid i was putting xfsdump -J- /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J- /mnt/fap instead of xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap is was that space after the J looks like no space on my screen. It's going through and copying now thanks guys for this great thread.

Edited by xosux, 24 September 2009 - 11:12 PM.

#80 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

This weekend I plan on moving the data and information from my 750 gb external to a 1.5 TB external. Am I correct in saying that I should do the following:

1 - Perform a "graceful power down" with the original external
2 - Re-boot with the new external attached.
3 - Perform a "graceful power down" with the new external
4 - Execute the copying using the gparted software, etc.

I am just a bit confused with the graceful power down steps needed prior to copying.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...