Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (598 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (414 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

This weekend I plan on moving the data and information from my 750 gb external to a 1.5 TB external. Am I correct in saying that I should do the following:

1 - Perform a "graceful power down" with the original external
2 - Re-boot with the new external attached.
3 - Perform a "graceful power down" with the new external
4 - Execute the copying using the gparted software, etc.

I am just a bit confused with the graceful power down steps needed prior to copying.

You are correct. Both drives must experience the “graceful power down” before you proceed.
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

Summary: Can I use this copy process (see below) to copy 2 original drives (each with different recorded content) to 1 new one?

I would try it and report back. I believe it will work. I accidentally copied to a non-empty drive while playing with the xfs tools and I saw both sets recordings in the list upon reboot. I can't remember whether I tried playing from both though.

I confirmed that this will work (at least in my simple test). I connected a 750GB Western Digital drive to an HR21-100, booted, and recorded a program on it. I then rebooted with a 750GB Free Agent Pro and recorded a program on it. I used the xfsdump/xfsrestore procedure to copy the WD contents to the FAP. When I rebooted with the FAP, both programs were listed and playable. I then used the procedure to copy the combined contents from the FAP back to the WD. When I rebooted with the WD each program was listed only once, and they were both playable. If anyone tries this with many programs recorded on both drives please report back.

#83 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I seem to have the 2 drives mounted since I can see that in the gparted GUI. Both are mounted at sda2 or sdb2. When I go to run the copy command (with xfsdump and xfsrestore) I get a restore error which just prints out a list of the possible xfsrestore syntax in a list (-a, -b, etc) and says "restore error."

Any clue what's going on here?

Edit:
I retyped the command for the 3rd time and now it seems to be copying.

Edited by dminches, 26 September 2009 - 03:34 PM.
update post

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR20-100s (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR20-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
HR20-100 - owned (2 TB internal)

#84 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

I went through the whole process which took 90-120 minutes. When I hooked up the new drive to the HR20 I had nothing there. No recordings, nothing on the to do list. I guess I'll try it again, but does anyone have any thoughts on what may have happened. When I re-hooked up the original drive everything was still there.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR20-100s (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR20-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
HR20-100 - owned (2 TB internal)

#85 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:42 AM

The HR20 could be defaulting to the internal drive. You may be able to tell, depending on whether or not you had any recordings on the internal drive. Make sure the new external drive is powered up and ready before you boot the HR20.

#86 OFFLINE   tmtech

tmtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

I don't want to be dumb but just checking to see if I have this right.

If I don't care about preserving content or to do lists I can take a blank drive and install it in the hr22-100 and when I boot it up it takes care of formatting the drive and installing the DTV software?

#87 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

I don't want to be dumb but just checking to see if I have this right.

If I don't care about preserving content or to do lists I can take a blank drive and install it in the hr22-100 and when I boot it up it takes care of formatting the drive and installing the DTV software?

That's correct. If you just want more storage capacity, and don't want to preserve existing recordings, plug the drive in and the DVR takes care of the rest.

That being said, plugging it in is much easier with eSATA than replacing the internal drive, and by opening the cover of a leased receiver you violate the terms of the user agreement. It is your call what to do.

#88 OFFLINE   tmtech

tmtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

That's correct. If you just want more storage capacity, and don't want to preserve existing recordings, plug the drive in and the DVR takes care of the rest.

That being said, plugging it in is much easier with eSATA than replacing the internal drive, and by opening the cover of a leased receiver you violate the terms of the user agreement. It is your call what to do.

True. I would just prefer not to have an external box to have stacked up with the rest of the gear. I'm used to the Tivo way where you need to load everything up on the drive before you do the install. Sticking that functionality into the smarts of the box makes a lot of sense and am glad they went that route.

Thanks for the help! :)

#89 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

Ive read through the posts but what I'm not sure of is once I replace one of those no spin up drives with a larger drive inside the DVR how do I get that drive to act normal so I can toss it in a computer? It is a 500gb WD green drive I pulled out of a 22-100. After copying it;s contents to the new drive I reformatted in Gpartted to NTFS but of course with no spin up its not showing up in windows and in the BIOS it shows as blank instead of None. Thanks for any help!

#90 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

Use hdparm with -S0 parameter, while Linux loaded.

#91 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Is that going to fix it permanetly so I can use the drive in Windows? and what part of that command specifies the drive in question?

Edit1
okay so im seeing from google it should be:
/dev/sdf hdparm -S0

as the drive in question is the F drive. Im not finding too much helpful stuff through Google about hdparm such as like a user guide or a command list but I have an ubuntu disk burning now and since the drive is devoid of any valuable data and pretty much extra I have no problem just screwing around till I get something worked out.

Edit2
Well you can go ahead and call me a liar I found the man page eventually in my Google results tough it was entirely unnecessary (except for learning some new stuff) because it took me less than a minute to reboot to the live ubuntu disk and pound the command in, reboot and then see that the drive was now posting properly in the BIOS. Thank you very much P Smith! My RAID 5 array is now up to 2 TB. FYI for anyone else that needs to do this what you are gonna have to type in to the terminal is:

sudo hdparm -S0 /dev/sdx

where x is whatever the drive letter is. Without sudo and you'll get an access denied message thankfully I at least new that much. And I may also recommend that you add those instructions to that first post in case anybody else was unclear about it as I was.

Edited by spazebar, 08 October 2009 - 08:31 PM.
update

#92 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

I want to thank all those that contributed to this thread.

I was able to successfully copy everything from my old esata drive (a 750) to a new Seagate 5900RPM 1.5Tb drive in an Mx-1 enclosure. The copy technique worked exactly as advertised and I now have 66% free instead of 25%. Copy took less than 3 hours for 530gb of data, using a Core 2 Duo Intel PC. Used Gparted 0.4.6.1 to do the job.

Now I can go out of town for a while without worrying about it filling up.

Only downside is, now the DVR (an HR21-100) seems even slower than it was before, and it was no speed demon to begin with. Maybe someday D* will bring out a box with some horsepower. Or maybe that new Tivo . . . :D:D

Keith

#93 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

So I finally found the time I needed to use the drive and it appears that the "hdparm" command didn't stay after powering the computer completely off (previously I had only rebooted or reset). Is hdparm -S0 not suppose to be permanent? If so is there anyway to make this drive conveniently useful outside of using it with Linux? Thanks again for any help folks!

#94 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

It should be permanent; perhaps you have special disk what revert the setting by itself ?

#95 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

And just to make sure, the command I should have typed in was:

sudo hdparm -S0 /dev/sdx

and it shouldn't matter that I'm doing it from a live disk just as long as the distro supports the hdparm command (ubuntu 8.1 and the gparted 0.4.something in this case that I've tried) right?

#96 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

Well, that didn't last long. :mad::mad:

My new Seagate 1.5TB external drive has done the well known Seagate "freeze" twice already in only the first hour of operation. Just flat locks up for 5-15 seconds. You can imagine that this is not good when recording a program.

And here I thought that this problem was specific to the 7200 rpm Barracuda and not the newer 5900; and that it had been fixed a year ago. Silly me.

Running Spinrite level 4 on it now but that will take 27hrs. I can't wait the time it takes to send it back, so it's over to F*ys to get a different drive. I'm thinking maybe the Samsung F2. Then I get to do the copy all over again.

At least I will only lose the two programs that recorded last night, and I have backup recordings of those elsewhere.

Grrrr.

Keith

#97 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

While the your problem is offtopic, I would remind you about AV type of HDD; Hitachi Cinemastar for example. So, if you want HDD for DVR - use AV models.

#98 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

While the your problem is offtopic, I would remind you about AV type of HDD; Hitachi Cinemastar for example. So, if you want HDD for DVR - use AV models.

Well, not completely off topic.:)

I agree about the AV drive; that is what the old one was. Unfortunately, in this case I'm leaving town tomorrow, and the old drive will fill up before I return if I don't expand it. So, I didn't have the time to wait for delivery of an AV drive, and places like Frys don't carry them in the store. So, I rolled the dice. The first roll came up craps. :mad: And now I get to roll again. Wish me luck.

I may decide to change to a proper AV drive after I get back. We'll see how the new one works.

Keith

#99 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

I've got an external 1TB Cavalry that my HR21-100 DVR seems to be having trouble with now...worked...reasonably well for a little over a year, but seems like it's dying now (DVR didn't see it during the last reboot).

I just purchased a 2TB LaCie which should be here tomorrow.

After the LaCie is formatted via the DVR, can I use the described techniques to copy the files between the old and new drive (assuming I can even mount the old drive at all)?

I don't have a machine with 2 eSATA connectors...can I use any interface supported by the drives? Say 1 eSATA and the other either FireWire or USB?

I realize the data transfer times will be slower if I can't use eSATA for both.

Any comments or suggestions here?

Though I'd like to retain the recordings on the old drive, what's most important is all the Season Passes (or whatever DTV is calling them now).

There were also comments about an AV HDD...maybe that's why the Cavalry didn't work so well...how can I tell with the LaCie? This is the one I have on order: LaCie 301343U 2TB Big Disk Quadra eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive

Thanks for any help/tips.

Dish: DirecTV

DVR: HR44/200 w/Antec MX1 & WD 2TB Green
Receiver: Denon AVR-4308CI
TV: LG 60PZ950-UA 59" 1080p HDTV

HMDI from DVR to TV, Digital Audio to Receiver
UPS: Smartpro LCD US1500VA 120V 8OUTLET 5-15P USB DB9 1500 Va
Remote: Logitech Harmony One

Internet: MegaPath/Speakeasy DSL

#100 OFFLINE   kenva

kenva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

I've got an external 1TB Cavalry that my HR21-100 DVR seems to be having trouble with now...worked...reasonably well for a little over a year, but seems like it's dying now (DVR didn't see it during the last reboot).

I just purchased a 2TB LaCie which should be here tomorrow.

After the LaCie is formatted via the DVR, can I use the described techniques to copy the files between the old and new drive (assuming I can even mount the old drive at all)?

I don't have a machine with 2 eSATA connectors...can I use any interface supported by the drives? Say 1 eSATA and the other either FireWire or USB?

I realize the data transfer times will be slower if I can't use eSATA for both.

Any comments or suggestions here?

Though I'd like to retain the recordings on the old drive, what's most important is all the Season Passes (or whatever DTV is calling them now).

There were also comments about an AV HDD...maybe that's why the Cavalry didn't work so well...how can I tell with the LaCie? This is the one I have on order: LaCie 301343U 2TB Big Disk Quadra eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive

Thanks for any help/tips.

Yes when I did it I had my new drive attached to my computer via USB and it worked perfectly.

spam firewall