Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (598 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (414 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

cmeans the fact that that both drives wont be connected to the computer through SATA makes no difference except as you already understand speed of the bus. And as far as "AV HDDs" that is akin to the "Music CD-Rs" or "Movie DVDs" it's marketing speak for charge the suckers more. As Tom's Hardware puts it: outside of benchmarking there is very little appreciable difference between any two given HDDs for general use. This is especially in this type of situation where almost all the HDDs work will be sequential reads and writes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

My current drive, Cavalry 1TB, when I'm able to get to the Now Showing list, does list all the recorded shows, but when I play something, it almost immediately pops up the dialog indicating the show has ended, and gives me the Keep or Delete options.

Is this a problem that might be resolved by copying the data from the bad drive to a new one?

I'm able to mount the old drive via Linux, etc..

I realize I don't have much to loose, but I'd hate to some how transfer over something that's "broken" and impact the new drive.

Dish: DirecTV

DVR: HR44/200 w/Antec MX1 & WD 2TB Green
Receiver: Denon AVR-4308CI
TV: LG 60PZ950-UA 59" 1080p HDTV

HMDI from DVR to TV, Digital Audio to Receiver
UPS: Smartpro LCD US1500VA 120V 8OUTLET 5-15P USB DB9 1500 Va
Remote: Logitech Harmony One

Internet: MegaPath/Speakeasy DSL

#103 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

It is possible the files transferred to a new drive will work, the worst that can happen is none will play on the drive that you transfer then too either, but there isnt anything "bad" that will be on the drive. The data appears to have gotten corrupted on the Calvary(no surprise there), and it may not be recoverable.

#104 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

I've attached a new LaCie 2TB eSATA drive and restarted the DVR. How long should it sit on the "Running receiver self-check..." screen? Been there for almost 20 minutes so far.

Is it formatting the drive...and I just need to be patient? It would be nice if there were an easier way to tell if it's just frozen or in the middle of some sort of task.

The circular light is "chasing around", but there doesn't "appear" to be any disk activity going on (some flashes at the beginning on the external drive but nothing since).

#105 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

I assume you bought the Lacie after reading about successful reports of some in use on your model DVR, I don't remember seeing any but then I'm getting older? Personally the only setup I recommend is the Antec MX-1 and a WD Green, Black, or AV drive...Personally, I dont recommend any of the off the shelf pre-assembled POS's...

#106 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

I hadn't seen that anyone had used it, but neither did I see anyone indicate that it wouldn't work...live and learn.

I've got an Antec MX-1 and WD 2TB Green on order...or do you believe the 2TB won't work?

I've not seen a lot mentioned about 2TB drives, but it's not easy to tell if that's just because of the price or something else.

#107 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

2TB is currently the largest supported drive size for the HR series, something to do with OS kernel limits or something along those lines. Since they keep coming down in price many just say heck with it and buy the biggest they can get..Guys like me up who upgraded storage early on, went to a 500GB, then a 1TB, then a 1.5TB as the price point for drives keeps shifting...

#108 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Find a thread where 3.75 TB storage tested.

#109 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

If I read the same thread you are referring to I believe the OP couldnt validate if he actually was getting all 3.75TB or if it was ignoring everything past 2TB.

#110 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

2TB is currently the largest supported drive size for the HR series, something to do with OS kernel limits or something along those lines. Since they keep coming down in price many just say heck with it and buy the biggest they can get..Guys like me up who upgraded storage early on, went to a 500GB, then a 1TB, then a 1.5TB as the price point for drives keeps shifting...

Find a thread where 3.75 TB storage tested.

The OS in some of the HR2x can support more than 2TB, but the whole package of software can't. At this point 2TB is the limit.

We all know it can be changed, I don't know if it will be. The risk might be more than the benefit. Certainly there are more important things to focus on right now. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#111 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

Successfully upgraded a HR20 to 1.5 TB because of this thread. Thanks so much for collating the procedure Marty.

I'll post a new thread at some point down the line with pictures and some of the minor obstacles I came across. Full credit will, of course, go to this thread.

The DVR only had 3% free when I started. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to copy the data to the new drive. When I was done, the drive had 86% free.

Solid procedure. Thank you.

#112 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I have a 1TB Cavalry that has been spotty since I got it (over a year ago). I used the processes described here to copy the data over to another drive (Seagate FreeAgent Pro, which was in service prior to the Cavalry).

The copy process took a long time (6-7 hours), but mostly because I only had one eSATA connection, and had to use USB for the source drive.

Though the copy process worked without error, the DVR wasn't any happier with the replacement drive. After a restart, I have about a minute to see that everything copied over fine (shows, season passes etc.), and then the DVR restarts and doesn't see the external drive any more.

So...though the copy process worked, what ever is wrong on the disks was copied over during the dup process...

I did go into the Diagnostics Mode of the DVR, but the external drive passed all the tests, including the File System verification (though that part was slow).

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can possibly do to find out what the problem is, and possibly fix it?

Thanks for everyone's help.

#113 OFFLINE   cmeans

cmeans

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

I setup and installed the Antec MX-1 and WD 2TB Green combo with my DVR this afternoon (used the eSATA cable that came with the Antec). Seems to be working just fine. Nice and quiet, and with the drive bay on it's side, I don't see the flashing disk light...which is a nice change from the Cavalry which practically lit the whole room.

Note: I didn't bother trying to duplicate my old drive data, so programming is starting from scratch :(

#114 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

FYI...

I posted a Photo Tutorial of the upgrade I did using these instructions. I can't thank the people in both threads (old & new) enough. It made my job doing it the first time very easy.

I only submitted my thread to include photos and discuss some of the minor obstacles I had to overcome.

Anyway, my thread can be found by following THIS LINK.

#115 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

And just to make sure, the command I should have typed in was:

sudo hdparm -S0 /dev/sdx

and it shouldn't matter that I'm doing it from a live disk just as long as the distro supports the hdparm command (ubuntu 8.1 and the gparted 0.4.something in this case that I've tried) right?

Did you have success yet? If not, you may want to try disabling Power-up in Standby using:
http://sourceforge.n...ron_in_standby/

You can read about it more here:
http://sourceforge.n...5/topic/1655144

Or try this method:
http://www.dbstalk.c...952#post1877952

#116 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Did you have success yet? If not, you may want to try disabling Power-up in Standby using:

Or try this method:

I will give these a shot a soon as the array finishes rebuilding because I finally gave in and just got a new drive. If any of them fix it for me Ill be more than happy to go up to 2TB over five disks. reading over the stuff now thanks very much!

#117 OFFLINE   spazebar

spazebar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

Or try this method:

You sir (or mam) are my hero! Booting to the alternate 1.01 ISO then booting into the gparted disk (just happened to be the first linux live disk on hand) and rerunning the hdparm -s0 /dev/sdx worked perfectly! to double check i shutdown the computer for a few minutes while getting coffee. Loaded into Windows ran my RAID configuration and am now am at 1.825 TB (But of course I'm now waiting for the array to rebuild yet again, but I think I can live with it) Now I think I gotta get a bigger case, the Antec 300 doesn't seem meant to have 8 drives in it and open on its side I don't think is the answer. Thanks once again!!

#118 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

A little bit back I installed an internal 1.5 TB Western Digital WD15EADS into a friend's HR-20. Everything seemed fine but recently he has been reporting issues to me. Some of the problems include:

Temporary Lock-ups

Audio / Video Sync Issues

Pixelation

He said he hasn't noticed any problems with live TV, which I thought was strange because it's being buffered too. Apparently things have gradually gotten worse.

The original drive had 3% free when we started. He's well past the original storage (320 GB) now on the new drive.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#119 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Test the drive by WD diags or MHDD or Victoria - you don't need to remove it, just open a hood and connect long SATA cable to your PC.

#120 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

I started reading over the most recent posts about drive manufacturers and thought I would add my $.02. When I wrote this article back in 2007, I upgraded 2 HR20-700's with 1TB Samsung Spinpoint Drives. They are very quiet and I haven't had a failure or a problem with either drive now for over 2 years. I highly recommend them. These were the first generation 1TB SATA drives from back when they cost a fortune, and they are still rock solid! I have since built a PC with Samsung Spinpoint SATA-II drives, and am still very pleased.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...