Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (614 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (426 votes [69.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.38%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (188 votes [30.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

In your case I would go for direct supervision of local dude or a kid who knows Linux a little. It will take a few minutes for proper start of that long hours copy process.

By short glance you didn't made 'pipe' between two process xfsdump and xfsrestore and stuck there.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Check the other disk copy thread, there seems to be an issue with 0.5.1.1 gparted. 0.4.6.1 works fine.

#153 OFFLINE   brucehappy

brucehappy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

I can confirm that gparted 0.5.1-1 was not working for me at all. It would just hang when starting the dump piped to the restore. I had passed -p 60 to get reports every 60 seconds and ever saw a single one. Killed the partitions, reformatted the new drive, used 0.4.6-1 and all worked perfectly fine.

#154 OFFLINE   MarkGreiner

MarkGreiner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

The problem is that it seemed to stop at "xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files" -- with the cursor on a blank line (i.e., no command prompt). I gave it about 23 hours, and then gave up.

SUCCESS!!! I retried the process, this time using GParted 4.6-1 and connecting the HDDs to internal SATA 0 and 1, rather than eSATA. Not sure which, if not both, changes made the difference--but 6 hrs later I went from a 750 GB drive with 15% free to a spankin' new 2 TB with 72% free.

Very nice, boys (and gals). Very nice.

#155 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

This is boy's sandbox ! ;)

#156 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

have been following over 20 pages of post on upgrading hard drives in HR20. I have a couple of questions that should be obvious to most people but I want to make sure of what I am doing. Many Linux experts have had some troubles doing this procedure correctly and I do not want to waste time by making mistakes.

1. In the Linux syntax: I have a HR21 receiver. I assume that I would replace HR20 with HR21. I could not find any examples of this.

2. In the Linux syntax: I assume fap is a command and the a in fap does not represent a drive letter.

3. One of the most important instruction: "This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step". Can people who have done this successfully help me with the timing of this. One person even listened to the hard drive with a stethoscope. My TV is upstairs and my HR21 is in the basement (IR repeater). Do the LEDs go off immediately after the menu reset? Do I have time to run to the basement (home alone)? How much time passes before I will get those nasty linux errors that everyone is posting about?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

#157 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

'fap' is a folder name here (often ppl using Seagate FreeAgent Pro box)
HR2x - model doesn't matter, but the new disk will work in SAME DVR (!)

#158 OFFLINE   RandCfilm

RandCfilm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

.... 3. One of the most important instruction: "This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step". Can people who have done this successfully help me with the timing of this. One person even listened to the hard drive with a stethoscope. My TV is upstairs and my HR21 is in the basement (IR repeater). Do the LEDs go off immediately after the menu reset? Do I have time to run to the basement (home alone)? How much time passes before I will get those nasty linux errors that everyone is posting about?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

The LED lights take some time to go out, I would suggest to get to the reset screen where it is prompting you to input "-", go downstairs and press the up arrow (recalling from memory here, it will tell you on the screen) on the front panel to start reset of receiver. Wait for the LED lights on the receiver to go out, wait about 2 seconds, you should here the drive power down. I had a few problems pulling the plug right when the lights went out, since I have waited a few seconds after the lights go out I have not encountered the superblock error again.

Good luck,
(2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
(1) HR10-250 800GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.3f
(3) HR21-100
...(1) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
...(1) with AM21 & internal 1TB Seagate
...(1) Stock
RandCfilm

#159 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Attention all Linux programmers: Please help. Everything was going so good until---- :nono:

I am trying to replace a 1 TB external drive with a 2 TB external drive.

One Linux command was hard for me to read correctly. After error messages I found that xfsdump(sp)-j(sp)-(sp)/mnt etc to work.

I was very careful. I did not reverse the sda & sdb. I hooked the old drive back up to the receiver and everything was there.

The first thing that went different from the script was that I did not get the "Formating storage device. Please wait" screen. After the system came back up the list screen said "no programs available" & 100% available. The external hard drive that I bought was pre-formatted in Fat32.

After the xfsdump command everything was going as scripted. The line said "restoring non-directory files". I was almost there. But then:

>utput error: not dumped
>xfsdump: warding could not open regular file ino 40043 (a bunch of these lines with sequential numbers) mode 0x00008led: input/o
>sfsdump: syssgi( sgi_fs_bulkstark ) on fsroot failed: input/output error
>sfsdump: dumpsize (non-dir files) : 4006829920 bytes
>xfsdump: note: dump interrupted: 133 seconds elapsed: may resume later using -R option
>xfsdump: dump status: interupt
>xfs restore: attempt to read 91648 bytes failed: end of recorded data
>xfs restore: restore complete: 133 seconds elapsed
>xfs restore: restore status: success

After this I booted up into windows and looked at the external 2 TB Toshiba eSATA/USB hard drive with a partitioning program. At the front of the disk there is an 11 GB partition that cannot be addressed, deleted or formatted. It must contain some Toshiba proprietary software for use with windows. I wonder if this could be causing the problem. If so is there a linux command that would reformat the entire drive so that I could have the receiver format it for DirecTV? Or is the only option to trade it in for a different HD?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

#160 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just writes 00 to first sector#0 - that would take care of removing everything from the disk.

#161 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Mr. Smith,

I appreciate your help. Do you think the 11 GB partition was the problem?
If so can you give me the Linux command that will write the 00?
Will the DirecTV receiver be able to format the drive after I do this?

Thanks again.

#162 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

fdisk should be sufficient for the purpose

#163 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

When formatting the new 2 TB drive is 512 bytes/sector and 32K cluster size OK? What does the DirecTV receiver format it in?

Again, your help is appreciated. Thank you.

#164 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Don't waste your time for formatting - it will be dumped and DVR will do it by itself regardless what you think is better ;).

#165 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

I'm sorry but also should the allocations size = 4096?
I forgot to include this in the previous post.

#166 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Keep it as 512 bytes.

#167 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

I also thought that the DirecTV receiver would reformat the drive the way it wanted it. After the DirecTV system came back up the list button showed 100% availability. My Linux attempt to copy (see error list) failed. I then booted into Windows 7 and the 11 GB partition was still there and the drive still attempted to load a startup sequence in my computer.

Can't a HD be purged of everything except what is necessary to mount and be recognized by a computer? Do you have any idea what is causing the copy to fail?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you

Bill Detert / Springfield / IL

#168 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Bill, could you give precise description of the your "2 TB Toshiba eSATA/USB hard drive"?
Never heard about Toshiba's 2 TB disks...

#169 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

If so is there a linux command that would reformat the entire drive so that I could have the receiver format it for DirecTV?

Maybe you could try the driver converter tool linked in this thread:
http://www.techsuppo...tb-ext-hdd.html

#170 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Thanks, ntrance

That thread convinced me. I have boxed up my Tosheba drive and I am going to take it back to Best Buy tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

#171 OFFLINE   jondiehl

jondiehl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

NewEgg has a 2TB Western Digital "Green" drive for $139 shipped for those interested.

I have a 1TB drive attached externally now and was thinking of upgrading. Just ordered this drive and I'm guessing the tools/process to transfer everything to my 1TB to the new 2TB is in here, and then I'll format the old 1TB drive and move it to one of my other HD DVR's.
DVR's:
D* HR20-700 (upgraded with an internal 2TB drive)
D* HR21-700 (upgraded with an internal 1TB drive)
D* HR24-500
D* HR24-500

#172 OFFLINE   dduff617

dduff617

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

i'm considering doing and internal swap with a 1, 1.5 or 2GB drive.

anyone have a sense of the prevailing opinion on whether there are certain brands/models of drive i should seek out (or avoid) or is any sata drive ok?

thanks in advance.

#173 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

NewEgg has a 2TB Western Digital "Green" drive for $139 shipped for those interested.

You did not state the Model of the WD Drive.

Do Not Buy The WD20EARS Drive as people have had problems with this particular drive in a DVR Environment!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#174 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

At Fry's Hitachi 2TB was for $109.99 today. Quickly run out in our store. :(

#175 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

I installed Samsung Spinpoints in my two HR20-700's back when I posted this original article in 2007. They're still going strong!

i'm considering doing and internal swap with a 1, 1.5 or 2GB drive.

anyone have a sense of the prevailing opinion on whether there are certain brands/models of drive i should seek out (or avoid) or is any sata drive ok?

thanks in advance.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...