Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (598 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (414 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (184 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

Clambert, just saw your tutorial with photos! Fantastic! I am going to add this to the original post if I am still able to edit it! Thanks again!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:42 PM

My buddy is going to have we wait until after Christmas to look at it again. I'll report my findings, if any.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

#123 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Has anyone used USB cables to perform the copy function form one drive to another? And if so can you detail the process. I really do not want to go digging into the computer if necessary and would like to attempt using USB if possible.

Thx

#124 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

Has anyone used USB cables to perform the copy function form one drive to another? And if so can you detail the process. I really do not want to go digging into the computer if necessary and would like to attempt using USB if possible.

Thx

That's really need "to go digging into the computer" - else you'll end up with EMPTY drives.
Just do that for save you whole day of work and month of frustration.

#125 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thx

If you read through this thread, you'll see that it's not recommended. It's slower and more problems seem to be introduced.

I'm not sure if anyone has successfully done it with 100% recovery or not though.

#126 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

If you read through this thread, you'll see that it's not recommended. It's slower and more problems seem to be introduced.

I'm not sure if anyone has successfully done it with 100% recovery or not though.

I know I am sounding like a computer idiot, but I have seen no detailed instructions on how to actually "hook up" both drives to the computer. That where my confusion is??? Can someone offer any info on exactly how to attach both drives to the computer; SATA 0 & SATA 1??? If I can get by that I think I am in good shape. Do I need additional cables? I have been inside a PC computer more times than I care to count and am fairly comfortable once inside. Just need some detailed guidance.

Thx........

#127 OFFLINE   mikeat

mikeat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Quick question..
If you are starting with a blank DVR is there any need for the copy process?
I just purchased a new HR21 Pro with a 500 gig drive and want to install a 1.5T or 2T drive from the start.

#128 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

No need to copy anything. Put the dirve in. Turn the unit on. It will format the drive and use it.

#129 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Remove the drive from the DVR and attach it to your computer. Attach the new drive to your computer as well. You shouldn't need extra SATA cables. For one drive you can use the cable that's connected to the internal drive of your computer. For the 2nd drive, you can use the cable that is inside the DVR. I just hook them up and let them hang there by the wires while I am doing the copy. Just make sure the electronics on the hard drive do not touch any other metal component so as not to cause a bad circuit. Good luck!

I know I am sounding like a computer idiot, but I have seen no detailed instructions on how to actually "hook up" both drives to the computer. That where my confusion is??? Can someone offer any info on exactly how to attach both drives to the computer; SATA 0 & SATA 1??? If I can get by that I think I am in good shape. Do I need additional cables? I have been inside a PC computer more times than I care to count and am fairly comfortable once inside. Just need some detailed guidance.

Thx........

#130 OFFLINE   mikeat

mikeat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Thank you for the help.

#131 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

I didn't know this could even be done till a few days ago. I actually have 3 of these damn hr21's. Can this procedure be used to merge all three DVR's (or maybe just 2?) program's onto one big new drive?

#132 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

No, but you can merge the the contents of two drives associated with the same DVR (for example, an internal and an external drive) into one larger drive. Playback of recordings is restricted to the DVR they were recorded with, except for OTA recordings.

#133 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Ah. Okay, thanks.

#134 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

forgive the cross post with the thread containing the photo tutorial...

I tried the MX-1 (formatted and setup and everything) but the fan on the MX-1 is a bit too loud for my taste. I'm planning on going down the road of installing the drive internally now. Can I just skip the formatting stage and go straight to the Gparted copy process? or will I need to reformat the drive now that I plan to locate inside the HR21 and no longer in the MX-1?

thanks

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#135 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

You're already using the MX1 on the DVR, right? It has recordings on it? If that's so, just take the drive out of the MX1, install it internally, and turn on the DVR. It should work. There is no difference in the external connection and the internal connection. They are both SATA. Therefore it will still see your drive same as before whether external or internal.

forgive the cross post with the thread containing the photo tutorial...

I tried the MX-1 (formatted and setup and everything) but the fan on the MX-1 is a bit too loud for my taste. I'm planning on going down the road of installing the drive internally now. Can I just skip the formatting stage and go straight to the Gparted copy process? or will I need to reformat the drive now that I plan to locate inside the HR21 and no longer in the MX-1?

thanks

#136 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for that.

I guess my point is this (and I should have made myself more clear), my original plan was to install the drive internally, but then I asked myself whether my freezup problems really were HD problems, so I opted to do the MX-1 install instead of "cracking the seal" The drive is a bit loud, too, for my taste. After a couple of days without freezing (I hope) I want to put the bad-boy inside AND copy over all my settings from the existing internal. (Trying to increase the W.A.F., and not have to have her setup all her shows again. Already, last night, she was freaking out that American Idol was not in the guide...yet. I told her it would populate the guide over the weekend..yadda, yadda, yadda)

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#137 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

As long as you own your dvrs and are not leasing them this is doable and allowed by Directv's TOS agreement. If you dont own them, its advisable to leave MX-1 that way it is.

#138 OFFLINE   Skypalace

Skypalace

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

I've seen in another thread (on recommended eSATA drives) that eSATA drives don't seem to work reliably on HR20-100.

Is this limited to the eSATA interface or does it apply to the same drives connected (replaced) w/ internal SATA? In particular I'm looking to expand and was thinking of doing it the easy way with an Antec MX-1 enclosure and a Western Digital WD20EADS Green drive.

Would be nice to keep recordings but I could live either way, I'd likely copy but keep the existing internal drive in case the external drive has issues, then I can disconnect the eSata and still use receiver with existing internal drive. My main Q is:

Is this correct that eSATA attachment on HR20-100 is problematic? If so, does internal replacement of the existing drive work fine?

In more technical terms, I guess I'm wondering if the problem is due to the use of eSata itself, or if it's because the HR20-100 is particularly picky about the size or specific features of the drive, so it's basically cranky about larger/different drives period, whether eSATA or internal SATA.

#139 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Actually, all drives are SATA; eSATA is just a cable and connectors outside of DVR and HDD enclosure. MX-1 is best choice because of a chip inside of it and what is working at 1.5 Gbps max.
The forum is full of info regarding different DVRs and external drives in many many configurations, it's impractical to start answering same question - I would say it would be full time job to compile all written info here into a digest. ;)

#140 OFFLINE   Skypalace

Skypalace

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Right, I know what eSATA is, but it's of course a second SATA connection, perhaps on the HR20's there are problems on device 1 vs. device 0.

I have HR20-100 and HR20-700 and have seen comments that eSATA does not work on HR20-100, just trying to get real-life answer on internal SATA replacement on HR20-100, or either in-box or eSATA or HR20-700, as the majority of posts are on newer boxes.

I've spent plenty of time looking around, as you say info is spread around, I'm not asking for a digest, just an answer to a Q that I wasn't able to find offhand. My apologies if it's been answered and I've just been unable to find it, or saw it but didn't catch it in the many many hundreds of posts I've gone through.

spam firewall