Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to: Copy and Replace Internal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

Poll: I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended (602 member(s) have cast votes)

I have read the disclaimer and I understand that this process in NOT recommended

1. YES - I agree I will not tamper with my leased equipment (417 votes [69.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.27%

2. NO - I agree to accept full financial responsibility for breaking my Customer Agreement (185 votes [30.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Right, I know what eSATA is, but it's of course a second SATA connection, perhaps on the HR20's there are problems on device 1 vs. device 0.

I have HR20-100 and HR20-700 and have seen comments that eSATA does not work on HR20-100, just trying to get real-life answer on internal SATA replacement on HR20-100, or either in-box or eSATA or HR20-700, as the majority of posts are on newer boxes.

I've spent plenty of time looking around, as you say info is spread around, I'm not asking for a digest, just an answer to a Q that I wasn't able to find offhand. My apologies if it's been answered and I've just been unable to find it, or saw it but didn't catch it in the many many hundreds of posts I've gone through.

I have done 3 hr-20's and all work fine with the internal drive replaced, on all of them I just replaced the drive with a new unformatted drive 750 gb drive (super easy) then just last week, replaced the drive again copy over the data to a new 1.5tb drive.

I did an hr-23 drive replacement with copy and it was the same process as the hr-20

The only differences in the 100 vs 700 series is color.

It is pretty idiot proof.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   kelvane

kelvane

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have the HR20-100 and want to replace the original internal HD with a WD10EADS bare drive. However, I've been reading this and the original post since this morning and I'm a little confused. First the procedure says:

10) You need to install the new drive into the HR20 temporarily and power it up. Let the HR20 format the drive and then shut it back down. This is important because you have to write down the partition information from the new drive.
11) Now is the fun part. Hook your new drive and current internal drive up to a computer with a SATA interface.

Then a bit later:

Step 1 – Let the HR20 format the new ESATA drive.

a) Shut down the HR20
B) Connect the ESATA drive & turn it on.
c) Restart the HR20
d) Confirm that the HR20 is now using the ESATA drive instead of the internal drive.

Step 2 - Perform a “graceful power down”

a) This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step – the linux mount commands will fail with a “Can’t read from Superblock” error if this step isn’t taken. It is imperative that both drives experience a “graceful power down” while connected to the HR20.
B) After the HR20 is powered off, turn off the ESATA drive and remove the bare drive from the ESATA enclosure.

Step 3 – Connect the drives to the PC & copy.

Why would I have to "install the new drive into the HR20 temporarily" if I have an eSATA enclosure? And it looks like the drive is formatted twice, once when installed as an internal drive in 10) and a second time as an external drive in Step 1 (which comes after step 10?)

Also, I don't see a reference as to what I'm supposed to do with "the partition information from the new drive" after I've written it down.

So, do I need an external enclosure or not? I was hoping to avoid the extra $$ for the enclosure if possible. I mean, the whole point is to replace the existing drive with a new one right?

#143 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

You dont need to use an enclosure, but if you want to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive, a graceful shutdown needs to be performed on the old drive, the new drive needs to be put in, and a graceful shutdown needs to be performed on it as well b4 the copy process can begin. If you dont own your HR, I highly recommend using an eSATA solution, because as renters we have no rights to open the box...

#144 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

Right, I know what eSATA is, but it's of course a second SATA connection, perhaps on the HR20's there are problems on device 1 vs. device 0.

I have HR20-100 and HR20-700 and have seen comments that eSATA does not work on HR20-100, just trying to get real-life answer on internal SATA replacement on HR20-100, or either in-box or eSATA or HR20-700, as the majority of posts are on newer boxes.

I've spent plenty of time looking around, as you say info is spread around, I'm not asking for a digest, just an answer to a Q that I wasn't able to find offhand. My apologies if it's been answered and I've just been unable to find it, or saw it but didn't catch it in the many many hundreds of posts I've gone through.

Well, I used a Calvary 750 gig eSATA on my HR20-100 for about a year and it worked perfectly until the fan in the enclosure died and caused some lockups due to heat.

I took the bare drive out of the enclosure and put it into an MX1 and it worked perfectly for another 18 months or so until the fan inside my HR20-100 started making hellacious noise due to bearing failure.

Since I had to open the HR20 to fix the fan, I went ahead while I was at it and replaced the stock drive with the drive from the eSATA and it still works perfectly.

The one thing I did do right from the befginning is cut about 1/8" off the mating surface of the connector to allow the actual metal connector part to make sure it fully went into the port on the HR20-200. I think many of the issues with eSATA on these boxes stem from that. The MB is just a touch too far in the box and the connector will not seat fully. The eSATA connector is probably second to the HDMI connector for suckitude IMO.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#145 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

You dont need to use an enclosure, but if you want to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive, a graceful shutdown needs to be performed on the old drive, the new drive needs to be put in, and a graceful shutdown needs to be performed on it as well b4 the copy process can begin. If you dont own your HR, I highly recommend using an eSATA solution, because as renters we have no rights to open the box...

The graceful shutdown is not needed, if you get the "can't read superblock" error use the xfs_repair command xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 (where ? is the letter of the drive with the error)

#146 OFFLINE   kelvane

kelvane

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Thanks CCarncross and davel for the clarifications.

I have been able to successfully mount both drives (several times), sometimes dealing with the superblock issue, sometimes not, but I am struggling to get the xfsdump|xfsrestore to complete. The last attempt was still 'running' after almost 6 hours.

I'm starting to wonder now whether the issues are with the PC. In all my attempts the old drive has NEVER been detected during POST but the new drive is always detected regardless of what sata port/cable combination i try. At first, I wasn't too concerned because linux and gparted saw them both ok and I was able to mount them both. Also, I do see 'errors' when I boot like:

"Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block xxxxx" (always hda regardless of which drive is in sata port0)

and

hd Command Error: DriveReady SeekComplete Error

but, again, I didn't worry too much about these either because they repeat a few times and then boot continues and once in gparted everything seems ok.

I decided, after trying to run the copy several times and it not finishing, that I would add the -v trace option to the xfsrestore command to try and see what was going on. This is the command as I modified it:

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J -v trace - /mnt/fap

Once I get the dump/restore started it runs for a few seconds and looks like it's copying over logs, etc.

Then, it seems to hang on what looks like the first 'recorded' file:
xfsrestore: restoring viewer/segments/Rcrd-06-23-2009-0410-59-6170-ch9980-min65535-src2.mpg/0000000000000000000 (168 116)
xfsrestore: restoring regular file ino 168 viewer/segments/Rcrd-06-23-2009-0410-59-6170-ch9980-min65535-src2.mpg/0000000000000000000
xfsrestore: truncating viewer/segments/Rcrd-06-23-2009-0410-59-6170-ch9980-min65535-src2.mpg/0000000000000000000 from 0 to 16777216

Does any of this make sense to anybody?

Thanks

#147 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about the old [06-23-2009] file - it's come from ch9980, perhaps something what not you commanded.

#148 OFFLINE   kelvane

kelvane

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about the old [06-23-2009] file - it's come from ch9980, perhaps something what not you commanded.

Ok. That's fine but it will not get past that file. I have let it sit for hours like that. Shouldn't it just copy everything over?

#149 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

For start I would run fsck after mounting the disk, then I would deleted the mentioned file.

#150 OFFLINE   MarkGreiner

MarkGreiner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

I followed the step carefully, and everything looked identical in GParted (except for the size of the new HDD) as posted in the tutorial:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

The process then started, and I got similar (if not identical) xfsdump and xfsrestore messages returned on the command line as I've seen posted in these threads. The problem is that it seemed to stop at "xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files" -- with the cursor on a blank line (i.e., no command prompt). I gave it about 23 hours, and then gave up. But, then, I wasn't even sure how to "give up." I entered the "umount" commands, but the lines I entered them on were blank, (again, no command prompt). I don't think that entering umount did anything. I typed "exit," but then again, I wasn't at a true command prompt, so that didn't do anything either. I closed down the terminal box (clicked on the window's X box), double clicked on the Exit icon and told GParted to shut down. It accepted the command (I could see that when I closed down the GUI), but it wouldn't shut down.

I know NOTHING about Linux (it scares the cr*p out of me), but I know Windows quite well; and I build my own PCs, so I know something about hardware.

I downloaded an ISO copy of gparted-live-0.5.1-1 and booted from the CD I burned with that. I noted a bunch of errors posted as GParted was loading (again, I know nothing about Linux or GParted), but it seemed to run fine once the GUI came up.

Also, I didn't physically install the SATA drives into my PC, but kept them in their respective external drive housing and connected both by eSATA. GParted didn't seem to have a problem with this and reported them as sda and sdb, just like the instructions said.

So anyway, I guess I should just try the whole process again, unless someone sees something amiss with what I did above. Fortunately, I did no harm and both HDDs still work with my HR20-100; although the new HDD does not have any programming on it from the old drive.

Any thoughts as to what went wrong? How should I kill the Terminal window process should the whole thing hang again?

Also, I think that I should redo the HR20 setup/format of the new drive, since I don't know what may have been copied over to it in the failed attempt. I saw mention in these threads of using the fdisk command -- can I do this from Windows 7, or should I do it in GParted. If I have to do it from GParted, I would need some specific instructions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Regards

Mark

#151 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

In your case I would go for direct supervision of local dude or a kid who knows Linux a little. It will take a few minutes for proper start of that long hours copy process.

By short glance you didn't made 'pipe' between two process xfsdump and xfsrestore and stuck there.

#152 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Check the other disk copy thread, there seems to be an issue with 0.5.1.1 gparted. 0.4.6.1 works fine.

#153 OFFLINE   brucehappy

brucehappy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

I can confirm that gparted 0.5.1-1 was not working for me at all. It would just hang when starting the dump piped to the restore. I had passed -p 60 to get reports every 60 seconds and ever saw a single one. Killed the partitions, reformatted the new drive, used 0.4.6-1 and all worked perfectly fine.

#154 OFFLINE   MarkGreiner

MarkGreiner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

The problem is that it seemed to stop at "xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files" -- with the cursor on a blank line (i.e., no command prompt). I gave it about 23 hours, and then gave up.

SUCCESS!!! I retried the process, this time using GParted 4.6-1 and connecting the HDDs to internal SATA 0 and 1, rather than eSATA. Not sure which, if not both, changes made the difference--but 6 hrs later I went from a 750 GB drive with 15% free to a spankin' new 2 TB with 72% free.

Very nice, boys (and gals). Very nice.

#155 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

This is boy's sandbox ! ;)

#156 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

have been following over 20 pages of post on upgrading hard drives in HR20. I have a couple of questions that should be obvious to most people but I want to make sure of what I am doing. Many Linux experts have had some troubles doing this procedure correctly and I do not want to waste time by making mistakes.

1. In the Linux syntax: I have a HR21 receiver. I assume that I would replace HR20 with HR21. I could not find any examples of this.

2. In the Linux syntax: I assume fap is a command and the a in fap does not represent a drive letter.

3. One of the most important instruction: "This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step". Can people who have done this successfully help me with the timing of this. One person even listened to the hard drive with a stethoscope. My TV is upstairs and my HR21 is in the basement (IR repeater). Do the LEDs go off immediately after the menu reset? Do I have time to run to the basement (home alone)? How much time passes before I will get those nasty linux errors that everyone is posting about?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

#157 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

'fap' is a folder name here (often ppl using Seagate FreeAgent Pro box)
HR2x - model doesn't matter, but the new disk will work in SAME DVR (!)

#158 OFFLINE   RandCfilm

RandCfilm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

.... 3. One of the most important instruction: "This is achieved by doing a menu reset and disconnecting the HR20’s power just at the point when all the LED lights go off. This is a crucial step". Can people who have done this successfully help me with the timing of this. One person even listened to the hard drive with a stethoscope. My TV is upstairs and my HR21 is in the basement (IR repeater). Do the LEDs go off immediately after the menu reset? Do I have time to run to the basement (home alone)? How much time passes before I will get those nasty linux errors that everyone is posting about?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

The LED lights take some time to go out, I would suggest to get to the reset screen where it is prompting you to input "-", go downstairs and press the up arrow (recalling from memory here, it will tell you on the screen) on the front panel to start reset of receiver. Wait for the LED lights on the receiver to go out, wait about 2 seconds, you should here the drive power down. I had a few problems pulling the plug right when the lights went out, since I have waited a few seconds after the lights go out I have not encountered the superblock error again.

Good luck,
(2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
(1) HR10-250 800GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.3f
(3) HR21-100
...(1) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
...(1) with AM21 & internal 1TB Seagate
...(1) Stock
RandCfilm

#159 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Attention all Linux programmers: Please help. Everything was going so good until---- :nono:

I am trying to replace a 1 TB external drive with a 2 TB external drive.

One Linux command was hard for me to read correctly. After error messages I found that xfsdump(sp)-j(sp)-(sp)/mnt etc to work.

I was very careful. I did not reverse the sda & sdb. I hooked the old drive back up to the receiver and everything was there.

The first thing that went different from the script was that I did not get the "Formating storage device. Please wait" screen. After the system came back up the list screen said "no programs available" & 100% available. The external hard drive that I bought was pre-formatted in Fat32.

After the xfsdump command everything was going as scripted. The line said "restoring non-directory files". I was almost there. But then:

>utput error: not dumped
>xfsdump: warding could not open regular file ino 40043 (a bunch of these lines with sequential numbers) mode 0x00008led: input/o
>sfsdump: syssgi( sgi_fs_bulkstark ) on fsroot failed: input/output error
>sfsdump: dumpsize (non-dir files) : 4006829920 bytes
>xfsdump: note: dump interrupted: 133 seconds elapsed: may resume later using -R option
>xfsdump: dump status: interupt
>xfs restore: attempt to read 91648 bytes failed: end of recorded data
>xfs restore: restore complete: 133 seconds elapsed
>xfs restore: restore status: success

After this I booted up into windows and looked at the external 2 TB Toshiba eSATA/USB hard drive with a partitioning program. At the front of the disk there is an 11 GB partition that cannot be addressed, deleted or formatted. It must contain some Toshiba proprietary software for use with windows. I wonder if this could be causing the problem. If so is there a linux command that would reformat the entire drive so that I could have the receiver format it for DirecTV? Or is the only option to trade it in for a different HD?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

#160 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just writes 00 to first sector#0 - that would take care of removing everything from the disk.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...