Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Satellite Grounding Question

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hey guys. My new sat system was installed about a week ago or so. I'm sure the guy didn't ground the system. We discussed it briefly. There doesn't appear to be a grounding point in the area where my dish has to be installed. The electrical boxes and such that are outside of the building are on the other side and upwards...(building is on a hill). What options do I have to have it grounded....if there is any. I know the thing where if a ground rod was installed that it is supposed to be bonded to the building's ground. Is there a distance thing to consider between rods? There are several buildings in the this neighborhood close together...would they have their own grounding source? If so, how would each not conflict with the building next door? I'm sure I have already experienced an issue due to static. The other day, there were strong winds and at one point, my DSL went out (connected to the DVR through router and ethernet cable), and both of my DVRs reset. My DSL is now fine after a reset of the modem. I would appreciate some input without the usual grounding arguing. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hey guys. My new sat system was installed about a week ago or so. I'm sure the guy didn't ground the system. We discussed it briefly. There doesn't appear to be a grounding point in the area where my dish has to be installed. The electrical boxes and such that are outside of the building are on the other side and upwards...(building is on a hill). What options do I have to have it grounded....if there is any. I know the thing where if a ground rod was installed that it is supposed to be bonded to the building's ground. Is there a distance thing to consider between rods? There are several buildings in the this neighborhood close together...would they have their own grounding source? If so, how would each not conflict with the building next door? I'm sure I have already experienced an issue due to static. The other day, there were strong winds and at one point, my DSL went out (connected to the DVR through router and ethernet cable), and both of my DVRs reset. My DSL is now fine after a reset of the modem. I would appreciate some input without the usual grounding arguing. Thanks.

is there a water pipe near the sat lines?
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

is there a water pipe near the sat lines?

I believe there is a outside faucet nearby and I believe that is it. LOL

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

I believe there is a outside faucet nearby and I believe that is it. LOL

as long as the water pipe is all metal (no plastic) it can be used as a ground source

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Strong winds can cause "Static Electricity Buildup" which can disrupt your phone line, DSL, DVRs, etc. I would definitely get it grounded properly as that can be dangerous and cause alot of problems.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

All you have to do is call DirecTV and open a service call. Just tell them that your recently installed system is not grounded. They take the issue of proper grounding very seriously.

You don't have to get into all of the details with them on the phone. The installer or the supervisor is required to follow up and resolve the problem. Usually they are from a contract company called Mastec. They will correct the problem.

bt-rtp
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#7 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

I'm sure I have already experienced an issue due to static. The other day, there were strong winds and at one point, my DSL went out (connected to the DVR through router and ethernet cable), and both of my DVRs reset. My DSL is now fine after a reset of the modem.

Strong winds can cause "Static Electricity Buildup" which can disrupt your phone line, DSL, DVRs, etc. I would definitely get it grounded properly as that can be dangerous and cause alot of problems.

Strong winds also have a nasty affect on suspended power and comminication lines.
Properly terminated coax will prevent any static buildup on the sat system. The Dish grounding is for protection from lightning energy.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

that being said, it takes a heck of a strong wind to blow stray and unused electrons off of the overhead power lines.

you get better results connecting about a thousand pounds of air pressure to the head end of a cable system to blow the old and stale electrons out of the cable system.

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

. The Dish grounding is for protection from lightning energy.

If lightning were to strike the dish, grounding, or lack of it, would no longer be an issue:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

that being said, it takes a heck of a strong wind to blow stray and unused electrons off of the overhead power lines.

you get better results connecting about a thousand pounds of air pressure to the head end of a cable system to blow the old and stale electrons out of the cable system.

Does it require positive or negative ion charged air?
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#11 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Does it require positive or negative ion charged air?

positive/

When I worked for the cable company, years ago, we used to call customers, and explain that we were blowing out the lines, and to prevent used electrons from scattering all over the house, they should place a paper bag over all their cable boxes. people actually did that, and 2 days later the local cable office would get a rash of calls asking if they could remove the paper bags.

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

[quote name='curt8403']positive/

When I worked for the cable company, years ago, we used to call customers, and explain that we were blowing out the lines, and to prevent used electrons from scattering all over the house, they should place a paper bag over all their cable boxes. people actually did that, and 2 days later the local cable office would get a rash of calls asking if they could remove the paper bags.[/QUOT

I just remembered I need to change the air in my tires:)

Happy New Year!
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#13 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

Strong winds also have a nasty affect on suspended power and comminication lines.
Properly terminated coax will prevent any static buildup on the sat system. The Dish grounding is for protection from lightning energy.

I'm not the smartest guy on the block, lol, when you refer to properly terminating coax, you talking about plugging the lines into a surge protector of some kind, if not, what were you referring to?

#14 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

If lightning were to strike the dish, grounding, or lack of it, would no longer be an issue:)

In other words, ground or no ground, your stuff and possibly other things are fried anyway by a lightning strike...right?

#15 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

It's called a "ground block". It has a copper wire that is connected to a ground rod or a copper water supply pipe.

bt-rtp
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

#16 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

It's called a "ground block". It has a copper wire that is connected to a ground rod or a copper water supply pipe.

bt-rtp

You answering my question on coax term?

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

In other words, ground or no ground, your stuff and possibly other things are fried anyway by a lightning strike...right?

All grounding typically will control is static build up. Proper grounding will keep all common electrical devices bonded together and prevent chain reactions from occurring if a device incurs internal shorting to ground. Surge protectors, USB's and essentially any aftermarket devices will not protect you, or your equipment, from a lightning strike.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#18 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

All grounding typically will control is static build up. Proper grounding will keep all common electrical devices bonded together and prevent chain reactions from occurring if a device incurs internal shorting to ground. Surge protectors, USB's and essentially any aftermarket devices will not protect you, or your equipment, from a lightning strike.

That is what I thought, lightning strike.....ground or no ground, you're screwed anyway, lol. If for some reason grounding outside will not be possible, will coax surge protectors be okay for the static?

#19 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

That is what I thought, lightning strike.....ground or no ground, you're screwed anyway, lol. If for some reason grounding outside will not be possible, will coax surge protectors be okay for the static?

no, they do not drain static, nor meet code.
is there a multiswitch in the system? it can be used as a ground block

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

It depends how far away the lightning strike is. A friend of mine who lives north of here had a strike 1/2 mile from his house and alot of his neighbors all had their equipment fried but he didn't because he is on surge protection. It all depends upon the intensity of the strike.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall