Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiswitch Question

wgn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffro7

jeffro7

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Right now I have a 5 LNB dish. I have 1 receiver downstairs and 3 receivers upstairs. I'd like to add a 4th receiver upstairs. I'm kind of a DIY'er and won't always have all 4 upstairs receivers activated at the same time, so I'm not really interested in calling DirecTV installation right now.

Question is - can I just take the lines for the 3 upstairs receivers and tie them into a 3X4 multiswitch, resulting in 4 upstairs receives? Obviously, I'll have some wiring to do so that I can have all 3 original lines come together at a single point for the multiswitch. Asked another way, do the 3 lines that go into the multiswitch have to be certain ones, or can they just be any random 3 coming off the dish?

Thanks very much in advance..

Oh..I'm considering a SWM solution too but don't feel like upgrading my receivers for the same reason mentioned above.

Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

You will need a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch. The four lines from the satelite into the multiswitch and the run the out ports to the receivers. You would be able to have up to 8 with this multiswitch. The 3x4 wont work for your situation.

Edited by jasonki32, 30 December 2008 - 06:17 PM.
Spelling

HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#3 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

what receiver(s) are you using? If you are just using SD receiver(s) and you don't have any locals on 119 then you should be able to use just 2 lines into a multiswitch. Any HD receiver tho will required 4 lines into a zinwell wb68 switch.

#4 OFFLINE   jeffro7

jeffro7

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thanks so far! Just using D10's and D11's. No HD. I am wanting locals in Cincinnati but am not sure if those are on 119. Can I still get away with a simple multiswitch?

Jeff

#5 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

I'm almost positive your locals are on 101.....which means (I think) you could get away with the solution posted above.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

A 3x4 switch (2 sat inputs and 4 outputs) will work fine FOR NOW, but keep in mind that future upgrades will likely require that it is changed to a more standard config.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffro7

jeffro7

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...