Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intelligence in the SWM LNB?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

In the installation video for the SWM LNB it states that if you connect a receiver to the LNB prior to peaking your antenna aiming, you will not be able to peak your aiming, since the receiver takes the LNB "out of setup mode".
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:35 PM

In the installation video for the SWM LNB it states that if you connect a receiver to the LNB prior to peaking your antenna aiming, you will not be able to peak your aiming, since the receiver takes the LNB "out of setup mode".
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks

Makes zero sense.
I've used my receiver to align my dish several times with my SWMLNB & I've started with zero signal.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

I think the SWM LNB will output a non-SWM signal if you only hook a meter up to it, and not a receiver. This allows you to align the dish using a regular meter. Once you connect the receiver, the LNB switches into SWM mode and a regular meter will no longer show signal.

I'm not sure, but I would guess if you totally remove power from the LNB, and again set it up using only a meter, that it would again go into alignment mode until a receiver is connected.

With a receiver connected, you can use the signal screens to peak alignment, but not a regular meter at the dish.

#4 OFFLINE   mark44

mark44

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

ahh ha. That makes sense. Thanks!

spam firewall