Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR feature on 211/211k receivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frankv

frankv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress? How about the currently recording program (not live)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   frankv

frankv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

Never mind, should have searched first, answer is yes to both. Got frustrated with Dish CSRs, here's their answer:

You have been connected to (01) Raquel R.
(01) Raquel R: Welcome to Dish Network, the leader in HD and DVR services. How may I assist you in your buying experience?
Frank: hi, I have a question re: the DVR feature on the 211 receivers
(01) Raquel R: Thank you for letting me know.
Frank: Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress?
(01) Raquel R: Just to verify, are you an existing customer?
Frank: no
(01) Raquel R: May I know what are your concerns?
Frank: Is it possible to watch a previous recording while a new recording is in progress?
(01) Raquel R: Please give me a moment to research that information for you. This may take a few minutes.
(01) Raquel R: Thank you for waiting.
(01) Raquel R: The 211 is not a DVR, it's just an HD receiver.
(01) Raquel R: It can hook up 1 HD TV.

#3 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

The 211 (and 211K) is in fact a DVR..... well, to be clear, it can be easily converted to a DVR. All you do is plug in an appropriately sized external hard drive between 50 (minimum) and 750 gigs (maximum) in size, call up Dish Network and pay a one time fee. Nothing else, no other fees.

And to answer your specific question, yes you can watch one program and record another provided one is OTA and the other is on satellite. The issue or limitation here is the 211 has only 1 satellite tuner and only 1 OTA tuner.

The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

spam firewall