Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changes to local channels tomorrow in many areas

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Just a heads up that there will be some changes to some local channels tomorrow due to stations declining Must Carry or opting in for Must Carry.

This means a handful of stations will be removed on January 1, 2009. It also means a handful of stations have elected Must Carry and will be added to various markets.

In almost all cases, these are independent stations with the exception of one PBS channel in Charleston, WV.

DMAs Adding stations tomorrow

Lexington, KY (WLJC)
Miami, FL (WBEC)
Louisville, KY (WBNA)
Philadelphia, PA (WMCN)

DMAs Losing a station tomorrow

Tampa, FL (WCLF) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
West Palm Beach, FL (WFGC) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
San Francisco, CA (KMTP)
Norfolk, VA (WSKY)
Albuquerque, NM (KRPV)
Mobile, AL (WPAN)
Fairbanks, AK (KJNP)
Dallas, TX (KLDT)
El Paso, TX (KSCE)
Charleston, WV (WKAS)
Harrisburg, PA (WGCB)
Odessa, TX (KMLM)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

As always - thank you!
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#3 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,442 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Thanks much for the info Satelliteracer. :)

Steve

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Satelliteracer!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Larry
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Miami, FL (WBEC) is really an FM station in Pittsfeild, Mass. A new station maybe? I beleive we have all the networks curently in Mia/Ft Laud.

Thanks for all the info Mr Racer

Happy New Year!
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info!
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#7 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hey Satracer could we see some more must carry channels being added also in the near future?such as ones in Chicago illinois including WMEU Channel 48 and Thistv?Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Allen Culver
Streator,Illinois

#8 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

Yes, the 4 markets I mentioned at the top will be added. Remember, a station has to select Must Carry in order to be carried in that fashion. It's not always what a station wants to do. On the specific station you mention, I don't know what their plans are.

#9 OFFLINE   snipes007

snipes007

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

Miami, FL (WBEC) is really an FM station in Pittsfeild, Mass. A new station maybe? I beleive we have all the networks curently in Mia/Ft Laud.

Actually, WBEC is an educational channel owned by the Public School System. Very exciting programming.

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

Actually, WBEC is an educational channel owned by the Public School System. Very exciting programming.

I see that and I am embarrassed as my wife works for Broward County Schools:) Strangely the call letters are also a New England radio station.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#11 OFFLINE   gwar28

gwar28

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

Salt Lake City is apparently losing KJZZ which carries all of the Jazz games. Bad news for Jazz fans.

#12 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Salt Lake City is apparently losing KJZZ which carries all of the Jazz games. Bad news for Jazz fans.

Not all of the Jazz games, only 12 between now and end of the regular season. But I believe the playoffs (at least the first 2 rounds last year) were on KJZZ. This sucks none-the-less. Hopefully D* and Larry Miller get an agreement soon.

#13 OFFLINE   gwar28

gwar28

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

Crystal, You are right. I was just being lazy......

12 out of ~49 games isn't terrible.

------ SMS Text ------
Sent: Dec 31, 2008 3:20 PM
Subject: After Dec.

After Dec. 31, DirecTV will not carry KJZZ TV ch. 14, which includes 12 remaining regular season Jazz games. Call 1-800-531-5000 with questions. Txt END 2 quit
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

All of the playoff games were on Kjzz so Bolerjack could earn some cash.

Wonder if calling would help. I would have thought they would have given us a better warning then 3:20 PM on new years eve.

Greg Miller is in charge now.......

#14 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

In almost all cases, these are independent stations with the exception of one PBS channel in Charleston, WV.

DMAs Losing a station tomorrow

Charleston, WV (WKAS)

This station is not even located in our DMA. So now we are down to 2 PBS stations.

#15 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

o ok, well its good to know its multiple stations and not just WSKY4:confused::confused::(

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#16 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

This station is not even located in our DMA. So now we are down to 2 PBS stations.

That's the Ashland, KY PBS station. It means those of us with DirecTV in eastern Kentucky will no longer get our statewide public network.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#17 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

KET is the statewide PBS/KET affiliate for Ashland, and it also stood in for WKPI in Pikeville, both of which ARE located in the Huntington-Charleston DMA, and WKMR in Morehead which serves part of it from the next county over. The Huntington-Charleston DMA which includes 9 Kentucky counties that account for well over 30% of the DMA's population.

Because so much of Kentucky gets it TV from out of state (Huntington, Cincinnati, Evansville, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and even Bristol, KET is often the only Kentucky station that many people in Kentucky get. While PBS is no loss, I would be happy if the whole PBS network went away and the money was returned to the taxpayers, KET tries hard to help. It has shown Kentucky smaller college basketball and football and UK and UL women's and minor men's sports, and used to carry Louisville NBC news for people who got no Kentucky news.

This makes little sense, since KET has to be uplinked anyway. I also do not understand the law here. It used to be that must-carry applied to PBS unless there were two stations in the same state. In this market, we have WKAS in Kentucky and WPBY in WV, and they get to choose between Ohio U's PBS in Athens (which DirecTV has) or the full power repeater of Ohio State's WOSU in Portsmouth (which DISH has).

But it is typical of how DirecTV treats this market. They were two years late getting locals up and hit the ground without the UPN/WB station which took 2 more years to get on, and they have made no effort to get HD up, in a market 20 places higher than markets that do. All this in the second largest geographic market east of the Mississippi, where many people get NO TV without a dish and either have NO access to cable or cable bandits that are outright criminals. The most natural DBS market in the country.

Bad move.

#18 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

o ok, well its good to know its multiple stations and not just WSKY4:confused::confused::(

I'm curious why these stations are being dropped? Did they simply not file must carry with DirecTV in a timely matter as the case with WSKY? Channel 4 was dropped at 6:02 this morning... :(

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#19 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

got this infomaton from directv this morning and it seems to me the same old thing that they say everytime i email or give them a phone call

Thank you for writing. I'd be happy to assist you today.

At this time we have no information of additional local channels being added to your local channel line up for the Chicago, IL, market. For a full line up of what channels are available, please visit us at directv.com/locals. After entering your ZIP code and selecting your county, you'll be able to view all local channels currently offered by DIRECTV.

While we currently have no plans of adding additional locals channels, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. Whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

I apologize for any frustration this may has caused and for any misinformation you may have received. I appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Yvonne S ID 400467
DIRECTV Customer Service

Make the most of DIRECTV by registering your account on directv.com. You'll learn about exclusive online promotions, new features of DIRECTV and the latest programs and packages. Visit www.directv.com/register today.

Customer (Allen Culver) - 12/30/2008 07:10 PM
good evening how are you doing today?I was talking to a csr this morning about the DTV Transition and he told me over the phone that directv will be adding Chicago local new channels in time for the switch of analog to digitial.when could we find out which channels will be added to our lineup?

Thank you very much.

Allen Culver
Streator,Illinois

[---001:001688:31966---]

#20 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

With an antenna you don't have to worry about losing channels due to contract disputes...........
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...