Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changes to local channels tomorrow in many areas

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

KET is the statewide PBS/KET affiliate for Ashland, and it also stood in for WKPI in Pikeville, both of which ARE located in the Huntington-Charleston DMA, and WKMR in Morehead which serves part of it from the next county over.

Sorry about that. When you go to the station info, it lists the station as being in Lexington.

and they have made no effort to get HD up, in a market 20 places higher than markets that do.

Things there may be a changing:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148850

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

Just a heads up that there will be some changes to some local channels tomorrow due to stations declining Must Carry or opting in for Must Carry.

This means a handful of stations will be removed on January 1, 2009. It also means a handful of stations have elected Must Carry and will be added to various markets.

In almost all cases, these are independent stations with the exception of one PBS channel in Charleston, WV.

DMAs Adding stations tomorrow

Lexington, KY (WLJC)
Miami, FL (WBEC)
Louisville, KY (WBNA)
Philadelphia, PA (WMCN)

DMAs Losing a station tomorrow

Tampa, FL (WCLF) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
West Palm Beach, FL (WFGC) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
San Francisco, CA (KMTP)
Norfolk, VA (WSKY)
Albuquerque, NM (KRPV)
Mobile, AL (WPAN)
Fairbanks, AK (KJNP)
Dallas, TX (KLDT)
El Paso, TX (KSCE)
Charleston, WV (WKAS)
Harrisburg, PA (WGCB)
Odessa, TX (KMLM)

Thanks Satelliteracer. Any update if we'll see more PBS HD stations becoming available soon (maybe this month)? Still waiting for our digital PBS station (WITF) to be added.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Sorry about that. When you go to the station info, it lists the station as being in Lexington.

A lot of states have statewide PBS "networks". Kentucky's is KET, and it has 15 stations all around the state. Other than the automatic voice over for station identification all are really the same station and there are no actual production work done other than at the university (UK in this case). DirecTV guides generally show these stations all as the "flagship" one. WV is in the same situation with three full power and 10 low power repeaters of WV PBS and a similar situation of many parts of the state getting no in-state TV other than PBS. North Carolina's UNC-TV and South Carolina's SCETV are other examples.

#24 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

With an antenna you don't have to worry about losing channels due to contract disputes...........

No, but you can loose them all if you have an ice storm. That's what happened to me two years ago, when I heard a thud late at night and found out the next day that my entire antenna system (TV +separate FM antennas, with rotator) had landed on my roof after a guy wire snapped from the ice.

Needless to say, the repairs were expensive.

#25 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

Same here in NC, we have UNC-TV statewide and in parts of Eastern Tennessee and Virginia and SC.

UNC has 22 stations. Directv uses WUNC from Raleigh NC on Directv for all its NC local markets off the 101 w sat.

UNC has 3 digital over the air channels. UNCTV(hd), UNC KD(kids), UNC NC(north carolina).

Has 2 other channels on digital cable- UNC ED(education), UNC HD(another hd channel).

#26 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

[quote name='Satelliteracer']Just a heads up that there will be some changes to some local channels tomorrow due to stations declining Must Carry or opting in for Must Carry.

What does that mean?

Don't look now but 7 of the 10 being dropped have Christian connections.:eek2:

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Just a heads up that there will be some changes to some local channels tomorrow due to stations declining Must Carry or opting in for Must Carry.

What does that mean?

Means someone didn't fill out the paperwork on time.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

WKAS is still on the air here in Charleston, WV

#29 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Don't look now but 7 of the 10 being dropped have Christian connections.:eek2:

I'm surprised that only 7 of the 10 have "Christian connections." Are the other three solely owned and operated by non-Christians and don't they allow Christians to work for them? If so, someone should get a lawsuit together, as it sounds like a clear case of discrimination.

Happily, I'm sure the vast majority of local channels still carried by DirecTV employ and/or are owned by Christians. In fact, I've seen Christmas specials on the major networks throughout the past month, so I'm doubtful that DirecTV dropping 10 independent local channels had anything to do with them being "Christian connected."

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Folks .. I'd like to point out one of our forum rules now .. please tread lightly, while no lines have been crossed, I'd like to keep it that way:

User Agreement

(u) No posts or threads of a controversial nature are allowed such as those involving politics, sex, race and religion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

Frankly besides the one they dropped, I think that there are at least 2 more independent channels in Albuquerque that could be dropped and no one would even notice!

Also by dropping these channels does that improve the odds of getting PBS in HD? - NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN OVER A YEAR SINCE DIRECTV PROMISED US PBS HD!

Hr21-100 / LG 60" Plasma 1080p
HR21-200 /Samsung 40" LCD HDTV 1080p - Component & Vizio 24" LCD HDTV 1080P - HDMI. (2 room setup with 2 RF controls)
HR20-700 / Samsung 55" LCD HDTV 1080P (HDMI) & Viewsonic 22" LCD HDTV 1080i (component) - Viewsonic also used as PC Monitor.

Directv since 2006

#32 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:12 AM

As for any connections .. I believe the original "Christian" comment was based on programming content. The problem is that the content is irrelevant. The issue here is that there is a process by which stations maintain "must carry" status.

Here is a decision from KNWS in Katy, TX that sent in a request 1 day late (July 2, 2001) and was subsequently denied as "must carry." The decision was basically that KNWS sent their "must-carry election" in too late so it was no longer valid.

On September 24, 2008 the FCC clarified the rules via a Declaratory Order (partially quoted here):

Specifically, we clarify that the carriage elections that must be made by October 1, 2008, will determine a station’s carriage rights throughout the entire 2009-2011 carriage election cycle.

So, essentially, all stations that want to retain "must-carry" status for 2009, 2010 and 2011 .. they needed to send their election in to DIRECTV by October 1, 2008. Apparently a few "new" stations did so and a few "old" stations did not.

#33 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Now, having said that .. I believe that DIRECTV would work with stations and retransmission consent, thus allowing stations back on the air. However, at that juncture, DIRECTV would likely ask for the TV stations to pick up some or all of the costs to get the signal to DIRECTV. Even then there may not be a guarantee if the station is too small because it still takes up bandwidth on the satellite which is one of DIRECTV's biggest constraints.

Re-transmission consent must be negotiated .. while "must carry" is an election that the stations are allowed to make .. BUT .. it must be renewed in a timely manner.

#34 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

I wonder if WMCN in Philly stands for Must Carry Network.

The program guide indicates 100% infomercials.

#35 OFFLINE   mikefeuer

mikefeuer

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

WBEC-TV channel 63 is an educational television station owned by the Broward County Public Schools. The station is licensed in Boca Raton, Florida (within the West Palm Beach television market), with studios and transmitter in Davie (within the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becon
HR-20-700
Samsung HL-R5067W DLP (HDMI)
Bose 3-2-1-GS II (Optical Audio)

#36 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

It's weird to see KMTP 32 gone.

I actually came here to find out what was up.

It's shocking to me that KMTP 32 would decline must carry. They are such a small-time station.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#37 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

I'm surprised to see that WGCB is gone. Not that I ever watched it that often, but it's surprising that they wouldn't fill out their paperwork. After all, they're behind the court case that established the Fairness Doctrine. You'd think they'd be on top of that.

Does anyone know what's the story with that?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...