Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5LNB Dish to one HR22 - How many RG6 feeds from dish are needed??

picture width

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davefr

davefr

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

I've viewed all the KA/KU installation videos and it's not clear to me how many RG6 feeds you need from the dish to the home for a typical single receiver system (ex: HR22) HD/DVR installation?

I currently have a single LNB std. Direct TV self installation consisting of 100' of underground RG6. Do I need a second underground feed? I assume the second Sat In on the receiver is for DVR. Will I simply sacrifice DVR funtionality if I stick with one feed from dish to home?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GP245

GP245

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Unless you install an SWM, which only needs 1 cable coming into your home, you will need 2 cables connected to your HR22 to enable the ability to tune to two different channels.

Your HR22 will work with your current set up, but it will only be able to show and/or record one channel at a time.

#3 OFFLINE   jasonki32

jasonki32

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Your HR22 will work with your current set up, but it will only be able to show and/or record one channel at a time.

It will work, but he will also miss out on a lot of the HD channels since it is an old single lnb dish. To get the most out of your HR22 you will need a newer dish to get all of the programming for your HR22
HR24-500 Sony 46" LCD
HR24-500 Samsung 52" LCD
HR22-100 Sony 46" LCD
HR21-200 Sony 27"LCD
SWiM16 + DECA

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

I suggest that you have all four lines run from the dish for future expansion.
Unless, of course you get an SWM install.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

I've viewed all the KA/KU installation videos and it's not clear to me how many RG6 feeds you need from the dish to the home for a typical single receiver system (ex: HR22) HD/DVR installation?

I currently have a single LNB std. Direct TV self installation consisting of 100' of underground RG6. Do I need a second underground feed? I assume the second Sat In on the receiver is for DVR. Will I simply sacrifice DVR funtionality if I stick with one feed from dish to home?

You need a slimline dish. There are 2 different types of LNB technology you can put on that dish. One is SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), in which case your existing single coax should be sufficient. The other, legacy technology, will require four coax, and those should be solid copper center conductor (which you most likely do not have on your single run).

Even with the legacy LNB technology, you would still have DVR capability on your DVR with only one input. The only thing you would lose is the ability to watch one channel live while recording a second, or to record two shows at once.

spam firewall