Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

attention Utah (KJZZ carriage)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

has anyone in Utah noticed a message on KJZZ stating that they are going to lose KJZZ? Trying to confirm or squash a rumor
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Satelliteracer posted this earlier today and there is no mention of the station...

http://www.dbstalk.c...600&postcount=1
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

info confirmed by one of our good local people here in utah. thanks

#4 OFFLINE   gwar28

gwar28

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I got a text from Utah Jazz stating it is happening.

------ SMS Text ------
Sent: Dec 31, 2008 3:20 PM
Subject: After Dec.

After Dec. 31, DirecTV will not carry KJZZ TV ch. 14, which includes 12 remaining regular season Jazz games. Call 1-800-531-5000 with questions. Txt END 2 quit

#5 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

Where's Utah? :P
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#6 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

in the middle of the state of Greater Colevada

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Near Idaho .. Or is that Ida who? :scratchin
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

Near Idaho .. Or is that Ida who? :scratchin

that would be the long state of Idazona

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

that would be the long state of Idazona

Curt,
I have been out of town for about a week; went out to Denver to visit my son.
While flying I did look out the window. I didn't see no damn Utah! They wouldn't be loosing their radio station if they tied it down like normal folks anyhow!

It was a rough trip. It was dark most of the way. As we landed the pilot came on the PA and thanked us for flying with him. He said that even though the landing was a little rough, at least we didn't land in Utah. He was pretty sure we were in Colorado.

On the return fllight I saw the blue states and some green ones and a brown one or two but ...no Utah.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Even KSL was reporting on DirecTv losing KJZZ as of midnight New Year's Eve. While I get KJZZ fine over the air, I'm sure there will be more than a few Jazz fans who will be a little unhappy about this and missing at least 12 games. While the first thing that comes to mind is the sports leader isn't looking too sporty with this loss, it could be Larry Miller doesn't think he is getting the appropriate tithing for his station and DirecTv disagrees. Whether Mr. Miller is trying to make up for poor car sales or DirecTv dumped them for some other stupid reason, nobody wins, DirecTv is looking really bad in this market, and KSL with their huge audience is making sure to point that out.

Edited by aramus8, 01 January 2009 - 06:27 AM.

HR20-700, Hitachi 42HDS69, software version 1024.002, wireless network Linksys WRT54GR to WET54G, Slimline 3 lnb...2nd box D11-500

#11 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

to follow up, Kjzz is an independant station, owned by the Larry Miller Group. It seems that the agreement that they had to be carried by Directv expired, and the company failed to renew the agreement. I am sure an agreement will be reached soon. KJzz needs directv as much as Directv needs KJzz because their signal does not reach very far.

#12 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Actually, KJZZ has a very strong signal. I get a 100 percent signal on my HR20-700 at 110 miles away. Most local stations would be green with envy to radiate that kind of signal. The problem is in many mountainous areas, all of the Salt Lake DMA stations are hard to receive even close in and KJZZ doesn't have the translator network that covers parts of six states like some of the other market stations have. So, yes both companies need each other, but I get the impression that maybe the new Liberty Media controlled DirecTv doesn't really understand the rabid Utah Jazz fans and that they are getting a black eye over this over a pretty large area of the western states. This is something you could count on Dish to be involved in, not DirecTv. While I could care less about the Jazz anyway and am sure no fan of Mr. Miller, I'm not liking the direction this is going. It looks more and more like we are going from the sports and HD leader to the sports and HD loser.

Edited by aramus8, 01 January 2009 - 03:36 PM.

HR20-700, Hitachi 42HDS69, software version 1024.002, wireless network Linksys WRT54GR to WET54G, Slimline 3 lnb...2nd box D11-500

#13 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Larry's gonna need to sell a few more cars. :P

to follow up, Kjzz is an independant station, owned by the Larry Miller Group.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#14 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Curt,
I have been out of town for about a week; went out to Denver to visit my son.
While flying I did look out the window. I didn't see no damn Utah! They wouldn't be loosing their radio station if they tied it down like normal folks anyhow!

It was a rough trip. It was dark most of the way. As we landed the pilot came on the PA and thanked us for flying with him. He said that even though the landing was a little rough, at least we didn't land in Utah. He was pretty sure we were in Colorado.

On the return fllight I saw the blue states and some green ones and a brown one or two but ...no Utah.

Joe

that is so very very sad. Utah is west of colorado, so you would never have flown over Utah, but that is just as well as most of the planes that try to land at SLC airport overshoot the runway and up in the great salt lake or get shot down by Hill Airforce Base.
:sure::sure:

#15 OFFLINE   aramus8

aramus8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

Larry's gonna need to sell a few more cars. :P

Larry could also pick up a few more bucks if he would stop censoring what he shows in his movie theaters.

#16 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

It's near Alabama

Go Utes!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...