Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tearing my hair out trying to install SL5-SWM with HR22-100

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   expatkiwi

expatkiwi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

First time post.

The short story:

Going mobile. Grabbed an HR22-100 from home and picked up a SL5S dish (the new one with built-in SWM). But I cant get the two to work together. With the dish pointed, I can only see the one sat at 119 (all transponders) - that's it - no 99, 101, 103 or 110 ??

The slightly longer story:

I have, at home, an SL3 set-up (DTV installed) with two HR22-100s and a legacy DirecTivo. Here I am, on sabbatical, out in the sticks, with one of the HR22s from home and a new SL5S dish - trying to get TV. All my initial research suggested this wouldn't be to difficult so I long as I had a little patience with the dish calibrating. I was up for the task.

I took my time assembling the SL5S (correct elevation, tilt, etc for the zip I am in). I installed the dish plumb and pointed it roughly in the right direction before hooking up the HR22. With no meter, I planned on using the HR22 signal strength meters as my guide. The first time I attempted to get this to work the HR22 booted up still in multi-switch SL3 mode (no suprise, given that was the home configuration). Oddly, it seemed to work enough for me to get a lock on sat 101. I clamped the mast down at that point and proceeded to fine tune - moving next to 103. Nothing. I realized, at that point, that I had made a stupid error - I'd forgotten to install the Power Inserter to feed the on-dish SWM. Rectified. But now, with the PI in-line, I was unable to see 101. I started over, restored settings, and this time I selected the correct dish from the sat setup screen - No. 18: Slimline-5S (SWS). But still nothing. I cannot see anything but 119 (strong signal).

I have tried numerous attempts to resolve but without success - and am know beginning to wonder if I have somehow damaged the receiver (although I cannot think how).

At some point I lost the ability to select Dish configurations at the satellite setup screen. All that shows is the Slimline-5S (SWM) option greyed out. Restoring settings only restores it to the same setting.

My intuition suggests that I may have 'confused' the receiver with the initial, and incorrect, SL3 multi-switch setup. But I've not figured out a way to reset to a factory state so that I may start over.

Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

redo guided setup and tell it single lnb 101 only.
Let it reboot then unplug and redo guided setup with correct dish/lnb combo

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

First time post.

The short story:

Going mobile. Grabbed an HR22-100 from home and picked up a SL5S dish (the new one with built-in SWM). But I cant get the two to work together. With the dish pointed, I can only see the one sat at 119 (all transponders) - that's it - no 99, 101, 103 or 110 ??

I have, at home, an SL3 set-up (DTV installed) with two HR22-100s and a legacy DirecTivo. Here I am, on sabbatical, out in the sticks, with one of the HR22s from home and a new SL5S dish - trying to get TV. All my initial research suggested this wouldn't be to difficult so I long as I had a little patience with the dish calibrating. I was up for the task.

I took my time assembling the SL5S (correct elevation, tilt, etc for the zip I am in). I installed the dish plumb and pointed it roughly in the right direction before hooking up the HR22. With no meter, I planned on using the HR22 signal strength meters as my guide. The first time I attempted to get this to work the HR22 booted up still in multi-switch SL3 mode (no suprise, given that was the home configuration). Oddly, it seemed to work enough for me to get a lock on sat 101. I clamped the mast down at that point and proceeded to fine tune - moving next to 103. Nothing. I realized, at that point, that I had made a stupid error - I'd forgotten to install the Power Inserter to feed the on-dish SWM. Rectified. But now, with the PI in-line, I was unable to see 101. I started over, restored settings, and this time I selected the correct dish from the sat setup screen - No. 18: Slimline-5S (SWS). But still nothing. I cannot see anything but 119 (strong signal).

I have tried numerous attempts to resolve but without success - and am know beginning to wonder if I have somehow damaged the receiver (although I cannot think how).

At some point I lost the ability to select Dish configurations at the satellite setup screen. All that shows is the Slimline-5S (SWM) option greyed out. Restoring settings only restores it to the same setting.

My intuition suggests that I may have 'confused' the receiver with the initial, and incorrect, SL3 multi-switch setup. But I've not figured out a way to reset to a factory state so that I may start over.

Any ideas?

connecting a rcvr to a swm setup puts the dish in swm mode which makes it near impossible to aim the dish for that lnb you need a signal meter, not the rcvr
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#4 OFFLINE   glassWind

glassWind

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

redo guided setup and tell it single lnb 101 only.
Let it reboot then unplug and redo guided setup with correct dish/lnb combo

Doctor j

I agree your options.:hurah: But I want to see the radio. Because I'm interesed it.
very long day hair accessories

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Any ideas?

Going into the menu and doing a reset/ reset everything should get you back to the factory defaults.

As to why only 119 was being "found": Dishpoint gives both magnetic north and "true" north. "If" [I've done this] you have the dish pointed too far east, what you get is 101 being picked up as 119. It is easier to see when the opposite happens and you get 119 picked up as 101, because the transponders have zeros below 22.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

I would recommend the OP get a standard SL5 LNB for use in aiming the dish. Once the dish has been properly aimed, the SWM LNB can be swapped in place. As others have mentioned, without a good sat meter and power-passing splitter, aiming using a SWM LNB is virtually impossible.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

I would recommend the OP get a standard SL5 LNB for use in aiming the dish. Once the dish has been properly aimed, the SWM LNB can be swapped in place. As others have mentioned, without a good sat meter and power-passing splitter, aiming using a SWM LNB is virtually impossible.

:confused: "virtually"?
I use my receiver to align my SWM dish. I really don't find it any harder than using my non SWM LNB.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   dhking

dhking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

First time post.

The short story:

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem recently with an install at my lake house. The dish was installed an on a 4x4, set in concrete, away from the house that I was certain was level and plumb and had a clear view of the correct skyline. I've set up dishes in random places a lot with not trouble - including clamping one to the top of an SUV in the parking lot of a football game - and never took more than 30 minutes at most. But, with the one I the lake I messed with it for about 4 hours and could never get it right - had set it to the elevation that was given to me by the receiver based on zip code - and I had move the thing laterally almost 180 degrees. Finally, in desperation, I pointed it manually pointed it a the compus setting that I knew was about right and then loosened the elevation screw, pointed it at the ground and slowly eleveated it. Then, bang, it locked onto a strong signal, I tightned in down, proceeded with the fine tuning and was done in 20 minutes. What I found was the the actual elevation (as read on the dish dial) was a full 10 degrees below the setting that was give me based on zip code. I don't know if my lake house sits a an elevation that casued me to need a lower dish elevation setting, or what.

My long winded point is - you know about what the compus setting should be and you can trust a good compus to get you in the right range to get the 119 sat - but don't trust the elevation setting that you get from D*. Start at the horizon and slowly - and I mean very slowly - move up till you get a signal - then fine tune.

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

The only way elevation would be significantly affected by location would be if you were at the peak of a very, very, very, very tall mountain (or the reverse, an extremely deep trench).

Most likely, you were using the bolt as the elevation pointer, it's not by the way. Or something was damaged on your dish.

I've installed hundreds of these, and I have yet to see one be more than 1 or 2 degress off on elevation from what the receiver spits out.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   dhking

dhking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

That is what I thought. The lake is at 804 feet above sea level - and the entire zip code is around the lake. I was using the little arrow - not the bolt - to align the number. And I too have never had one off like that - which is why is spent 4 hours on the horizontal alignment before messing with vertical. However, the dish box was a little banged up when it arrived from ups - so maybe something got damaged in shipping. Just saying, if you point it where you think the Sat should be, and it's not there, don't rule out any options in trouble shooting it.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

^ all true.. but if you're getting "one SAT" [as the OP], then you're in the ballpark, yet might be off on the Az and looking at the wrong SAT.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...