Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Streaming video/photos/music to HR21

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

well until yesterday, I had media sharing working on my HR20's and HR21's. All of a sudden, the option is no longer available on my units. Did DirecTV shut down the service, or do I have a hardware issue??

I was successfully watching Netflix/Hulu (using playon) as well as media streamed through WMP11 to my HR20's....now it's gone

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

DirecTV has nothing to do with that connection... it is strictly on your network. Check the network connections on the HR's... sounds like it has lost track of the network.
When it has a valid network connection the menu choice will return.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

I reset the receiver and it came back.

My network was fine, as I could play VOD downloads fine, but the "music photos & more" options simply vanished from my reciever.

I guess it as just a receiver hiccup. Glad DTV didn't bail on the Beta!

#4 OFFLINE   pprather

pprather

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

It could be as simple as rebooting your computer or box to see if that brings it back. It is still available. I've been using it all night tonight.

#5 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

thanks, but as I already posted, resetting the HR21 brought it back. For some reason, VOD worked, but the streaming went away.

I've been using Playon to stream Hulu and Netlflix, and it's really great to have that available on the HR21/HR20

#6 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

OK, it's doing it again. My network is fine, and "on demand" is working. However, at least 2 of my receivers simply doesn't display the "music photos & more" anymore.

I've reset the receivers, but it's just not there. Has DirecTV shut me down??

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

OK, it's doing it again. My network is fine, and "on demand" is working. However, at least 2 of my receivers simply doesn't display the "music photos & more" anymore.

I've reset the receivers, but it's just not there. Has DirecTV shut me down??

Thanks

I'd like a more informative answer to this question also because my option for photos music and more constantly disappears on both of my HR20-700's. Play On is working fine and even after stopping and restarting both the DVR's and also the Play On Mod sometimes it will show-but disappear later or not show up at all. I suspect D* box is having a problem maintaining a network connection.

#8 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

I would just like to be able to stream photos/music consistently. Worked great for a few weeks.....now that I've run Cat5 to all of my receivers, it's stopped again.

It is nice having the On Demand feature, but the Playon and PC streaming is a real 'value ad'

#9 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

I would just like to be able to stream photos/music consistently. Worked great for a few weeks.....now that I've run Cat5 to all of my receivers, it's stopped again.

It is nice having the On Demand feature, but the Playon and PC streaming is a real 'value ad'

I couldn't agree more about the added vaule. We like to watch the older shows after we've gone to bed but because the unit is in the basement it is not worth the trip or the time downstairs to keep hitting the reset button to restore the Music,Photos and more folder. Aparently, either the constant resets don't bother others or no one knows why these receivers just get stupid over the course of one power down. I've tried everything to the point of having my firewall down, sharing everything I could find and totally exposing my computer network, nothing would work to keep this option available and obviously this is not how you would want to have to work it anyways. Perhaps they will stuble across the fix to this but I am starting to look into Media Servers as an option.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

If it was working before you did this, you may have a local network issue or wirring error?

#11 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

I have a PS3, so I can stream throught that, but I have 3 DirecTV DVR's, and I'd like to use ALL of them.

No, the problem re-occured prior to my new networking. Again, the OnDemand networking works fine, as do all of my other wired and wireless devices. The DVR's, just seem to not have the feature enabled anymore.

#12 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

just checked, and my 3rd receiver still works fine. Haven't compared firmware updates, but it is the oldest of my 3 direcTV DVR's.

#13 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

anybody have any update????? 1 of my 3 receivers still works, but the other 2 gives me no menu item any more, although On Demand and other network services work fine.

Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

My guess is the media server suppling the music and photos to the network. Make sure that the devices, Directv equipment, are actually checked in the media server software to share to that equipment and restart the PC running the media server software. Certain types of firewall settings can also play havoc on this connection in the home network. If you have updated/changed the type of anti-virus software and/or changed your firewall setting, check those as well.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#15 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

I'll go back over everything, but everything streams fine to my PS3 and one of my HR's, but the other two (which used to work) just don't seem to even look for the networks.

I'll keep trying.

#16 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

The other thing that may be check worthy is whether the PC is 'going to sleep' - sleep mode prevents the server software from responding to the search messages your devices send. I don't think the HR's send any kind of wake on lan packets.

#17 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

Are your receivers setup to get their addresses automatically (DHCP)? Their leases may be expiring in the server.

Edit: wouldn't explain the DoD still operating, nevermind...

Edited by BattleScott, 26 January 2009 - 11:35 AM.
stupidity...

HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#18 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

I appreciate ALL of the comments, but my PC never sleeps, and like I said, one DVR and PS3 works fine, while the other 2 simply don't have the "Music videos photos" folder anymore, although On Demand works fine.

#19 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

When I first set up my network, I lost the Music, Photos, & More almost daily. I changed the network settings on the D* receiver to a static IP address and it has been fine ever since.

#20 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

OK, My apoligies...I know WHAT the problem is, but I don't know HOW to fix it.

I have 2 routers.....the primary is connected to my PC and the DVR that's working. The 2nd router connects the other 2 DVR's to the system. I didn't even think about it since the internet works.

I don't have enough ports on either router to just run one, plus it would require a lot more cabling to do it that way. Any ideas how to let the DVR's on the 2nd router access my server on the primary???

I'm sure I need to "port forward", adjust my "route list" etc, but I don't know which router to set or what to enter. I tried entering the DVR's DNS info into my primary router's "route list", but it didn't like my attempt.

Any advice is appreciated!

spam firewall