Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

media share codecs, transcoding, inconsistency, confusion....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RCKYMTN

RCKYMTN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

I have installed and tried various mediashare software with various success, including WMP11, Tversity, Twonky, ORB and Nero mediahome 4 to my hr 21's. Just trying to find that one program that I can use consistently for photos, video and music. Seems like one with take care of one type of media, that the other won't on the hr21's. I know there is a ton on info on codecs and transcoding, etc, but the more I read, the more I confuse myself, so I am not sure why I get some of these inconsistencies with the various programs..

WMP11 - will play my mp3's and photos (jpgs), but get an X by the mpg videos. Also, will not play wma, drm free music. All of these I can play on my computer using WMP11.

Tversity - works the best on all media formats above, but will not stream AVCHD from my camcorder, however, Twonky will on my ps3. I also downloaded the codecs and the most recent version of Tversity.

twonky - will not play mpg videos on the hr21 that Tversity will play. Will stream music and photos. However, twonky will stream avchd video on the ps3 flawlessly, with FF, RW, etc.

Nero Mediahome 4 - the most recent version. Can't get that to recognize any media format, all have X's by them - photos, music and video. Also, does not recongize the files in my "folders", can only see them if I select "all", etc. on the menu.

Orb - I like the folder structure of orb the best, but video is extremely slow and choppy, can't play mp3 music files, all have an X by them, photos work.

I have not dowloaded any other codecs other than what I downloaded with Tversity.

I am still trying to figure out all the codec technology, what it means and how it applies to the transcoding. Codecs are needed to transcode the media type if needed for the HR21 to play it, correct? Part of my problem is my lack of understanding of which codec to use, how to use them, when to transcode, etc. Not sure if I want a full understanding, but enough to try to get that "one size fits all mediashare" for both the HR21 and my ps3. I don't have a ps3 at every TV, and like how you can play music and photos at the same time on the HR21's. The PS3 seems however to do a much better job with the various media servers and is more consistent, and solid.

I also probably have so many codecs loaded from the various programs, I am probably messing something up. I try to experiment with one server loaded at a time.

I know there is ton of great info and most rehashed a lot, but still somewhat confused or frustrated why there isn't one program that will do it all, and do it right on the HR's. It seems that everybody's situation is different - some can play one format, while others can't, etc.

Specifically looking for any advice on what I might need to do to get the X's off my music files in ORB as that program looks promising, and why I get the X's on my video files in WMP11, when the other programs seem to work.

Do I need to "deactivate" any codecs that might be running on the computer? Media share is an awesome feature, just wish it was more plug and play.

Thanks for any advice..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,949 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

I don't have answers to your specific questions, but the HR20 will only support the following formats (any others need to be transcoded by your media server):

Music - LPCM (WAV)
Video - MPEG-2 (TS, transport stream is needed so the audio tracks will play)
Pictures - JPEG

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

And the reason that the PS3 works "better" is because it has internal support for a lot more codecs/formats than the HR does. And the HR only has a low-power general purpose CPU, and can't do any converting internally. Video processing is handled by separate decoder chips that can only decode MPEG2 and MPEG4 (the latter not [yet] supported via Media Share, but might be in the future). The PS3 has a much more powerful processor.

So, all of these media sharing programs must be set up to transcode your various formats into the format the HR can understand, which means a considerable amount of configuration in most cases. And of course, WMP11 doesn't transcode anything. WMP12 *will*, though. Look for it in Windows 7.

#4 OFFLINE   man00

man00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

This is the first time I even heard of Media Share.

#5 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

This is the first time I even heard of Media Share.

It's nothing new but it is still in a beta stage right now. If you have a good home network then you can play music through the receiver pretty well but videos can be frustrating as seen above.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#6 OFFLINE   man00

man00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

It's nothing new but it is still in a beta stage right now. If you have a good home network then you can play music through the receiver pretty well but videos can be frustrating as seen above.

I hope is isn't more frustrating than setting up wireless internet connection.

#7 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

I assume you mean a wireless connection on your receiver? I haven't had to do that. But a wireless home network usually isn't too hard. Some are easier then others I guess.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Configuring a server to handle transcoding, and getting all the codecs to work properly, IS definitely more challenging than setting up a WiFi connection.

It does look like this is going to be changing in the future, as WMP12 will support transcoding, and (at least the Win7 version) will ship with most codecs pre-installed. Currently, with WMP11 or lower, videos are not much of a reality, since almost ZERO video that you'll get from any common source will be encoded in the format the HR2x's can understand. Thus the current need for a 3rd-party media share software package like TVersity, which can handle the transcoding, once it is configured properly.

spam firewall