Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV installation problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevin75

kevin75

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

I just moved into an apartment complex on the first floor and the DTV installer came out yesterday and said that he couldn't install my HDTV dish because there was nowhere to install it because there wasn't any place sturdy enough for the support. I asked him about using a tripod type thing but he said the only other option was a pole in the ground, but my apt. manager said that's a no-go.

The installer had not been doing it very long, so I was told they would send a more experienced installer out for a second opinion. When he comes out, if he tells me the same thing, I have read about people using the non penetrating mounts. I found this one:

http://www.thesatell...rma3-p-863.html

but I was wondering if it HAD to be used on the roof, or could I simply put it on the concrete porch of our apt., put some cinder blocks on it and be good to go?

And for that matter, I would have to go ahead and buy it and have it here when the installer gets here because I wouldn't think that DTV sells them?

One more question, if i ordered this mount, would I need anything else as far as adaptors, etc?

Edited by kevin75, 02 January 2009 - 11:18 AM.
forgot details

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rocket69

rocket69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

non pen on ground shuld work just fine if he can have line of sight to the 101,99,103 if not then tripod wuld work just make sure they anker the tripod to your poarch with lag sheilds or tap con blue screws. Tripod shuld be fine aslong as the pole is not higher then 5' and its ancord down to prevent movement... Dont let those SOB's tell you ther is no line of sight use xxx.dishpointer.cXX to calculate your location for 101w directtv then get a compus to make sure your los is clear from trees 3 story buildings ect.. Iv gone to many locations whear direct and dish say no LOS but 80% of the time i get them up and running with no problems ..

" Why Would You Every Pay More"
Dish Fees $50(Sold 3X722 1x 612)
DirecTv Fees $30 (3xHR24 1 H24) $180
Saved a year with DirecTv!

#3 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hello,

I just moved into an apartment complex on the first floor and the DTV installer came out yesterday and said that he couldn't install my HDTV dish because there was nowhere to install it because there wasn't any place sturdy enough for the support. I asked him about using a tripod type thing but he said the only other option was a pole in the ground, but my apt. manager said that's a no-go.

The installer had not been doing it very long, so I was told they would send a more experienced installer out for a second opinion. When he comes out, if he tells me the same thing, I have read about people using the non penetrating mounts. I found this one:

http://www.thesatell...rma3-p-863.html

but I was wondering if it HAD to be used on the roof, or could I simply put it on the concrete porch of our apt., put some cinder blocks on it and be good to go?

And for that matter, I would have to go ahead and buy it and have it here when the installer gets here because I wouldn't think that DTV sells them?

One more question, if i ordered this mount, would I need anything else as far as adaptors, etc?

The only issues with putting the mount on the ground are 1) is the place you want it an exclusive use area for you and 2) do you have los issues where you want it.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

litzdog911 has a site that has worked fairly well for me:D
try here:
http://gjullien.fr/satellite.htm
you will have to plug in your lat and long and the SATELLITE
Any place you see the sun for all 3 sats(99/101/103) you can put your dish there:D
Jimmy

#5 OFFLINE   kevin75

kevin75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

thanks for the input. the porch that we have is ours to use, so putting something on it wouldn't be a problem, i don't think. the line of sight i don't think should be an issue either as the only thing in the way of the dish, is the 2 story buildings that are about 200 ft. away.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,936 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

Bucket mounts are typically not recommended for professional installations of the Slimline dishes. Tripods may or may not be off-limits by installer policy due to issues with lashing them down. Non-penetrating mounts on the patio are likely on your dime.

#7 OFFLINE   kevin75

kevin75

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

so i have a couple of more questions....

1. by bucket mount, do you mean putting a post in a bucket of concrete?

2. i tried to find out what the dish model number would be so that i could get a non-penatrative mount, but all they could tell me is that it was a slimline dish. it will be a 5 LNB dish for HD reception but do i need any specific sort of NP mount (like the one above) or could i use this one:

http://eyeinthesky.n...w_full_desc.cgi

does anyone have any good recommendations as to a good flat mount?

again, thanks for all of your help.

#8 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yes, the bucket mount is a pole and cement in a bucket.

Your new dish will need a 2 inch OD pipe for mounting. The non-penetrating mount on your referenced site has a 2 inch mast and requires 8 cement blocks stacked on the grid for stability. That mount will work with the Slimline dish.

#9 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Apparently muffler shops are good places to find 2" OD pipe.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#10 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Some fence companies carry 2 in OD posts also
I had good luck with one local one just 2 weeks ago:D
Also you can try a place that sell those Instant GaragesSome of those tubes that are part of the shell are 2 in pipe also.
Jimmy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...