Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible bad triple LNB w/ internal switch?

hdmi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   US Navy Husker

US Navy Husker

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

I am trying to install an older dish with an Eagle DTVP3 triple LNB (w/ built in multi-switch) and one Philips SD receiver. I am not able to get any signal out of the LNB (0s across the board on 101, 110 and 119). I have checked and verified the cable and receiver.

I have been doing the home installation for quite a few years and never had a problem. I installed the dish in a location that has no obstructions. I verified (5 times) that it is pointed in the correct area for the zip using a compass. The elevation is good as well as the tilt.

I did notice that the plastic cover on the back of the LNB was cracked as if it had been dropped. I checked the resistance to ground on all four of the lines and they are all between 5.28M and 5.33M. Has anyone ever seen one of these go bad and what indications did you get?

Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

I would verify your settings with here: http://www.dishpointer.com/

I think the SD settings are pointing you to the 101, while the old phase III is centered on the 110.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   US Navy Husker

US Navy Husker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

I tried the site you gave and was about 15 deg off in az and 3 in el. I would think I should get at least a few low #s being that close. I will give that a shot in a day or so and see what I get. Thank you for the info!
Nik

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,799 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

I tried the site you gave and was about 15 deg off in az and 3 in el.

dishpointer.com is pretty accurate and I suspect you didn't use the tool correctly if you show those kind of differences. Make sure you set the satellite to "DirecTV 3 LNB (101W, 110W, 119W)".

I'd guess that the LNB was damaged when it was dropped or as a result of subsequent moisture incursion.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

I tried the site you gave and was about 15 deg off in az and 3 in el. I would think I should get at least a few low #s being that close. I will give that a shot in a day or so and see what I get. Thank you for the info!
Nik

"I think" this may be due to true north verse magnetic.

Look for the setup to the 110 SAT, since this is what the dish needs to center on.
"The site is correct", how you use it may be "your problem".
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   US Navy Husker

US Navy Husker

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

I did not use the "multi-LNB " setup. When I did, I got the exact figures that I was using. I am really beginning to lean toward a bad set of LNBs. Does anyone know where I can get a really cheap replacement?

Thanks again!

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

maybe: http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:2|240:1308
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

This dish has to be perfectly plumb and level for starters. Make sure you know where the tilt mark is, different brands of 3-sat dishes have it set different. Elevation is very important, try to move it up 1 degree at a time.
When it comes to LNB's I can barely remember ever having one bad 3-sat lnb, those are very durable

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hdmi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...